Help with Higgs?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Help with Higgs?

Postby TDKs on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 pm

I hope I'm justified and correct in my handling of Mr Greene. Would any of my fellow pirates be interested in wading into the shallows and correcting me where I might wobble on the deck? The FSM made a simple post and it's kinda getting out of hand. :confused:

https://plus.google.com/104168088234260 ... jHL5hadFdH
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: Help with Higgs?

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:19 pm

You're doing just fine. Step out of the arena for a moment and look at the game so far.

Greene is (allegedly) an atheist. He does not believe in any gods, but he does not approve of bashing religion.

Nevertheless, he bashes your religion, because he says it is not a real religion and mocks real religions.

What is the difference between your religion and the religions we allegedly mock? Nothing, apart from the alleged existence of our god. We fit all the same criteria as 'real' religions do. So the only real distinction between 'real' religions and our 'mock' religion is that apparently their god exists, but ours doesn't.

Except that Mr. Greene is allegedly an atheist, and does not believe in the existence of any gods.

My suspicion is that he is a rather poor atheist.

My suspicion is that he actually believes in god.

He is not happy about this, he is not at peace with this internal contradiction, this cognitive dissonance. So he's taking it out on you.

So how do you, as a good religious believer, want react to that? Do you want to confront him about his internal struggle? Do you want to offer him FSMism for 30 days, and if he doesn't like it he can have his atheism back? Or do you just want to love the sinner but hate the sin?

It's up to you. Consult the eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" and choose the approach you're happiest with. I think you're doing great so far. Good luck!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby TDKs on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Eloquently put Mr Hunter.

I have offered to teach him, yet he literally doesn't heed my words. However, you can lead a man to pasta, but you cannot make him eat. I can't as yet like him, but I would not turn him away if he was in need of sustenance - spiritually or spaghettily. :zen:

On the other hand, I had an email from a reader of the same thread informing me that he has joined the Fedelini - he went to look at the Venganza "How to join" page and accidentally managed to join. You know, because there isn't actually the requirement to join. :drinking:

I'd say that was success in its own right - and I'll keep going the way I usually go. I'm seriously looking forwards to cooking al forno meatballs for the Mormons when they next visit!
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 am

Keep up wiff thee ARRGHing !matey!
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility