Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:22 pm

An acquaintance playing at a pub. Not great. Way too heavy on the bass through the mixer, can't hardly hear the mids and highs. Covering old Beatles tunes and the like. Meh.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:25 am

Fly At Night, by Chilliwack.
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome
David Bowie - Requiem For A Laughing Gnome
Dropkick Murphys - Nut Rocker
Chris Leutwyler - Snowy (on a loop!)
Richard Jacques - Green Grove Act 2

I'm trying to listen to blisteringly happy music on the recommendation of my psychotherapist, to keep me from drowning my profound, nonsensical bipolar depression in food, which I guess I'm doing anyway. Unfortunately my collection of blisteringly happy music is limited. Hopefully it will at least last long enough for my favorite chat room to start working again and for my friends to come in and talk to me.

I'm getting irritated with all the blistering now. Time for lunch, I guess.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Immigrant, Immigrant, Immigrant Punk! Read: Gogol Bordello
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Warren McIntyre and the Starry Skies.

It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it.
:hipster_fsm:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm

A pair of hairy woodpeckers (Picoides villosus) chattering to each other about how best to access the suet feeder outside my kitchen window.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 am

The 'Sex Pirates' again, in concert by the Riverside.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Tokyo by Bruce Cockburn from the Humans LP.
Remembering St. John
Mad Willyum Bonney

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Warren McIntyre and the Starry Skies.

It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it.
:hipster_fsm:

You mean THIS? Yeah, i've heard of them. They're really popular. All my friends have all their albums... :evilgrin:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Franz Ferdinand - I'm Your Villain
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:You mean THIS? Yeah, I've heard of them. They're really popular. All my friends have all their albums... :evilgrin:
I was at school with Warren. He thought I was an arse because I played classical music in the school orchestra and in a brass band. I thought he was an arse because he smoked (and thought it was cool) and dogged school to go to record shops.

We met about 8-10 years later when his band The Moondials was on the same bill as my band. It was a bit awkward at first, but after the gig he said "Well played. You're still a prick." I said "OK Warren, coming from someone whose opinion I value as much as yours, that certainly means something." Best of buddies ever since.

The Moondials fucking rocked, by the way. I would rather have seen The Moondials make it than seen me make it. Bit of Beatles, bit of Stones, bit of Hollies, bit of Moody Blues, and a bit of Beach Boys. I'm away to look out my old vinyl...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 am

^ Such are the strange vagueries of life, Roy. Similar has happened to me, where someone took an instant dislike to me upon first meeting, then some years later we're close friends. I hope they make it too, as they sound good.

I've been listening to the wind, and the oversensitive burglar alarm of one of the neighbours, inbetween some Mozart.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm

My bleeding heart
Remembering St. John
Mad Willyum Bonney

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am

Yesterday I listened to "The Papercut Chronicles" by Gym Class Heroes again, for the first time in years. I believe I've told you all this before, but as a reminder, I wrote a critical review of it while I was at UMass Boston for my Freshman Composition 2 class my second semester, while I was extremely manic. I got the paper back and I got a good grade but my professor made some incredulous comments in red ink about my outlandish claims. I've been too embarrassed to listen to it ever since.

But as I was listening to music on shuffle yesterday while I put away my laundry, "Apollo 3-1-5" from the album started playing, and I thought, "This is really good. I'll give the album another listen from the beginning and see if I can get over my embarrassment." And I did. It's such an excellent album, one of my favorites. It took a long time for me to get over it, but I really loved it. I'm glad I can listen to it again. :fsm_rock:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm bored so going through an alphabetical Youtube history. The idea is pressing a key, then looking at the listed history and choosing a Youtube video from that.

For example:
h: Johnny Cash - Hurt
i: The Prodigy vs. Ini Kamoze - Smack My Hotstepper Up
j: Papa Roach - Getting Away With Murder (no, I have no idea why that's under j either)
k: Shaggy vs. Rage Against The Machine - Killing Boombastic

It turns out my taste in Youtube videos is almost entirely music and also rather odd :idiot:

Edit- 'x' turned up Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors