What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Ravi Oli on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 am

^ Dint ye mean Greg Peck?
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Quite a good movie. Some things near the end got tied up a little too cleanly for my tastes read: the mother, but all in all a wonderful film. I mean, Judi Dench and Bill Nighy, not to mention the rest of the great cast... can't really go wrong.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby gronank on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Vertigo

Kim Novak is pretty, but not quite as pretty as Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:16 am

gronank wrote:Vertigo

Kim Novak is pretty, but not quite as pretty as Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca

Both beautiful women...in tricky situations
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 am

Ravi Oli wrote:^ Dint ye mean Greg Peck?

Greg played Atticus Finch, the lawyer who defended Tom Robinson, but you are correct in that Henry Fonda was not in it. Did you also know that Robert Duvall played Boo Radley? I didn't know that for years, and it surprised me when I found out.

I watched all three The NeverEnding Story films. The first was a nostalgic trip to my childhood. The second wasn't as good, as they changed not only the actor and actress who played Bastian and the Child-like Empress (I know it was made 6 years later, which would have made them both far too old), but also the actor who played his father, putting in someone much younger. At least they kept Mr Coriander the bookkeeper. The third was a bit of a travesty, as they not only changed Bastain and the Child-like Empress yet again (only 4 years later here) , but they even changed the voice of the Luck Dragon, and the actor who played the Mr Coriander!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 am

Roland Deschain wrote:
Ravi Oli wrote:^ Dint ye mean Greg Peck?

Greg played Atticus Finch, the lawyer who defended Tom Robinson, but you are correct in that Henry Fonda was not in it. Did you also know that Robert Duvall played Boo Radley? I didn't know that for years, and it surprised me when I found out.

That is correct. Henry Fonda played juror no. 8 in 12 angry men, the voice of reasonable doubt. I thought one of those was needed in To Kill a Mockingbird. I will try to keep my brows not quite so high in the future.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:The third was a bit of a travesty, as they not only changed Bastain and the Child-like Empress yet again (only 4 years later here) , but they even changed the voice of the Luck Dragon, and the actor who played the Mr Coriander!

Yeah but it had Jack Black.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:02 pm

So I went to see Snow White of Arc.
It also had exciting bits of King Arthur and LOTR thrown in. My favorite part was hearing several people in the audience gasp aloud what we were all reading on the end credits:
"STUNT DOUBLES FOR DWARVES!?!"
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Prometheus.

A bit disappointed, I have to say. You could have made a good story-based movie out of it, or you could have made a good effects and explosions movie out of it, but I felt it was a bit of both and not enough of either.

Blatant set-up for a sequel at the end, too. Hope you try a bit harder next time, Mr. Scott.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 pm

I trust it was sufficiently frightening/suspenseful though? I'm likely seeing it near the end of the month with my girlfriend. So I guess what I'm really asking is if it's a good date movie. :P

We just watched the second half (roughly) of the first Star Trek movie, because it happened to be on TV. That's an interestingly bad movie right there, I tell ya. Some interesting philosophical concepts, sure, and the twist is pretty good (though actually trying to understand how it's supposed to all work is a futile effort, methinks), but that basically accounts for a full 3 minutes of the movie time. The rest of it is a depressing attempt to be like 2001: A Space Odyssey, which even 2010: A Space Odyssey couldn't do right (from what I understand).

Not really sure why McCoy was there at all, but he remains my favorite character.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

So I went to see A. Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

As the theater was packed with 20-somethings and younger, I wondered how many knew the plot turning points were built around actual events from his life, albeit presented with dramatically fictional causes. There were a few testosterone-infested individuals loudly braying at the screen, and their loud guffaws at MT-L's warning that they would be late for the theater took me aback, but I digress. That said, I have to admit I rather enjoyed it; even the Matrix-and Vendetta-influenced slooooo-mooooo/stop action gouts of visual-effects axe-sprayed blood were OK.

I am curious as to how this film will be received/reviewed by the dedicated Creationist Cracker crowd... :whistle:
pieces o'nine

Postby gronank on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:10 pm

I don't suppose John Wilkes Booth was a Vampire hunter hunter?
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:I am curious as to how this film will be received/reviewed by the dedicated Creationist Cracker crowd... :whistle:

Question: are the vampires a metaphor for the Rebels/South/slave owner? Because I kind of got that impression from the previews.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:I am curious as to how this film will be received/reviewed by the dedicated Creationist Cracker crowd... :whistle:

Question: are the vampires a metaphor for the Rebels/South/slave owner? Because I kind of got that impression from the previews.

Pretty much. :evilgrin:
[SHOCKING SPOILER] If not for the shipment of confiscated silver being sent south via the Underground Railroad, to be fashioned into bayonets, miniballs, and such, the South would have won the day at Gettysburg. [/SHOCKING SPOILER]
pieces o'nine

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:57 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Prometheus.

A bit disappointed, I have to say. You could have made a good story-based movie out of it, or you could have made a good effects and explosions movie out of it, but I felt it was a bit of both and not enough of either.

Blatant set-up for a sequel at the end, too. Hope you try a bit harder next time, Mr. Scott.

You should pay more attention to the pirate threads Roy, could have saved you some money.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors