What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat May 12, 2012 4:00 am

gronank wrote:12 agry men

I was pleasantly suprised. It kept being interesting all the way through.
It's an adaptation of a stage play. It seems to me that this makes good movies, although not too many car chases or underwater drilling scenes.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Arkaeon on Sun May 13, 2012 2:10 am

Hmm... looks like I get Alien Resurrection Sigourney, then. (as Dr. Smith said: "A monster knows its own").

I watched Kymatica (2009) yesterday. It wasn't sure what it wanted to be, something about the future and enlightenment and sloppy pseudoscience correlations and harmonic waves and let's all hate the ruling families stuff. The narrator says "shaman" a lot, but he doesn't seem to understand anything about it. I think it was done... with magnets! At least it was a step up from the UFO people. I guess it meant well.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby gronank on Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 am

I continued the streak of classical movies and saw Casablanca. It was a nice change of pace to see a movie about falling out of love for once.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun May 13, 2012 8:04 am

gronank wrote:I continued the streak of classical movies and saw Casablanca. It was a nice change of pace to see a movie about falling out of love for once.
I delivered a training course for teenagers with mental health problems about writing and producing short films. After the first of eight meetings, we all went away and watched Casablanca, and took notes about the way it had been written and produced, all the quirky little things that made it a great movie.

We never got any further: the next seven weeks were all about de-constructing Casablanca in minute detail. We never talked about writing or producing our own films, we never even looked at a camera, a mike or even a storyboard. We talked about Casablanca for seven two-hour sessions.

Then I got sacked*. But at least I know a lot about Casablanca...

* "We need to look at the evaluations for this in some detail, against the expected learning outcomes, because although the participants have been extremely happy with the work you've done, we somehow feel that it may have deviated from the original brief. We'll get back to you when we want to run the course again." No shit? Also, no phone call...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 am

Not seen Casablanca for a while. I may watch it soon. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of my life. :whistle:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Wolfenstein on Sun May 13, 2012 12:56 pm

I saw the Looney Toons parody of Casablanca before I saw the actual movie. I remember feeling sorry for Sylvester.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Wolfenstein on Sun May 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Transformers: revenge of the fallen. It feels like my childhood got a little raped.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby gronank on Sun May 13, 2012 8:51 pm

seven samurai

A tad bit long but otherwise a good movie.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 am

gronank wrote:seven samurai

I like Yojimbo.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 pm

black bart wrote:
gronank wrote:seven samurai

I like Yojimbo.

One can notice that some of the creators in the western genre weren't very picky about original stories
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby gronank on Fri May 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Wall-E
There is something about ineptness in combination with resolve that is incredibly cute.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Fri May 18, 2012 7:32 pm

gronank wrote:Wall-E
There is something about ineptness in combination with resolve and a fire extinguisher that is incredibly cute.

Fixed :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby gronank on Sat May 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Dances with wolves.
I think the movie would have benefited by more sympathetic white frontiersmen toward the end. That way, the main character could have been more conflicted and torn about what life he wanted to lead. The way it unfolded, the choices made where kind of obvious. That particular tension was better made in The New World although this movie had better tempo despite being 4 hours long.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 am

The Motorcycle Diaries..."(Spanish: Diarios de motocicleta) is a 2004 biopic about the journey and written memoir of the 23-year-old Ernesto Guevara, who would several years later become internationally known as the iconic Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara. The film recounts the 1952 expedition, initially by motorcycle, across South America by Guevara and his friend Alberto Granado."
I enjoyed the movie. Has you wondering how much has really changed in 60yrs. Interesting in the credits... Executive Producer - Robert Redford.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Sun May 20, 2012 11:12 am

:facewall:
My daughter is watching 'Rio' for about the fifth time since we bought it for her!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors