Idols

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Idols

Postby Aclor79 on Mon May 14, 2012 10:07 pm

How do we feel about idol worship? A friend of mine who has skill with knitting made me a little plush FSM, and I want to know if it's okay to pray towards it. :fsm_float:
Praise be to The Sauced And Noodly One, and may your cheese never be from a green cardboard can. R'amen.
Aclor79
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: Idols

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue May 15, 2012 11:25 am

As Pastafarianism has loose moral standard, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Go with what you like.

CF

P.S. You should get your friend to publish her knitting pattern. I might try and persuade my kitting mad sister to make me one!
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Wed May 16, 2012 6:01 am

At the moment I only have this plush Captain Pugwash to worship so I think you've made a great step forward.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Lincoln.Alhazred on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:45 pm

I think that probably could be better to worship something more "realistic" like this:
Image :lol: :lol: :lol:
Test everything, believe nothing. :fsm_float:
http://www.vampiretemple.com/
Lincoln.Alhazred
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:22 am

Most orthodox religious people pray "towards" something, whether it be an altar, a particular city, the four directions, some prayer beads, up or down to the sky or earth, etc. It's only idolotry if you pray "to" it as if it really was your god itself.

Since the true Noodly Appendages transcend all time-space, having a "focus item" merely allows you to concentrate your attention in the physical world to help you reach out from within yourself. This is like focusing your personal light with a microscope or telescope so you may better see what is normally beyond your reach.

PS (regarding emergencies):
If you find yourself wanting to pray because you're on a ship caught in a massive storm and you have to keep working the rigging so you don't get shipwrecked and die, then taking the time to go pray to/toward some object would be worse than idolotry -- it would be damned suicidal foolishness. Just keep doing what needs to be done and pray (silently so you can still hear orders from the captain) to Horragalles for inspiration and/or mercy. At that point, that's the only god that really matters, so any others will forgive you for it:) -- from personal experience
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Return to All Things FSM