What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Wolfenstein on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

Auntie Blackbeard wrote:*sigh*
Conan The Sweaty Muscle Bound Pyrate At Times .

OHHHHHH!

HOW AUNTIE LOVES HER NEFYOO CONAN !
*giggle*

I don't nose wot be deery , the Conan adaptations by Thomas , Smith , and Bescema pretty much got it bang on (imho) .
Why don't they simply give it to Sam Raimi or maybe Mid Night Samamalama ... Uh...forgot his name .... and arsk them to capture the same atmosphere as the comics ?
Just imagine Red Nails in the proper hands .

What?
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby black bart on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 am

Roland Deschain wrote:
black bart wrote:Aaargh... for one minute there I thought ye said Cronan...ye knows we be forbidden ta menshun that name alowd!!!!

What name? Cronan? :confused:

Ye needs ta delve back in thee depths of Pirate lore (in thee Pirate threads). We wrote loads of rubbish about Captain Cronan. The trouble was he his a real bloke who's great granddaddy sunk with the Titanic and he eventually decided to write a book about it. When anyone searched for the name Cronan the search results would bring them here to the Pirate board and Mr Cronan got a bit fed up about it! :evilgrin:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 am

Today I watched "War, Inc" (2008), a sort of sequal or re-set of "Grosse Point Blank" (an awesome A+ character movie I rate up there with "January Man") starring John Cusack and many of the same actors, including his sister Joan as a mercurial co-agent. There are also some shades of "Say Anything" lurking about. John's protrayal of a weary warrior looking for connections back to real life has genuine depth and subtlety. Ben Kingsley is awesome as always, Marisa Tormei makes a tricky character believable, and the host of cardboard baddies and technotricks are outrageous and hilarious.

The direction/production is not as engaging and personal as GPB, but in the heavy effects and megadeath environment of this film it makes a good compromise. They were clearly going for action pace in some situations where I would like to have lingered a bit more on personal conflicts/resolutions; but this a production choice that has to be made and often leaves the action/adventure audience wishing for more 3-hours films that have/take the time to do both. Blame the studios and distributors.

It was pretty good, quite funny in places and heavy with irony, but it didn't add much except current affairs material/situations to the original. Still, the protagonist's ability to make important decisions in a heartbeat is practically a superpower unto itself. John Cusack did a couple short CQC scenes with his kickboxing and some good choreography for multiple opponents, but the themes were mostly satirical, which is cool and always needed in the movie marketplace.

Anyone who appreciated the original would probably enjoy seeing the reset, or if you like movies like "Dr. Strangelove" or "The Running Man" and so on. I was happy to get referenced to it, fun to watch, not a waste of time. If you haven't seen "Grosse Point Blank" then I definitely recommend that first. It has a ton of deep stuff going on amidst a lot of campy fun. "War, Inc" has a lot of great gags and character interactions that are based on the original.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:49 pm

^^ Thanks Bart. I'll make sure not to mention Captain Cronan ever again. Seeing as it's the first thing Google suggests, I can understand, although I did find a mention of him on a website called "flyingspaghettimonster.com", which appears to be a mirror of this site, but with one huge difference for today. Venganza.org has only one line of birthdays for this day, but flying...com has several (LINK). It's weird.

Arkaeon, thank you so much for the recommendation. I love Grosse Point Blank, and have seen it many times, but I had not heard of War, Inc, so i'll be looking it up. It sounds like my kind of film.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I just saw The Cabin in the Woods. Weird film. Unicorns. Sigourney Weaver is still hot though.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 am

Watched Clerks again last night. It doesn't get any less funny, any less accurate as a document of the times. A lot of films of their era look total rubbish years later, but Clerks still stands up.

daftbeaker wrote: Sigourney Weaver is still hot though.
Stop looking at my woman, gimpy!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:45 am

Clerks has definitely stood the test of time for me, too. The dialogue in that film is nothing short of greatness.

Roy Hunter wrote:
daftbeaker wrote: Sigourney Weaver is still hot though.
Stop looking at my woman, gimpy!

We is all gonna have some real trouble here now, boys! :furious:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm

I call dibs on Ghostbusters Sigourney, you two can fight over Alien Sigourney :moon:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

Problem is, no one is going to want to end up with Avatar Sigourney. :P

Saw Pirates! Band of Misfits! Made by Aardman, same people behind Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run. Quite a fun movie, if not a bit geared towards children. Captures the piratical essence we all strive for here, I think.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Wolfenstein on Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I was bored beyond belief watching that dreg. Why do they keep remaking every movie ever made?

The only thing that was good in that movie was John Lithgow's performance. He got to be one of the world's most underrated actors.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Threads, a documentary type film made by the BBC in the 80s. It's about what would happen in the event of a nuclear war, focusing on people from Sheffield, and one girl in particular. It was quite visceral, despite the dated effects, and really gave over the sense of desperation that would be felt in the aftermath. At almost 2 hours long, it's about the right length, not skimping on the more desolate aspects of nuclear war.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed May 09, 2012 2:20 am

Threads !
FSM in marinara !
Saw that when it first aired , left a bad taste , far to grim and depressing for me to think about viewing it again .

As for Sigourney , Ye lads left her Galaxy Quest personage for me !
Fank Ye Ye welkum .
Argh
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 am

I think that was the whole point of the film, the grimness. The reality is terrible, and people needed to realise this. The fact that you only watched it once is a good indication of how effective it was in portraying its message. Nucular was is not a funny thing.

Roy can have Alien 3 Sigourney, i'll have Alien Sigourney.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu May 10, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm currently 40 minutes into Pearl Jam Twenty, and it's truly awesome so far. The memories it's bringing back are something else, and the music is beyond good. All I really have to complain about so far is summed up by this what I just made.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Fri May 11, 2012 9:01 pm

12 agry men

I was pleasantly suprised. It kept being interesting all the way through.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors