What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart on Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 am

I'll have to watch that scene again just to make sure no laws have been broken.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 pm

The Book of Leviticus got better. I stopped reading for quite a while because it was giving me a headache, but I'm reading the bits about sacrifices now. It started lightening up on the first chapter I read today, and after that it was easy to read, compared to earlier chapters.

It's really funny how the priests get to EAT the sacrifices to God. THAT doesn't sound like suspiciously self-serving false rulemaking, now does it...? :moon:

Nevermind the luxurious clothing. Golden crowns, breastplates, fine linen, jewels and gems...

God describes to Moses which parts of the animals and bread to burn, where to burn them, what to do with the blood, and what parts Aaron and his sons may eat. In fact, it is their HOLY DUTY to feast upon the free meat and bread. But burn the wrong incense and God kills you with fire. So it has its good and bad parts. But the incense is really luxurious and pleasant, of course, made with frankincense and myrrh. Also luxurious are the spiced annointing oils used to seaso-- I mean, sanctify the sacrifices. :whistle:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

^ This. That sounds precisely like Leviticus to me. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed May 09, 2012 2:05 am

The Universe In A Nutshell by Steve Hawking .
Just as good as his brief history of time.
Argh
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Thu May 10, 2012 7:34 am

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:The Universe In A Nutshell by Steve Hawking .
Just as good as his brief history of time.
Argh

I've read that one...can't remember any of it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri May 25, 2012 8:03 am

Just started reading 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick Dewitt. The brothers are contract killers in the era of the Wild West Gold Rush. Quite supernatural so far and much suffering from both horses and men.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

^Finished reading 'The Sisters Brothers' which was excellent and would make a great Coen Brothers type film.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

Started reading "The American West" by Dee Brown.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 am

black bart wrote:Started reading "The American West" by Dee Brown.

I have learned where the word 'Maverick' comes from.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Started reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. It's his first culture novel, and if the first 100 or so pages are anything to go by, i'm in for a real treat with the rest of the book, not to mention the rest of the series. This has definitely made it into my favourite books list.

Awaiting a read are Snuff by Terry Pratchett, Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (a Dark Tower novel), and Banks' second culture novel, Player of Games. I am looking forward to them all greatly.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 am

Roland Deschain wrote:Started reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. It's his first culture novel, and if the first 100 or so pages are anything to go by, i'm in for a real treat with the rest of the book, not to mention the rest of the series. This has definitely made it into my favourite books list.

Awaiting a read are Snuff by Terry Pratchett, Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (a Dark Tower novel), and Banks' second culture novel, Player of Games. I am looking forward to them all greatly.

I've read "Look to Windward" which was excellent and included one of the most gruesome killings I've ever encountered in a book.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:01 pm

I just finished reading The Quantum Universe today. It's an interesting book but feels a bit disjointed and confusing at times.

The ideas and interpretations of quantum theory are explained quite simply and clearly (I never understood the extent of Einstein's 'spooky action at a distance' as clearly before) but there is a lot of nonsense in there too. Maybe it doesn't work for me because I've done stuff on quantum theory before but the constant reference to clocks only served to confuse me, I think a basic introduction to wavefunctions would be less confusing than trying to put the everyday experience of clocks onto quantum events. Then it swerves the other way in the epilogue and starts using a lot of algebra in a book that has been insistent on using simple ideas the whole way through.

It's a bit of a shame given how intuitive Cox and Forshaw's explanation of relativity was. Still, it's a good book but I'd suggest reading stuff by John Gribbin first and then using this one to bring some of the more outlandish ideas into consideration.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 am

I'd also recommend reading Alice in Quantumland. It explains quantum theory quite simply and eloquently, using, for want of a better term, real-world examples. The strangeness of the quantum world can be both exciting and confusing. It's quite fascinating.

Bart, i've not read that one yet, but I look forward to getting there. I'll be working my way through them in chronological order, so seeing as Look to Windward is book 6, it'll take me a while to get there.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 am

There's is also a book by Richard Feynman: QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter...anyone read it?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:20 pm

^ No. I got through Six Easy Pieces: OK; Six Not-so-easy Pieces not so OK. Then I gave my brane a break. :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors