Religion Study

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Religion Study

Postby Allie on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am

Hi,

My name is Allie and I'm currently doing a study on "Modern Religion", and I have an interest in the CFSM. If a few of you could take the time to answer a few questions for this study, it'd be greatly appreciated.

1. Why did you choose the CFSM?

2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason?

3. Are you a part of any other religions as well?

4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM?

Thank you to whoever responds!

R'amen, everyone!
Allie
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Religion Study

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Allie wrote:1. Why did you choose the CFSM?

There was beer. Also, I wanted to argue with creationists and the whole 'not taking things too seriously' thing but mainly the beer.
Allie wrote:2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason?

I believe in the FSM as much as I believe in any other god. So no, not at all. Having said that, our non-existent supernatural entity is much better than all the other non-existent supernatural entities so we win, right?
Allie wrote:3. Are you a part of any other religions as well?

No.
Allie wrote:4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM?

We have beer and pasta. Also smart-arse comments and general cheekiness.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby DavidH on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 am

1. Why did you choose the CFSM? I learned of it from The God Delusion. I found it was so outrageous and such fun that I had to join.

2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason? The FSM is as real as any other deity. When I joined I had the mickey-taking aspect in mind; nowadays I just enjoy the community.

3. Are you a part of any other religions as well? I invented the cult of the Screeves of Our Lady St Postula, also the Lactoportarian doctrine which holds that Mary's pregnancy was down to the milkman. I have a high opinion of the followers of Tarvu and of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (bless Her Holy Hooves).

4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM? Our theology is more advanced: we offer the only credible explanation to the Theodicy question; in other words, the reason why the world is so badly designed is that our Noodly Master was drunk when he created it.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 am

Allie wrote:1. Why did you choose the CFSM?
My son came home from school having had a conversation with a teacher who was into Intelligent Design. I had to look it up on t'Interwebs, since it seemed as backwards a step in science as believing in phlogiston and luminiferous ether. That led me to the FSM, Dawkins, all kind of interesting stuff. The teacher has now 'moved on', I am glad to say. My son is now reading chemistry at university and does not believe in gods, tooth fairies or Santa Claus (although he still expects presents. Cognitive dissonance much?).
Allie wrote:2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason?
I believe that gods are an emergent property of human brains, particularly as part of a social scene that is becoming a culture - when people put down roots, they organise their beliefs along with their plumbing and their trade routes. That's why the world is apparently full of gods and religions, but no-one has ever actually provided credible evidence of one. I use the FSM as the placeholder for that emergent property of my brain, but I don't really believe in any supernatural entity, made of pasta or otherwise.
Allie wrote:3. Are you a part of any other religions as well?
I pity the fool that isn't part of Teeism. Star Trek isn't a religion, but it's probably the thing I feel the most reverend over. Apart from The Beatles, maybe?
Allie wrote:4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM?
You can try Pastafarianism for 30 days with no obligation, if you don't like it you can go back to your old religion, no hard feelings, no excommunication, no eternal hellfire and damnation. Also, we have beer and strippers. And pirates. Every Friday is a holiday (in the true sense of the word). You can become friends with a real, genuine prophet on Facebook, and look at pictures of him lazing about in a hammock on a beach.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Allie. I shall attempt to answer your questions as best as possible:-

1. Why did you choose the CotFSM? - It was a journey from Dawkins' The God Delusion combined with a recommendation from a friend, to looking up the FSM on Wikipedia. I found Venganza.org after this, and eventually decided to join in the discussion on the main pages. Clicking what I thought was the correct link, I was redirected here, which appeared to be far more civilised, and the rest is history. I suppose it was the humour that drew me in, as well as the message, but what keeps me coming back here is the ability to torture certain members (ok, i'm just kidding about the last part :haha: ).

2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason? - I do not believe in any deity ever devised by the minds of men or women, and that includes the FSM. The idea of revering the pirates of old, and of also revering midgets, beer, and strippers, is brilliant. No other current religion I know of does this. It cuts away the boundaries of discrimination and sexism, as there is a lot of discrimination against little people and strippers. The strippers can also be whatever sex, or anywhere inbetween, you so wish. Add to this the fact that the beer volcano can supply you with whatever drink you want, alcoholic or not, and you will find that all tastes are catered to.

3. Are you a part of any other religions as well? - Definitely not.

4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM? - Apart from the above, you get to dress as a pirate and claim it as a religious requirement, which is excellent whichever way you look at it, you can have whatever religious holidays you wish, as there is nothing set in stone, pasta is a holy meal, and there is ample room for beer and strippers. Other religions suppress their followers with dogma and the requirement of religious ferver, also greatly suppressing sexuality; the FSM does not do this, ever.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Allie on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied so far! I really appreciate it!

I have until tuesday morning to complete the project, and if anyone else would care to answer the questions, I'd be grateful!

You guys are all so wonderful.
Allie
Conchigliette Convert

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 pm

It was a happy accident to find the front page, and then the forum link. I lurked for awhile and then joined; I like to think that the FSM chose me.

2. Do you believe in an actual FSM? Or are you a part of this religion for another reason?
Of course not! I was raised religious, yet with a healthy amount of science and reason. I don't like seeing blind, bigoted superstition being used to undermine education or destroy culture. Also, I really enjoy discussions with other pastafarians and pirates who oppose religion masquerading as science.

I am a Recovering Roman and a non-practicing Episcopagan.

One of the FSM's subtle lessons is that those who most vociferously and hysterically denounce other religions as self-evidently false are probably not taking a very critical look at their own system of beliefs. <---[humor]
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 am

Allie wrote:Hi,

My name is Allie and I'm currently doing a study on "Modern Religion", and I have an interest in the CFSM. If a few of you could take the time to answer a few questions for this study, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I wuz juss surfin' , deery .

No , juss heer fer a larrf , me darrrlin' .

All an' none .

No

Thank you to whoever responds!

R'amen, everyone!

Yer welkum deery .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 am

Funnily enough just like all the other religions in my life, well only one really, I didn't choose it at all. I was sent to Sunday School as a child and not given any other choice but Christianity. The FSM was introduced to me by some of my weird friends who like to pretend to be Pirates and now I'm stuck with it.

I really love noodles...whether they are touching me or not.

No thank goodness.

We don't really have a hell to worry about...there was a discussion about Pastafarian hell but I can't remember the conclusions. You get Fridays off. We are not trying to upset Rastafarians in any way. Our good book is way shorter than the Bible or the Quran and there are some good laughs in it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 am

black bart wrote:4. Is there anything you'd like the general masses to know about the FSM?
We don't really have a hell to worry about...there was a discussion about Pastafarian hell but I can't remember the conclusions. You get Fridays off. We are not trying to upset Rastafarians in any way (except Elijah but he seems to have disappeared). Our good book is way shorter than the Bible or the Quran and there are some good laughs in it.

Fixed :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 am

Oh yes...I forgot about him. :paranoid:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Return to All Things FSM