Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Them Crooked Vultures.

Very much Queens of the Stone Age, I was thinking, and is that Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme?. Then I looked them up...Thanks for introducing me to them. My new favourite thing. :fsm_rock:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Blink 182. I can only listen to it for about 20 minutes before the decent songs run out and it turns back to more f***ing adolescent whining.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 am

My iPod decided to play me Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart. It must be 15 years since I listened to it. As well as having a meatsack with an octofish, I am now fast and bulbous, me and my girl named Bimbo, Limbo, Spam...

I didn't half listen to some shite when I was smoking weed...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am

Roy Hunter wrote:My iPod decided to play me Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart. It must be 15 years since I listened to it. As well as having a meatsack with an octofish, I am now fast and bulbous, me and my girl named Bimbo, Limbo, Spam...

I didn't half listen to some shite when I was smoking weed...

You still are smoking weed and all this is in your highly enhanced imagination...soon you will get the munchies and start singing that song about a little goblin.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm

See the little goblin,
See his little feet.
See his little nosey-wose,
Isn't the goblin sweet?
[all shout] YES!

Was that the one you were thinking of Bart? :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Nothing wrong with Captain Beefheart. His lyrics were a little funky, yeah, but it's great to listen to. Dadaist music FTW! :haha:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Lostprophets - Better Off Dead and Bring Em Down. New album looks promising for exercise music :fsm_rock:

daftbeaker

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Lostprophets - Better Off Dead and Bring Em Down. New album looks promising for exercise music :fsm_rock:

Kerrang Radio plays these two songs a lot, so i've heard them before. Not bad, and definitely listenable.

I think Roy may appreciate this one, particularly, but i've been on an Apocalyptica binge today, going through my three albums twice each, plus a little session on YouTube, including a wonderful rendition of Hall of the Mountain King (yes, it's the Alton Towers advert theme tune). They really are this amazing live. Check out the two top comments, including the post that the top one was responding to. :haha:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:20 am

Been listening most to Saami folk music, like this gem about a Swan at Dawnlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WW3D5a ... re=related

This plays the same song, but with tundra scenery and cool time-lapse shots of arctic days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVc0aX1lc8

Hearing the traditional noaidi-drum sound tolling serenely in the background really gets me, especially here at the beginning of spring with a long seek-walk coming up this morning.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 am

daftbeaker wrote:See the little goblin,
See his little feet.
See his little nosey-wose,
Isn't the goblin sweet?
[all shout] YES!

Was that the one you were thinking of Bart? :haha:

Yep..that's the one.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:27 am

Arkaeon wrote:Been listening most to Saami folk music, like this gem about a Swan at Dawnlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WW3D5a ... re=related

This plays the same song, but with tundra scenery and cool time-lapse shots of arctic days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVc0aX1lc8

Hearing the traditional noaidi-drum sound tolling serenely in the background really gets me, especially here at the beginning of spring with a long seek-walk coming up this morning.

That's very nice. It's really evocative of people sitting around watching the sunset/sunrise, or maybe around a campfire, singing songs to nature.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I've been listening to some Tyr today. Again. Specifically the Ragnarok and The Lay of Thrym albums, moving onto Land. The song Torsteins Kvæði is from Ragnarok, and one of the best songs on there. Faroese Viking Metal FTW! :fsm_rock:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 am

I managed to fit in some A Perfect Circle today, and thought i'd share two of their videos with you:-

The Outsider - Some very notty ladies do some very notty things :lech:
Thinking of You - The same very notty ladies do some more very notty things, but convince other notty ladies to do those notty things, too :love:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 am

That "Thinking of You" video was hilarious, some combination of "Soylient Green" and "Welcome to the Monkey House" I think.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to "Cusum Perficio" by Enya, just about as far from that as possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_DuEU6Mvg

Just shows the spectrum of the possible.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:07 am

Arkaeon wrote:"Cursum Perficio"
The Hunter family motto. I have it tattooed on my arm.

I listened to Time by ELO this morning, as I am looking for unlikely sources to 'mine' for writing songs for the folk band. Then I listened to Squeeze's Greatest Hits, which always reminds me of the pool hall where I mis-spent my youth when I should have been at school. Tempted is such a great song, takes me right back there. Next up some XTC, maybe Mummer or Skylarking.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors