octopus = holy animal?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: octopus = holy animal?

Postby Trev on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 am

Was this celebrated? I heard about this on August 9th!!
Trev
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Daishin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:52 am

I definitely think that we should have an 8 day holiday beginning on both August 8 and October 8th! That would be amazing! Someone should definitely consult Bobby on this one.
Daishin
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 am

The thought of an eight day holiday in October is cool, and I have no problem with that. Some special dishes will need to be thought of, though.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Daishin on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Daishin
Conchigliette Convert

Postby muunleit on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Daishin wrote:How about these beauties?

http://letsplaywithfood.files.wordpress ... -dogs1.jpg

I've seen this picture before and someone who had tried it commented it with "the spaghetti-part inside the sausage is inedible, because it's not cooked".
muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Re: Octopus = Cthulhu?

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 pm

OMCthulhu! The gates of R'lyeh have opened, and the Old Ones walk among us! Oh great Cthulhu, we do worshi...Oh, wait a minute. That's a normal octopus, isn't it? I knew that... :blush: :haha:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Ahh, kind octopus giving the people a crab! :haha:

Also, to the woman who said "This is like the coolest thing I've ever seen!":

what was the coolest thing you've ever seen; and

in what way was this like it?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 pm

^ Tig, you are a woman after my own heart. :lol: :haha:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 am

^^ :lol:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Ravi Oli on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Help save the Pacific Tree Octopus and other endangered species such as the Australian Dropbear....
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Ravi Oli wrote:Help save the Pacific Tree Octopus...

If one of the magazine covers is anything to go by, i'm sure The Old Ones will look after them. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. :haha:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 am

Cthulu for president! (Why settle for the lesser evil?)

Since you people insisted on resurrecting this thread, I'll throw in a little neo-shamanist commentary based on the actions of the octopus in pieces o nine's link:

When people are lonely or hungry for love (or just hungry), their cats will bring them mice, snakes, etc as if trying to console and support them. I knew one witchy girl whose 22-pound (10kg) black burmese cat (named "Norton" as in "Emperor Norton," the Swarzenegger of local felines) literally brought home rabbits for them both to eat when she was particularly poor. My own former cat used to bring me all manner of life-forms to study, proudly displaying them as if saying, "Look what interesting thing I found!" (He didn't eat them and was disappointed if they died in the process, and he would take them back out after I congratulated him on his discovery.)

Here we have an octupus showing off the bounty of the sea to the poor tourists who were gaping at his glorious home. He treats them like beggars at the door of a medieval landlord. He is saying to them, "Life is rich and there is plenty to share, if only there weren't so many of you to divide the spoils among!" He is giving them a handout, or a bribe to be left in peace from their intrusion. Red is the color of passion and irritation among octopodes. He wants them to go back and tell others the truth of balance instead of bothering him with their beggary.

Obviously, this is an anthropomorphism, and an excuse to make homily, but it fits the situation. Octopodes have a neural/optical development equal or superior to humans in size and complexity, both in terms of total body percentage and cellular development. What secrets of the interconnectedness of life do they understand inherently that we have taught ourselves and our children to ignore? What they don't have is kings, wars, priests, soldiers, or corporations, so they are in some ways at our mercy -- much like many peaceful indigenous people and the general biotome in so many ways. If you can ask yourself one question as a result, maybe it is this: "Which one is truly, or morally, superior?" Octopodes have survived since the cambrian era, several hundred million years, in balance with their environment. How long can we last, out of balance with ours?
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:10 pm

You make a good point there. It reminds me of Ellen Ripley in Aliens:-

"You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f****** each other over for a goddamn percentage."

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Previous

Return to All Things FSM