Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Our Animals

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Glad to see Dom thee Danger Catte is on the mend. Cats are notorious for being difficult with tablet taking (in my experience), with my current cat one of the worst (I have scratches to prove that).

I'm taking my cat for her yearly booster injection today for all those nasty diseases what cats can get. She'll positively love me after this, I bet. :evilgrin:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Glad to see Dom thee Danger Catte is on the mend. Cats are notorious for being difficult with tablet taking (in my experience), with my current cat one of the worst (I have scratches to prove that).

Ditto for Dom, Pieces. Roland, if you happen to find yourself in central Maine some time, look me up and I'll be glad to give you a few pointers about pilling cats. I'm sure there's a number for how many times I've done it, but I'm not sure there has been any reason to give that number a name yet. :fsm_meow:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:pilling cats

I read that as piling cats at first.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 am

^ :lol: That's so true, even with one.

Thanks, ET. If i'm ever in the US, i'll attempt to look everyone up, but i'd make a pilgrimage to Maine to see the places Stephen King writes about (the real ones, at least), which would work out nicely for a visit. I'll be wearing a red carnation. :haha:

My cat barely flinched when putting her into the carry cage thingy, but she did claw the blanket off that i'd put over it. Once replacing the blanket, she was as good as gold all the way to the vet's, at the vet's (including during her injection), and on the way home. I must admit that I haven't seen her since then, but i'm sure she'll forgive me when she wants a bit of loving. :haha: I have drops for worming now, which is far easier.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 am

I can see how a visit to Salem's Lot could be quite interesting.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm

Day Two of amoxicillin/painkiller mix via dropper.

So, yeah. Day One was definitely easier. This morning saw possessed-by-demons head flailing, eye rolling, ear pointing, academy award gagging, hind leg tractioning, and gargle-snarling. I tried intoning, "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU" in a soothing voice, but it worked about as well as it usually does in movies. I didn't want Dom to re-open the wound every 12 hours, so tonight tried mixing the recommended dosage into a tablespoon of special treat soft food, which he snorted right up. Yeah, this is the new first option!

He needs to be back in good form for the Annual Peep Carnage!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/pieces_o_nine/Peep_Carnage.jpg
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:01 am

I've been a little distracted lately; so I didn't post here when it happened. Two weeks ago, Sanka got a respiratory infection. We weren't sure how ill she was at first (she was her usual grumpy self) but as soon as we realised on the Wednesday morning that it wasn't her usual "I've-escaped-outside-briefly-and-eaten-something-I-shouldn't-and-will-be-well-tomorrow" bug, because she was having difficulty breathing, I booked an appointment at the vet that afternoon.

My friend came over (she was going to give us a lift to the vet); half an hour after she arrived, Sanka collapsed and couldn't get up so we phoned the vet who said to rush her straight in. There followed x-rays, oxygen, several injections (which Sanka ignored, so we knew it was dire; normally, she would have out-Dommed Dom thee Danger Catte and the vet, plus everyone else in the vicinity, would have looked like we had plunged our hands and faces in mincers).

Four hours on oxygen later, it was obvious that there was no improvement in her condition and all we were doing was prolonging her dying, so we let her have the final injection.

RIP Sanka. 1996-2012. We shall miss you sitting on everything, to display your total dominance of the household.

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 am

Condolences Tig...what a wonderful Moggy.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks, Bart. My friend thought Sanka was the perfect cat for us when she found out that our family motto is "Touch Not the Cat Bot Aglove". Sanka was beautiful and deadly. Another friend succeeded in catching her once on one of her escape attempts; he had lacerations up both hands and arms and across his face! :shocked:

She was not a cuddly feline; but she would deign to sit on you if she thought you had something to do that couldn't be done with a cat on your lap (or chest!); like sleep, for instance…

Both Lachlan and Katie are gradually realising now that they can wander the house unmolested. Sanka used to sit in doorways or the middle of corridors, wherever either wanted to go, and threaten to assault them if they got too close. Katie always made sure that there was a human between her and Sanka! She and Lachlan get on well, and Lachlan is perfectly happy to share a lap with Katie's head.

Sanka could be an absolute monster, but I loved her and I miss her! :cry:

Edit: I forgot that I haven't put up a picture of Lachlan:

He's eighteen. Semi-crippled from an encounter with a car in his youth, going blind from cataracts, but a very contented and affectionate moggy. He's currently curled up on the bed next to me, snoring.

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:57 am

Sorry to hear about Sanka, Tig. Good job you've got your other companions to keep you company (and some hoomins too, I suppose).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:01 pm

I shall add my condolences, too. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Sanka. She looked like a typical cat (they always love lying on everything you need), and sounded like a real scrapper, too. No matter how much of a git they are, we always love them.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 pm

So sorry about poor Sanka, Tig. She had it made, living with you. She's probably trying to decide whether to be friends with Pez about now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ChowMein on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Condolences to all that have recently lost a cherished member of their households .
My best bud ( me avatar ) is getting on I'm years , for the past 3 years we've been fighting this skin condition caused by some he is allergic to .
He breaks out with lesions , it must bother him immensely , for he licks the areas until the fur comes off and then continues until the affected areas become a bloody mess .

The first outbreak was treated with steroids and antibiotics . He was healed within a month . Then it started up again a few months later with a vengeance , again steroids and antibiotics , it took months to heal that time .
Months later it came back again . So yet another battle getting him into the carrier .
The vet took another skin sample and sent it off to get the CSI treatment. She then suggested a stronger steriod , she said to me , " a stronger steriod might do the trick , however the likelihood of him developing diabetes is very high " .

WTF ! Oh bloody hell , what kinda Sophie's choice are you giving me ?
So my answer was no , I put a collar on him and did he ever look miserable !
He keep smacking into things , for the collar filthy from the litter box or muddy when he used the garden to dump in . Knocked his food all over the place , water all over the floor . The vet put him on a strict diet in the hopes we could isolate a food allergen , no luck , he was deprived of his bacon , tuna , and fat that I trimed from steaks and chicken for almost a year . The food vet gave us is only rice and peas @ 20 bucks a kilo . 5 times the cost of his old premium cat food .

So far I have calculated that I have paid ole Fritzie boyo 350 dollares for every mouse he was hired on to take of .

He's a great cat , a mackeral tabby as opposed to Tug's classic tabby , I will mourn his loss more than any other pet I ever had the pleasure to know . He's a chatty fellow who loves his human pals , always says hello to whoever walks into the house and headbutts old fiends that he hasn't seen in months and or years when they revisit us .

He can't stand dogs that come in all hyper and will attack them , its quite a sight , I didn't realize he was that frigging fast ! He went after a Bosco ( super friendly black lab ) when he ventured to close to the house . Within a split second he was in the air after poor ole Bosco , all four sets of razor sharpness clawing the air about twenty odd times before he landed back on the ground only to chase the dog around the two young ladies walking him .
The both girls were freaking out and were getting completely tangled by the lead .
Bosco was having fun and thought it was all in good fun .

I hollared at Fritz to stop but he keep on attacking , I had to run at him and chase him off .
Much profuse , " I'm sorry he's never attacked dogs outside the house before , what a bloody bully he is " .

The girls and Bosco got themselves untangled and went on their way , a few seconds later Fritz comes back and he looks very smug and proud of himself .

Anyway ole cat is still on roids and likely to remain on them . I moved out of the house and leased an apartment in the other house I used to own . I'm going to sell the old one . We have been here a month and the skin condition has improved immensely.
I don't know if it is because of the move to a cleaner environment, the steroids , or the antiseptic soap my neighbor gave me to use on him .

BTW , after 3 years I'm am now expert at shoving a pill down a cats throat . No more being cut to ribbons .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby ChowMein on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Dammit ! Sorry for DP , but the typos are bloody killing me , and I didn't even make them !
If I try to go back and edit this post it will take at least 2 hours for me to correct on this blasted HTC mobile ( still decent as a phone though ) .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 am

Sorry to hear about Sanka's passing, Tig, and I hope you can keep Fritz as healthy and happy as possible, ChowMein. My late cat, KitKat, used to chase dogs too. German shepherds, pit bulls, and Dobermanns, of all breeds.

The rabbit-sitting continues, and Gus seems to be really enjoying his vacation. He runs around the living room, chasing my cat with amorous intent, sniffing everything, eating bananas. Bananas are his favorite food. My sister says he's boring, but I think he's funny.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion