Beer

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Beer

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm

I went out Wednesday night to the pub (in Kew Bridge again, but with no cash loss this time :haha: ), and tried something new after a few pints of Honeydew:-

It's Rekorderlig Strawberry and Lime Cider. You will also be please to hear that I drank it from the bottle, and did not go in for this silly "ice and a pint glass" craze. In the UK it can be found HERE, and at any major supermarket from the looks of it. They also do some other funky flavours. Click the picture above to go to the official website (in English).

I also went out into central Londinium a couple of weeks ago with a couple of friends to see my Turkish friend, and we happened upon a nice little pub in the Chinatown/Soho area serving exclusively Samuel Smith brewery products. I sampled the Pure Brewed Lager and the Old Brewery Pale Ale. Very nice, with a lovely flavour to them, with both being very distinct from one another

black bart wrote:I think I've mentioned this before but I did enjoy a very nice drop of ale in Greenwich Village once...it was Fullers London Pride!

You found the delectable London Pride, the pinnacle of Chiswick brewing, in New York? Now I really have heard everything! New York peeps (that means you, Bacon and PK), get there now and taste it. This is a good example of a light English Bitter. :drinking:

daftbeaker wrote:The UK people (apart from the awesome Roland that's tried it before) might be shocked to find Murkins can make lager with flavour :shocked:

You remembered! :love: :haha: It is a nice beer, but I only had the one pint. I tend to drift between different beers from pint to pint if the pub has a selection i've never seen before, but when I start to really feel it, I couldn't give a monkey's what i'm drinking. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 am

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm

^ "Blueberry Atomic Wedgie" would be a good name for a band.
I suppose they could get their start playing in small clubs that only serve classic Amurkin Beer. :drinking:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 pm

That's one of the worst articles i've ever read on beer. If you don't like decent beer, that's fair enough, as it's not to everyone's taste, but if what the author espouses was truly the only choice, I think i'd probably stick with wine. It's great to see that every single comment below it is castigating him. I feel far better the morning after drinking decent beer than I do after drinking the really commercial stuff. The new wave of decent beer from the States has my seal of approval. Long live quality! :fsm_rock:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:

That's one of the worst articles i've ever read on beer. If you don't like decent beer, that's fair enough, as it's not to everyone's taste, but if what the author espouses was truly the only choice, I think i'd probably stick with wine. It's great to see that every single comment below it is castigating him. I feel far better the morning after drinking decent beer than I do after drinking the really commercial stuff. The new wave of decent beer from the States has my seal of approval. Long live quality! :fsm_rock:

Personally, the worst hangover I ever had was after drinking red wine. Sweet zombie Jesus I could barely see. It took a bottle of ether and a fume hood before I could do anything.

Having said that, I never drank enough of the Septic piss to get a hangover. It's made from rice and like making love in a canoe. Plus in Bristol you can find cider for the same price at three times the strength and it tastes better :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

So due Roland's insistence, I have acquired and tried Fuller's London Pride.

Allow me to wax poetic: American craft ales tend to reflect a certain sort of American mentality. They're bold, brash, heavily on the citrusy, piny hops and ABV. They're in your face and demand your attention. Fuller's, reflects a much more English sensibility. It's more subtle in flavor and alcohol burn. The hops are present, but they're more subdued than American hops. If American hops are like a guy yelling at you because he's mad at you, the hops in Fuller's are like a subtle insult, one you don't even realize was an insult until the guy left the room. It drinks more like a good lager than its higher ABV brethren.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:52 pm

My head is bowed in shame.

I tried a beer with fruit in it.

I know, I know. Even my own brain was trying to intervene, pointing out that "fruit" and "beer" are ... not ... you know ... synonymous. But I don't want to get all old and geezerfied and set in my ways, so I bought some.

BLEAH <-----[multisyllabic "bleah"]

I'm now thinking, let's try something else trendy and exotic with what's left: the beer hair rinse...
pieces o'nine

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you mean beer with a fruit flavor added during the brewing? Or do you mean like sticking a wedge of lime in a corona, or a wedge of orange in a hefewiezen?

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 am

She stuck her Carmen Miranda headdress in a glass and poured a Michelob over it. It didn't taste too good, but it had a fantastic head on it.

Sorry.

I'll shut up now.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am

We've got some beers that sound like diseases over here...

Blandford Fly:

Not nice.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:She stuck her Carmen Miranda headdress in a glass and poured a Michelob over it. It didn't taste too good, but it had a fantastic head on it.

Sorry.

Headdress ruination, no. AB-so-lute-ly not.
"Michelob" wif nachural fruit flavors added at some point in the brewing process, yes.

BLEAH
pieces o'nine

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Oh, well, yeah, I doubt Michelob is shelling out the extra money for real fruit, no doubt "natural and artificial fruit flavors." :barf:

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:40 pm

PKMKII wrote:So due Roland's insistence, I have acquired and tried Fuller's London Pride.

Allow me to wax poetic: American craft ales tend to reflect a certain sort of American mentality. They're bold, brash, heavily on the citrusy, piny hops and ABV. They're in your face and demand your attention. Fuller's, reflects a much more English sensibility. It's more subtle in flavor and alcohol burn. The hops are present, but they're more subdued than American hops. If American hops are like a guy yelling at you because he's mad at you, the hops in Fuller's are like a subtle insult, one you don't even realize was an insult until the guy left the room. It drinks more like a good lager than its higher ABV brethren.

We have entered a new era in Anglo-American relations today. :haha: I'm glad you found it, and happy that you appeared to like it too. I love the taste, and especially its bitterness. In fact, it was almost all I drank for a while after finding it. There are many UK beers like it on the market, and at only around 3.5% ABV, isn't going to get you drunk too quickly either. Would you drink it again? I also wonder how it differs in taste after its transatlantic journey?

PoN wrote:Shame, blah blah blah, trusted Michelob, blah blah blah, fruit beer made me sick...

:haha: Sorry. :evilgrin:

If you want fruit and beer together, you could see if Fruli is available near to you. It's made from 70% white beer and 30% pure fruit juice (in this case, strawberry). It is heavy, and definitely an acquired taste for some (it tastes predominantly of strawberries), but with an aftertaste that is definitely the white beer coming through - http://www.fruli.be/.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:If you want fruit and beer together, ...

But I don't.

Not anymore! :haha:
pieces o'nine

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Honestly PoN, there are good beers made with fruit in them. Especially lambics. Don't let yourself get turned off to them on the basis of the evil of macrobrew monstrosities.

Roland Deschain wrote:Would you drink it again?

Sure.

Roland Deschain wrote:I also wonder how it differs in taste after its transatlantic journey?

Well thankfully it gets shipped and sold in dark brown bottles, unlike some cheap Scottish breweries that sell theirs in clear bottles *coughcough*Innisandgunn*coughcough*.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Food