The Obvious Question

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

as for me and mine, we follow the meatballs

Postby Captain Stellette on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:23 pm

fusiontortellini wrote:I may call it Christmas and Easter, but it's actually Capitalism and Chocolate.

Quoted for TRUTH!

And, just for the record, I'm proud to say I've scathingly been called a "humanist" on the intarweb so it MUST be true.
"Now pirating the inland waterways of north central Texas (except during drought)."
Captain Stellette
Ziti Zealot

Re: as for me and mine, we follow the meatballs

Postby Shoeman on Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:07 am

Captain Stellette wrote:
fusiontortellini wrote:I may call it Christmas and Easter, but it's actually Capitalism and Chocolate.

Quoted for TRUTH!

And, just for the record, I'm proud to say I've scathingly been called a "humanist" on the intarweb so it MUST be true.

What does that mean? "Humanist?"
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Re: as for me and mine, we follow the meatballs

Postby Captain Stellette on Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:13 pm

Shoeman wrote:
Captain Stellette wrote:

Quoted for TRUTH!

What does that mean? "Humanist?"

In a short and concise explanation from dictionary.com:

'of or pertaining to a philosophy asserting human dignity and man's capacity for fulfillment through reason and scientific method and often rejecting religion; "the humanist belief in continuous emergent evolution"- Wendell Thomas'

It's mostly used as an insult by those who don't realize it's not an insult at all. :mrgreen:
"Now pirating the inland waterways of north central Texas (except during drought)."
Captain Stellette
Ziti Zealot

Postby wokka on Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:01 pm

Raised Christian, Turned Athiest, now Buddhist.
I am a Beliver!

The Diocese Of Yorkshire:
http://www.yfsm.tk/
wokka
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Shoeman on Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:27 pm

wokka wrote:Raised Christian, Turned Athiest, now Buddhist.

Buddhism is cool. I like Zen personally. Ideas like, The Beginner's mind.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Raised Christian

Postby SWONDPOOPING on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:39 pm

I was raised christian but by the time I was old enough to decide what made the most sense to me, I was drawn to Buddhism.

Hard to find others to discuss that with, but Pastafarianism will be easy to bring up at parties without that wierd silence.

RAmen
:fsm_glee: :fsm_glee: :fsm_glee: :fsm_glee: :fsm_glee:
I SHALL HEREBY BE KNOWN AS REV. "MARINARA" WILLIAMS AS I CONTINUE TO BRING PASTAFARIANISM TO THE MASSES.
SWONDPOOPING
Ziti Zealot

Re: Raised Christian

Postby ManicStar on Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:47 pm

SWONDPOOPING wrote:I was raised christian but by the time I was old enough to decide what made the most sense to me, I was drawn to Buddhism.

Me too-- altho I also had a brief foray into Wicca. One of those neo-Pagan Buddhist types :)

So what flavour of Buddhism got your attention?? mine was Zen, followed by Tibetan.
Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move men -- Goethe
ManicStar
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Shoeman on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:04 pm

I thought Tibetan was Zen? Gahh religioustolerance.org has to finish their section on Buddhism.

Oh duh, Wikipedia.

Anyway, well I think a lot of us have had brief forays into Wicca. I think its greatest strength is not being centralized and strict in doctrine. I mean the only universally followed rules in Wicca are in the Wiccan Rede aren't they?
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby iamnotanoctopus on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:57 pm

I was raised christian... blaarg, is all I have to say about that.

I would now consider myself an agnostic neo-pagan humanist of some kind... I think. I don't fully believe anything, although there are a great number of things I certainly couldn't buy into barring a lobotomy.
iamnotanoctopus
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby ManicStar on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:54 pm

Shoeman wrote:I thought Tibetan was Zen? Gahh religioustolerance.org has to finish their section on Buddhism.

Oh duh, Wikipedia.

Anyway, well I think a lot of us have had brief forays into Wicca. I think its greatest strength is not being centralized and strict in doctrine. I mean the only universally followed rules in Wicca are in the Wiccan Rede aren't they?

Tibetan & Zen are both Mahayana anyways.

The rede is one of the most common sense rules i've ever heard.
Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move men -- Goethe
ManicStar
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby lei on Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:45 am

oooh, there is a fun quiz!

(deleted 'cause i don't like pissing off mods.)

here's my top results. they provide explanations but i still don't know how #7 got in there (i only snorted, never mainlined.) and obviously they didn't include FSMism. otherwise it's pretty right on i guess:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (94%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (94%)
4. New Age (91%)
5. Liberal Quakers (88%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (84%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)
8. Taoism (75%)
9. Hinduism (70%)

try to teach that mess in a biology class!
"In a world of hate, love is the ultimate protest." - Chuck D
lei
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:49 am

Just gonna pop into this thread to say that I was raised Christian. The fact that people took these things seriously never really sank in until I was about 6 or 7 years old. That's when I stopped going to Church. I was then agnostic (and happy while doing it) for several years, until, of course, I found the FSM.

-(Rev. Brackets)
"The Big Bang violates the first Law of Thermodynamics!"
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Tickle on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:25 am

Just gonna pop into this thread to say that I was raised Christian. The fact that people took these things seriously never really sank in until I was about 6 or 7 years old. That's when I stopped going to Church. I was then agnostic (and happy while doing it) for several years, until, of course, I found the FSM.

That's the same as my story except I was 8. The members of the Church encouraged people to 'consider the lilies of the field, which neither reap nor spin' and complete submission to the will of the diety. I however, value achievement in earning, personal autonomy and responsibility.

the results of my belief-o-matic were:

1. Flying Spaghetti Monsterism (10000000%)
2. Secular Humanism (100%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (99%)...

...interesting...
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Alpaca on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:21 am

My parents have never particularly cared about what I thought religiously. (They do, however, think the FSM is great.) However, the crowd of Jesus-freaks that manages to perpetually follow me around, trying to convert me more than compensates.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Capellini on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Oh please GODS don't spread the Belief-o-matic around!

As host of the Paganism boards at B'net, I can't tell you how many people we get, EVERY MONTH, who have decided that they're Pagan because of the quiz (which is JUST FOR FUN, and NOT an accurate judge of religious belief). Its just a few more than the amount of people we get who say they're NOT devil worshipping baby killers, and don't know why the Belief-o-matic said they were.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

PreviousNext

Return to Locked Posts