Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:14 pm

DoYaThing, collaboration between the Gorillaz, Andre 3000, and James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:56 am

El Condor Pasa , by Ester Ofarim .
*sigh*
Wot a luverly voyce .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Weird 'Al' Yankovic - Stuck at the Drive-in - This is one of the best videos i've seen from him. Been on a bit of a binge since John Lennon stopped being played. I have no idea how I got from Lennon to Yankovic, though.

Roy Hunter wrote:This.

Britney Spears has a sex tape? :lech: :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Edit - [notty words]Shy FX - Junglist[/notty words]. I recognise about half of the samples used but it doesn't feel like a PWEI song where I have to find who did the samples, with this I can just enjoy how they're linked together.

Edit again - I was linked to [notty words]this[/notty words]. I can only agree with one reviewer and say it does for electronic music what Soulja Boy did for hip-hop :facewall:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am

I was just watching , " Catcerto" , the soloist was Nora .
She performed her own composition on piano .

I thought Nora performed beautifully . There seemed to be a lot of sampling going on , but what can one expect from a six year old.
There was a great deal of emoting as she channeled Glenn Gould for a particularly sublime movement.
I can't wait for another show .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 am

I have done a lot of listening lately:

The Sounds of the Suburbs performing Punk Anthems and the like in a local pub which seems very like The Admiral Benbow to me...full of ne'r do wells.

Just listened to Radcliffe and Maconie interviewing Belle and Sebastian's Chris Geddes and playing stuff from Belle and Sebastian's new album, and Fairport Convention's 'Meet on the Ledge'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 am

^Yeah I saw that.

A flashback to 1977...the era of punk rock...and Renaissance's 'Northern Lights'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Cool. I was listening to Rage Against the Machine today.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Yesterday I listened to Ravi Shankar's "Raga Nata Bhairav" from his "A Morning Raga / An Evening Raga" album. My cockatiel Cookie had presumably fallen off the ceiling of his cage during his exercises and hurt himself, as there was a loud crash and he was all puffed up, and biting at and violently twitching his left wing. Listening to the 23+ minute piece seemed to have calmed him down. He seems to be doing fine now. It must have been a very minor injury.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Mediaeval Baebes: Summerisle.
(From the *good* version!)

Here's a YouTube link.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 pm

^ I love that song. The film is a true classic (the original).

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 am

Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Tori Amos - I Don't Like Mondays
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors