Beer

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Beer

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm

This is good weird: Dogfish Head Brewing and hip-hop duo Deltron3030 are collaborating on a 9% ABV beer-cider hybrid, brewed with Fuji Apples, cayenne peppers, and fresh cilantro.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby DavidH on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:49 am

^ Wow! Or should I say, yeugh?

------------------------------------------------

Top Totty ale banned in Commons
Friday 3rd February 2012, 9:12AM GMT.

Staffordshire brewery bosses today spoke of their dismay after their Top Totty ale was banned from sale at Parliament because its pump plate featuring a half-naked blonde offended women.
It was withdrawn from the famous Strangers’ Bar at Westminster after a woman MP took offence at its cheeky pump clip.
An image of the woman in a bikini with bunny ears has been the symbol of Stafford-based Slater’s Brewery four per cent blonde beer for many years.
Within 90 minutes of shadow equalities minister Kate Green complaining yesterday it had been removed from sale.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I found another alcohol-free beer! A white one! Bavaria does a lager-type beer in 330ml bottles, I was in the supermarket on Thursday and I picked up the wrong bottles and got 275ml bottles of Bavaria Wit, a wheat / white / whatever beer instead.

It is lovely, if you like that sort of thing. You certainly wouldn't sit and drink half a dozen of them, but then you're not getting a buzz from them, so why would you? As a nice little bottle of beer to drink for the taste, however, it is lovely, very smooth and well balanced, it has a good texture / mouth feel, and doesn't leave you with the bitter aftertaste you quite often find from wheat beers.

I was just in Tesco and they're doing three six-packs of the tinnies for a fiver :bounce: I prefer the tins to the bottles, as well as getting more it seems to taste a bit more beery.

Plus the cans will squash down and with the amount of pretend beer I'm getting through that means it might all fit in the recycling bin :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Beer Payola in Washington, DC

This is a huge problem with craft and micro breweries, as it keeps them out of the biggest markets. It also shows how the idea of the free market as a pure meritocracy is complete crap.

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:57 am

PKMKII wrote:Beer Payola in Washington, DC

This is a huge problem with craft and micro breweries, as it keeps them out of the biggest markets. It also shows how the idea of the free market as a pure meritocracy is complete crap.

I'm being disgusted by a lot of things today. Microbreweries are great, and deserve their place in the market. What they don't deserve is to be forcibly pushed out-of-business.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Sam Adams Boston Lager to be brewed in the UK

Regional brewer Shepherd Neame is undertaking trials of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, with the beer to be packaged in both bottle and keg. The partners say that Sheps-brewed draught Boston Lager could be available to Britain’s on-trade as early as mid-April.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm

I think I've tried it once before, it tasted like a lager with flavour if my memory serves rightly. Fairly light body but a definite taste, like a Kronenbourg 1664 with less fruity taste.

Of course, I might have been pissed and confused it with something else entirely :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Tescos are currently selling Fuller's 1845 and it's in the 4 bottles for 6 quid sale :zen:

My first thought on tasting it was "F*** me that's strong" but it does have a rather nice flavour under the alcohol hit :drinking: I'm not sure whether 1845 or ESB would win in the category of 'Fuller's beer most likely to get you absolutely hammered without realising' but I think 1845 might just win it.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 pm

PKMKII wrote:Image

This stuff (along with port but not in the same glass.) The UK people (apart from Roland that's tried it before) might be shocked to find Murkins can make lager with flavour :shocked:

It's really quite nice although a bit too heavy for the circumstances I'd want to drink it in. The general feeling is a cold beer during hot weather to cool you down but this is a bit strong for that, you'd be hammered after a few and the taste is a bit overpowering as well. Very nice for a 'try this' beer but not something you'd want to drink all night.

I should add before PKMKII starts complaining I'm a tasteless oaf that I am indeed a tasteless oaf and for me a really good beer is one you can drink all day.

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 am

I have enjoyed some cracking bottled beers from the supermarkets lately:

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference London Porter, delicious and 5%.
Brains SA Gold, also 5% and very refreshing (the perfect beer for Zombies...the there's an advertising campaign there).
Jennings Snecklifter, 5% and pretty dark with a lovely story behind why it's called Snecklifter.
Hook Norton Double Stout, 5% and absolutely gorgeous.
Waitrose's Dunkel weisbeer...unusual dark Wheat beer, 5%.
M & S's beers are a bit pricey if you ask me but the 'Staffordshire IPA' is a beautiful pale ale and it's 5.5%.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 am

Bart, you shouldn't drink beer out of a cracked bottle. You'll make a mess of your clothes. :nefyoobash:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Bart, you shouldn't drink beer out of a cracked bottle. You'll make a mess of your clothes. :nefyoobash:

:moon:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I should add before PKMKII starts complaining I'm a tasteless oaf that I am indeed a tasteless oaf and for me a really good beer is one you can drink all day.

Why would I be complaining? The more furr'ners who think that America is capable of producing good beer, the better.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 am

I think I've mentioned this before but I did enjoy a very nice drop of ale in Greenwich Village once...it was Fullers London Pride!
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Food