What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

DavidH wrote:Just finished John Grisham, The Litigators, which I downloaded free via filestube. Very good fun for a courtroom novel.

I never bothered getting into John Grisham. Are any of his other novels really good, or are they pretty much of a much?
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:00 am

Well, they're worth a read if you like a legal thriller. Apart from always being about lawyers, they do vary a lot; some of them have considerable depth and explore issues like small-town prejudice, racial violence and the death penalty. Some I would re-read. The Litigators is just a pot-boiler, but it's fun. I never buy John Grisham books new, but the charity shops are full of them at reasonable prices.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:16 am

My sister told me a story about jetting around Europe, she bought a John Grisham novel at the airport, read half of it, got on a plane and left it in the coffee shop in the airport. At her next airport, she bought another copy, finished it and put it in her bag.

On the way back, she started reading it again, and only then realised that she had bought the wrong book the second time: she had read the first half of one John Grisham, the second half of another, and it had all fitted together perfectly in her mind.

I'm not sure if that is a comment on John Grisham novels, or on my sister's brain. You decide.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby DavidH on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 am

I'd guess she was unlucky in her choice of novels and/or was not reading with full attention, being on a plane.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby PKMKII on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 am

Finished Reamde. Was a fun romp, the way it's written would set it up perfectly for a film adaptation, if it wasn't for the fact that it would be 7-9 hours long (maybe HBO can do a mini-series). If there was one big, underlying theme, it's that social media should be seen as modifying our real-world relationships, and not replacing them.

However, I felt that the way it ended, especially for a writer who's normally highly descriptive, glossed over the legal issues and situations that would have inevitably arose due to the way the grand finale played out.

Think I'll start in on Murakami's 1Q84 now.

And in other book news, JK Rowling is going to write a non-Potter universe book for adult readers.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am

Roy Hunter wrote:My sister told me a story about jetting around Europe, she bought a John Grisham novel at the airport, read half of it, got on a plane and left it in the coffee shop in the airport. At her next airport, she bought another copy, finished it and put it in her bag.

On the way back, she started reading it again, and only then realised that she had bought the wrong book the second time: she had read the first half of one John Grisham, the second half of another, and it had all fitted together perfectly in her mind.

I'm not sure if that is a comment on John Grisham novels, or on my sister's brain. You decide.

:lol:

I read The Runaway Train whilst on holiday...wait it wasn't The Runaway Train it was The Runway and The Jury..no hang on...it was...
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:31 am

The Hilarious Confessions of 25 Wankers, which is free on Amazon. It purports to be genuine true confessions from a sex clinic, which I strongly doubt. Quite funny.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 am

DavidH wrote:The Hilarious Confessions of 25 Wankers, which is free on Amazon. It purports to be genuine true confessions from a sex clinic, which I strongly doubt. Quite funny.

I might look that up...it fits in with one of my favourite scenes from 'The Inbetweeners': "Buswankers."
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Let me put it this way - you could profitably emulate story #1 if you are acquainted with an obliging one-eyed lady who likes to "socket" to them.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby bacon on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 pm

DavidH wrote:Let me put it this way - you could profitably emulate story #1 if you are acquainted with an obliging one-eyed lady who likes to "socket" to them.

Aye, thar be manny a piiryte wiv tha' fantt-a-sea . . . argh. . .
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Uncle Tom's Cabin. Made an agreement with the missus that I'd read it if she'd read Last of the Mohicans. I'm four or five chapters in. I'm sure the story is all significant and poignant and stuff, but I'm not fond of the author's style. Strikes me as bordering on condescending to the reader.

Also, after a hundred and fifty years, you'd think they could have edited out misspellings. Bigonias? Really?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

Try reading Don Quixote..... caPiTal lEtters alL over the place. Poor punctuation, makes for a hard read.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03 am

TwistedSister wrote:Try reading Don Quixote..... caPiTal lEtters alL over the place. Poor punctuation, makes for a hard read.

Been there, done that. Have you attempted "The Sound and the Fury" by Faulkner? He rivals Dickens with his run-on sentences.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am

I'll see your Faulkner and raise you Look Homeward, Angel, wherein Thomas Wolfe writes, pens, sets forth, and describes at great length innumerable scenes, adverbally illustrating them if you will, with a host of redundant and repetitive adjectival descriptors. Such that the weary reader, wearily trudging ever forward, trudgingly, through a veritable thicket of purple prose, wearily and steadfastly setting one faltering foot falteringly ahead of the next, endeavors to arrive ultimately at the last, weary and faltering, upon the final page, and so offer a heartfelt thanks to God, whose tender mercies have tenderly strengthened the drooping eye and faltering hand of the readering reader.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 am

<gurgling sound>
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors