Official Loose Canon Translation Project

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Official Loose Canon Translation Project

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Ahoy my maties from foreign lands. We at the Council of Olive Garden would very much appreciate if anyone can translate our second holy book, the Loose Canon (http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/) into any other language. We'll seriously take any language, even fake ones. Thanks and sauce be with you.

Captain Jeff, Second Council of Olive Garden
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Re: Official Loose Canon Translation Project

Postby Yves Forban on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I began to translate Loose Canon into French. I try to remain faithful to the initial text, but I sometimes take some liberties to return better the spirit of certain passages (references to the culture anglo - saxone which split in French)
To see:
http://canonsperdus.canalblog.com/
Of what do you think of it? Do not hesitate to announce me nonsenses.
When we do not know where we go, it is necessary to hurry to arrive there to know where it is.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Yves Forban wrote:I began to translate Loose Canon into French. I try to remain faithful to the initial text, but I sometimes take some liberties to return better the spirit of certain passages (references to the culture anglo - saxone which split in French)
To see:
http://canonsperdus.canalblog.com/
Of what do you think of it? Do not hesitate to announce me nonsenses.

Jardin de L'Oliver ?!Ha ...ha....haaaa ... Drole
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Yves Forban on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:35 am

My English being rather bad, I use by machine translation systems, which were scientifically calibrated by Noodly Touch by the Very Holy Monster. They so propose rather literal translations of the text of origin which seems to infer many nonsenses.
But Masters Pasta are not fooled there: it is a question many messages coded by the Monster on the real meaning of the Sacred Texts. So as soon as a nonsense seems to me more delicious than the original, I see only an esoteric message of the Monster and the retranscribed as such there.
Having said that, some nonsenses seeming deprived of any sense, me deducts as well that from it the Monster was too much drunk this day there to supply me the quintescence of Its Thought, and puts back me on the original sense of the text.

So a translator of " 8 Condiments " translated the fifth by: ."I'd Really Rather You Didn't Challenge The Bigoted, Misogynist, Hateful Ideas Of Others Sour Stomachs. Bulge, and Later go to $%*§"}. (I have no idea of what this message makes here)"
"On an Empty Somach" being literally translated by "Sour Stomachs", the end of the sentence did not mean any more much, He has taken him out by this addition. Bringing addition one theological important nuance, suggesting that the Monster is sometimes so drunk that he sometimes says(tells) anything, and that you should not take literally everything.
This iconoclastic translation thus had a strength superior in the original by its lack of precision.

So, sense of some passages in piratees escapes me totally. Where from some incontroled skids, but where from I try to make delicious nevertheless.

Then Carbo Diem
When we do not know where we go, it is necessary to hurry to arrive there to know where it is.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 pm

You are not the only one who has put his faith in the Babelfish or Google translator. The results can be ... surprising.

Babel Fish wrote:Vous n'êtes pas la seule personne qui a mis sa foi dans le traducteur de Babelfish ou de Google. Les résultats peuvent être… étonnants.
Babel Fish back-to-English wrote:You n' do not be the only person who put her faith in the translator of Babelfish or Google. The results can be… astonishing.
ye gods! 'his faith' has been Babel-transformed to 'her faith'!

Google Translate wrote:Vous n'êtes pas le seul qui a mis sa foi dans le traducteur Babelfish ou Google. Les résultats peuvent être ... surprenant.
Google Translate back-to-English wrote:You are not the only one who has put his faith in the translator Babelfish or Google. The results can be ... surprising.

SYSTRANet wrote:Vous n'êtes pas la seule personne qui a mis sa foi dans le traducteur Babelfish ou Google. Les résultats peuvent être… étonnants.
SYSTRANet back to English wrote:You are not the only person who put her faith in the translator Babelfish or Google. The results can be… astonishing.
SYSTRANet is also performing gender-changing operations!
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 am

Platypus Enthusiast wrote:Ahoy my maties from foreign lands. We at the Council of Olive Garden would very much appreciate if anyone can translate our second holy book, the Loose Canon (http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/) into any other language. We'll seriously take any language, even fake ones. Thanks and sauce be with you.

It should, at the very least, be translated into Klingon...I am thinking of the future.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Yves Forban on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I suppose that you wanted to say :
"Tu n'es pas le seul qui ait placé sa foi en Piratefish ou Google translator. les résultats peuvent en être ... Surprenants."
I also have Reverso, particularly noodly which gives me:
Vous n'êtes pas les seuls qui ont mis sa foi en Babelfish ou le traducteur Google. Les résultats peuvent être l'étonnant(le surprenant) de ....

But sometime(faith) we have the general sense(direction), we démèle the knots Spaghettiens of the translator (or not), and that rolls my hen (there, I corrected nothing to see if the sauce set well).

What makes, retranslates by Spanish, German, Chinese Hebrew and Russian languages in the passage :
We, however, some days (belief) there is the general who is felt that we (in the administration in contact) it I Spaatians that I - translator, (or not) that to promise this list I - it my chicken (if there are each improvements, I see the proposal of good axis).

Ach so ! Who can be translated by : Argh !
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Yves Forban wrote:What makes, retranslates by Spanish, German, Chinese Hebrew and Russian languages in the passage :
We, however, some days (belief) there is the general who is felt that we (in the administration in contact) it I Spaatians that I - translator, (or not) that to promise this list I - it my chicken (if there are each improvements, I see the proposal of good axis).

Ah, ^ that is the *best* way to use an internet translation system! :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Yves Forban on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am

It should, at the very least, be translated into Klingon...I am thinking of the future.

In Spok spoken of course
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Yves Forban on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Well, more learnedly seriousness, I have difficulty in translating this passage of " The New Pastament - The Acts of the Apastals ".
If you could retranscribe it to me in fluent English, at least the terms in jargon and in summary, I could translate it and retranscribe it there spoken French pirate later. Thank you in advance of your benevolence :
42 Bach was at first unopposed and wore his regalia proudly, but, before long, was challenged by Bierul the Giant, master of the first eighth. 43 “No ‘ats een d’buildeen, BACH!” cried Bierul. 44 The bellowing voice shook Bach to his very foundation. 45 He braced himself and found strength in His Noodlyness, at which time he responded: “yar, there be a clause in d’ no ‘at rule ye be brandishin’ ’round. 46 Ye see, it be permitted fer ‘ats t’be donned fer religous reasonin…”

47 But before Bach’s argument had been heard out, Bierul struck him down with his fearsome cane, “Yees’ot two choicees: firstly, yoo can t’k off d’at. 48 Secondly, yoo can face Hale.” 49 Bach knew that he would most likely have to face Hale, master the eighths, and was about to meet Bierul’s threat head-on, when he felt a tug on his Appendage Manifestation and heard His voice:

50 Though thine intent fall on the boat, don’t be too eager to set sail. 51 My word spreads, let it reverberate fore thy encounter with the master of the eighths. 52 Thine boat yet requires a hull, without which it will sink. 53 When the time is right, thou wilt know. 54 When the time is right, act on it, but do not risk the peril of premature action.

55 “So, wot’ll eet be,” demanded Bierul. 56 “Oi be taken off me hat, Bierul, but in soul, it remain where it now lie,” responded Bach, as he scornfully removed his hat, and took seat amongst the subjects of the first eighth.

57 And so Bach was persecuted, but at the begining of the second eighth, he readorned his hat anew. 58 Meller, master of the second eighth, recieved his Noodly Appendage, and even had Bach speak His word to the class. 59 The third and fourth eighths went by without notice, but as Bach traveled to the room of the fifth eighth a voice decreed “Eh! Captain Ahab! 60 Teke off th’ hat!” 61 The FSM sent along his twined appendage:

62 Now is the time, Bach! 63 Now! 64 With all that thy have, let thine faith pour from thy mouth like beer from our heavenly volcano!

65 “Teke off th’ hat, please,” commanded Nor. 66 With a ferver, Bach replied, “Ay, that I shan’t be doin’. 67 This be me Regalia, and I shan’t be takin’ it off. 68 It be a divine decree that I should be wearin’ it. 69 Shouldst I need to be speakin wit’ a man higher up ‘an yerself to rectify this problem, I be glad to comply.” 70 And so it happened that Bach was directed to Hale, the master of the eighths.

71 Bach entered the master of the eighth’s chambers, and was met by a wench. 72 “Wot’s ‘e matter? 73 Wot you need’e see Hale fer,” inquired the wench. 74 “Oi be needin’ to see the master of the eighth’s to rectify a conflict o’ faith an’ law,” replied Bach. 75 He was then seated to wait, as Hale was busy with mastering the eighths. 76 As he waited, for audience with Hale, Bach encountered Reldnarch, the pirate. 77 Bach and Reldnarch exchanged piratey words, and then he departed. 78 With his spirits bolstered by this encoutner, Bach was called back to see Hale.

79 “What is all this about FSMism that I hear?” Asked Hale.

80 “Oi, ye see, I was wearin’ me hat in celebration o’ th’ day, when I wos accosted boi a man who told me Oi couldn’t wear me hat! 81 ‘E said ‘at I should ‘ave a word wit’ you an’ that would be that and Oi could wear my ‘at! 82 So, I come to yer and ask yer kindly ‘at you respect me rights and let me wear me hat,” Bach replied.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Yves Forban on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Except for one or two expressions, I understand the weft of the story, but I am nevertheless shy of translating sometimes in opposite sense : I mark in red the delicate passages. Besides, this retranscription will be only of the most useful for the translators of the other one languages (tongues : I like it).
42 Bach was at first unopposed and wore his regalia proudly, but, before long, was challenged by Bierul the Giant, master of the first eighth. 43 “No ‘ats een d’buildeen, BACH!” cried Bierul. 44 The bellowing voice shook Bach to his very foundation. 45 He braced himself and found strength in His Noodlyness, at which time he responded: “yar, there be a clause in d’ no ‘at rule ye be brandishin’ ’round. 46 Ye see, it be permitted fer ‘ats t’be donned fer religous reasonin…”

47 But before Bach’s argument had been heard out, Bierul struck him down with his fearsome cane, “Yees’ot two choicees: firstly, yoo can t’k off d’at. 48 Secondly, yoo can face Hale.” 49 Bach knew that he would most likely have to face Hale, master the eighths, and was about to meet Bierul’s threat head-on, when he felt a tug on his Appendage Manifestation and heard His voice:

50 Though thine intent fall on the boat, don’t be too eager to set sail. 51 My word spreads, let it reverberate fore thy encounter with the master of the eighths. 52 Thine boat yet requires a hull, without which it will sink. 53 When the time is right, thou wilt know. 54 When the time is right, act on it, but do not risk the peril of premature action.

55 “So, wot’ll eet be,” demanded Bierul. 56 “Oi be taken off me hat, Bierul, but in soul, it remain where it now lie,” responded Bach, as he scornfully removed his hat, and took seat amongst the subjects of the first eighth.

57 And so Bach was persecuted, but at the begining of the second eighth, he readorned his hat anew. 58 Meller, master of the second eighth, recieved his Noodly Appendage, and even had Bach speak His word to the class. 59 The third and fourth eighths went by without notice, but as Bach traveled to the room of the fifth eighth a voice decreed “Eh! Captain Ahab! 60 Teke off th’ hat!” 61 The FSM sent along his twined appendage:

62 Now is the time, Bach! 63 Now! 64 With all that thy have, let thine faith pour from thy mouth like beer from our heavenly volcano!

65 “Teke off th’ hat, please,” commanded Nor. 66 With a ferver, Bach replied, “Ay, that I shan’t be doin’. 67 This be me Regalia, and I shan’t be takin’ it off. 68 It be a divine decree that I should be wearin’ it. 69 Shouldst I need to be speakin wit’ a man higher up ‘an yerself to rectify this problem, I be glad to comply.” 70 And so it happened that Bach was directed to Hale, the master of the eighths.

71 Bach entered the master of the eighth’s chambers, and was met by a wench. 72 “Wot’s ‘e matter? 73 Wot you need’e see Hale fer,” inquired the wench. 74 “Oi be needin’ to see the master of the eighth’s to rectify a conflict o’ faith an’ law,” replied Bach. 75 He was then seated to wait, as Hale was busy with mastering the eighths. 76 As he waited, for audience with Hale, Bach encountered Reldnarch, the pirate. 77 Bach and Reldnarch exchanged piratey words, and then he departed. 78 With his spirits bolstered by this encoutner, Bach was called back to see Hale.

79 “What is all this about FSMism that I hear?” Asked Hale.

80 “Oi, ye see, I was wearin’ me hat in celebration o’ th’ day, when I wos accosted boi a man who told me Oi couldn’t wear me hat! 81 ‘E said ‘at I should ‘ave a word wit’ you an’ that would be that and Oi could wear my ‘at! 82 So, I come to yer and ask yer kindly ‘at you respect me rights and let me wear me hat,” Bach replied.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Yves Forban on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Ahoy my maties from foreign lands. We at the Council of Olive Garden would very much appreciate if anyone can translate our second holy book, the Loose Canon (http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/) into any other language. We'll seriously take any language, even fake ones. Thanks and sauce be with you.

Sorry, but I do not manage to join on the site: it refuses to give me a login. In the meantime, I pass here.
It's a pity, I also have some proposals of verses to be subjected to it.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 am

Some of this really reads like Doctor Seuss, lol. In order, i'll put the red parts in English for you. I hope it helps. The italicised parts in the brackets are for clarification of something only. Let us know if you need any more help:-

No ‘ats een d’buildeen = No hats in the building

yar, there be a clause in d’ no ‘at rule ye be brandishin’ ’round. 46 Ye see, it be permitted fer ‘ats t’be donned fer religous reasonin… = Yar (pirate call, as in "Yaaarrrrggghhh!", or even just "Yes!"), there is a clause (caveat or loophole) in the no hat rule you are brandishing around (waving or flourishing menacingly/forcefully - as if the rule is a weapon). You see, it is permitted for hats to be donned (worn/put on) for religious reasons...

Oi be taken off me hat, Bierul, but in soul, it remain where it now lie,” responded Bach, as he scornfully removed his hat, and took seat amongst the subjects of the first eighth. = I am taking off my hat, Bierul, but in soul (? Author needed for clarification here, but I think it means "but in essence", as in the hat is coming off, but it remains on his head in the spirit of the protest), it remains where it lies now," respondes Bach, as he scornfully (with contempt or disdain) removed his hat, and took a seat (sat down) amongst the subjects of the first eighth.

Captain Ahab! 60 Teke off th’ hat! = Captain Ahab (the captain of the ship in the book "Moby Dick" - Leave as it is)! 60 Take off the hat!

“Teke off th’ hat, please,” commanded Nor. = "Take off the hat, please," commanded (ordered) Nor (Nor is a name).

“Ay, that I shan’t be doin’. 67 This be me Regalia, and I shan’t be takin’ it off. = Ay (as in "Aye aye, sir" - a naval term used instead of "yes", but in English can be used to just acknowledge what was said, which is why it is followed by a negative term (a poor example - "C'est magnifique, non?") ), I will not do that". 67 This is my Regalia (pirate dress/clothing), and I will not take it off.

Wot’s ‘e matter? 73 Wot you need’e see Hale fer,” inquired the wench. 74 “Oi be needin’ to see the master of the eighth’s to rectify a conflict o’ faith an’ law, = What's the matter (what is wrong)? 73 What do you need to see Hale for," inquired the wench. 74 "I need to see the master of the eighth's to rectify (correct) a conflict of faith and law,

Oi, ye see, I was wearin’ me hat in celebration o’ th’ day, = Oh, you see, I was wearing my hat in celebration of the day,

E said ‘at I should ‘ave a word wit’ you an’ that would be that and Oi could wear my ‘at! = He said that I should have a word (speak) with you and that would be that (that would be the end of the problem/conversation), and I could wear my hat!

:zen:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Yves Forban on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Many many thanks
Well, I had almost understood well everything finally, and your sensible precision was me of a big help for the uncertain passages : the translation will be there only more correct.
There is not French pirate Language, only sailor language. But two regions distinguish themselves in piracy : Brittany and the North.
This below even two statues of privateers which decorate the main square of two cities
Robert Surcouf in Saint Malo (Britany)
Jean Bart In Dunkerque (North)
A journeyman of Jean Bart even gave his name to a city near Dunkerque : "Saint Pol", who had nothing of a saint, but this funny nickname of holiness is obvious for Pastafarians, of course. To see the Carnival of Dunkerque dedicated to Jean Bart, here : http://pastafarismemars.canalblog.com/archives/2011/03/12/20611591.html

All this to say that I chose the dialect of the North as spoken pirate : the Breton being language incomprehensible to the French speakers, while the "Chti" [ i ] (dialect of the North) [/i] looks like former French [ i ] (of the time of the pirates) [/i] which everybody understands well enough. "Chti" indicates both this dialect, and the inhabitants of the northem France, and means literally "little" in French : evident allusion to midgets. I shall add it some expressions of the Captain Haddock (Tintin), to strengthen the connotation pirate.
Yves Forban
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 pm

De rien, Yves. Glad to see that it helped. I recognise one of those pirates. I believe this is the guy:-

It was 3 1/2 years ago almost, but I knew i'd seen him before. I found Dunkerque to be a bit of a bland concrete jungle, with some nice spots. The beach was mightily impressive (huge, bleak, and inspiring).
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Next

Return to Languages Other than English