What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:08 pm

2am burnt bacon sarnie. I feel almost like a student again (apart from that was usually 4am bacon sarnie and it was cremated) :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 am

It's not so much food as drink, but I am contemplating treating myself to a Creme Brulee Latte!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Sausages and beans with tabasco, Worcester sauce and beer :antipasta:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Bacon sarnie with brown sauce. I do seem to have eaten a lot of processed pig-product this weekend :paranoid:

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Kind-of paella-type thing made with carnaroli (risotto) rice, chicken, bacon, mushrooms, peppers, chillis, flaked almonds, cashews and paella seasoning. Also loads of smoked paprika, black pepper, chilli powder and lemon juice.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:02 am

Reading this thread has reminded me what I'm missing. :cry:

DB - cold sausages (but not hot ones) always made me hiccough. Image

Made. There's a reason for the past tense. Over the last couple of months I have come to accept that my digestive system really cannot cope with meat any more. :bummer: :cry:

The list of things I can't eat will soon be longer than the things I can. :cry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that I've got that out of my system; hubby and I took the gentler roads home from Wollongong yesterday (the freeway was packed, and that isn't good in heavy rain) and found a little place called Wilton that had the most amazing take-away/café.

Hubby and I each had a generous piece of fish (mine grilled, his battered) with 1/4 lemon each, a large portion of chips between us and a pot of tea. The bill? A measley $12.50 for the lot. :zen:

To put that in perspective: the day before I had grilled fish and chips at the club and it cost $18.00. :shocked:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 pm

That paella combo sounds really great, Roy. I do a lot of free-form cooking like that too.

Tigger, I have had a similar experience of narrowing the diet over the years. For me, it's the opposite of yours, though. My system will only tolerate tiny amounts of carbohydrates. I haven't had a loaf of bread in the house for at least 6 months. If I get any more bread than one little bun on a big burger or hot dog in a day, I feel drugged. Fruit feels like getting a shot of opium or something. The exception is lactose. I can easily go through a couple liters a day of milk, no problem. I basically live on meat, dairy products, and vegetables.

Right NOW, however, I'm eating some vietnamese chaya (meat & veggie egg rolls). They are so amazingly good that I was literally sworn to secrecy for life for the recipe, seriously, which was only given to me to fulfill a debt of honor. It's one of those family secret things from someone's grandmother in Vietnam. For all I know, it could be rather obvious in some regions, posted all over the internet, but I've never seen or heard of its like in the west.

They taste so good it almost makes you go into a swoon by the fourth bite. It's one of those foods you have to fight not to gorge on until you pass out. Once cooked, they keep well if wrapped for backpack rations on long patrols and foraging excursions, so they're practical, too.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:28 pm

I am going to eat an olive. Unfortunately the olive is in the bottom of this martini, so I have to drink that before I can eat the olive. It's not easy being me...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Sudafed and cider.

In other news, I forgot to buy jelly :cry: It genuinely doesn't feel like Monkey until I've irritated my brother by wibbling jelly near him :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby Ravi Oli on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:47 am

Ham.... today, tomorrow, the rest of the week.... please post your "101 receipes for leftover Xmas Ham."
Got one a little smaller than usual but forgot Chrissy Dinner attendee numbers would be less than half this year.
Wonders how it goes grated over cereal....
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Turkey and sweet leek pie made with leftover turkey, ham and stuffing.

Recipe here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turk ... leek-pie-1 (use leftover ham instead of bacon!)

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Home-made ham and onion marmalade on wholemeal toast (bread bought from a shop, but made into toast at home). Proper big pretzels from the market in St. Enoch Square. Cabernet Sauvignon from California.
Roy Hunter

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:41 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Home-made ham and onion marmalade on wholemeal toast (bread bought from a shop, but made into toast at home). Proper big pretzels from the market in St. Enoch Square. Cabernet Sauvignon from California.

I'm having trouble visualising this, Roy. Is it ham-and-onion marmalade which is home made (sounds weird…)

OR

Is it home-cured ham, with onion marmalade (sounds a little less weird; I'd quite like to try making onion marmalade…)?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 am

Home-cured ham and home-made onion marmalade. Making the onion marmalade is pretty easy if you don't mind chopping a couple of kilos of onions... :cry:
Roy Hunter

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 pm

I don't mind. When chopping onions a lot of onions, I slice of the top, rinse it under cold water, score down the sides then peel back the dry layers and stand the onion on its cut surface before going on to the next. When all are in that state, holding the peeled-back layers I slice each one down to the base, chucking the base into the pot we keep handy for chicken food; thus avoiding the worst of the aroma which is found around the roots. That way I can chop up a dozen onions with fewer tears than my husband has after one, :cry: which he insists on topping-and-tailing first, before even peeling, despite my explaining the better way to him on every occasion. Old habits… :idiot:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

PreviousNext

Return to Food