Vengeance

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Vengeance

Postby Aclor79 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 am

Vengeance belongs only to the Holy One.

This is one of the suggestions. Does it apply to all vengeance, or just pasta related vengeance?
Praise be to The Sauced And Noodly One, and may your cheese never be from a green cardboard can. R'amen.
Aclor79
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: Vengeance

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 pm

I don't think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is too interested in vengeance.

After all, as the 8 IRRYDs seem to indicate, He seems to be fairly tolerant about most things.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Venganza is Spanish for Revenge, or Vengeance. Perhaps it simply means that the FSM is the true owner of the website, regardless of how it's hosted, or Bobby's supposed ownership, or any of that.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Aclor79 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Venganza is Spanish for Revenge, or Vengeance. Perhaps it simply means that the FSM is the true owner of the website, regardless of how it's hosted, or Bobby's supposed ownership, or any of that.

Interesting point. There are two problems though: 1) That could only be the case if the site came before the suggestions, and 2) the rest of the suggestion reads:
The FSM wrote:Should you happen upon a restaurant that serves pasta that is not up to the standard of the Holy One, simply deny that restaurant your business in the future. You shall not vandalize, burn, harass, or otherwise disturb the peace.

implying that He is talking about real vengeance, and causing my original question about whether it applies to non-pasta-related vengeance. Again though, very interesting connection. Perhaps the website was named venganza for that reason?
Praise be to The Sauced And Noodly One, and may your cheese never be from a green cardboard can. R'amen.
Aclor79
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Ah, context is everything. I read that as merely an example of a case where one might want to take vengeance, but does not, for love of the FSM. I don't see much reason to take the term 'vengeance' in this case as pasta specific.

Though, to be sure, pasta related vengeance would be the most offensive to the FSM.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 pm

But conversely, wouldn't pasta-related offensiveness be most worthy of vengeance?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Aclor79 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Though, to be sure, pasta related vengeance would be the most offensive to the FSM.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:But conversely, wouldn't pasta-related offensiveness be most worthy of vengeance?

Yes, but He seems to be saying that He will be the only one to carry out that vengeance. :furious:
Aclor79
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby àLaCapri on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm

what to do when our Holiness is mocked upon?
Is it allowed to squirt ketchup or throw tomato sauce at him? Am I allowed to serve this person overly cooked tagliatelle? How about chemical warfare? Can I throw molded parmesan on a mocker's and nonbeliever's plate of bolognese?

these are all ethical and moral questions I'm struggling with. Could someone please give some moral background on these issues?

I've became a believer when I officially left my church in 2006, but this is the first time I join the crowd.
àLaCapri
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Ahoy!

Generally speaking, Pastafarians don't react to derision with attempts at physical harm and property damage. We prefer to respond to derision with more derision.

I STRONGLY discourage getting yourself sued (or possibly arrested) for deliberately giving your ex-wife food poisoning (possibly killing her) or destroying her clothing.

The FSM is only a wrathful god when He's especially drunk, and even then He feels bad about it afterward. I suggest trying to set a good example for Him. It's unfortunate that we have to be more mature than our deity, but that's generally the case with most religions. We're just more honest about it.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:36 pm

He also enjoys a good wit, so if someone mocks him, just mock their deity back, or, if better joke can be made, join in and mock His Noodliness along with your acquaintance. One theory is that we were created to cure his cosmic boredom, so as long as the jokes are quality enough, He doesn't mind being the butt of them.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby godslittlemonkey on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Vengeance Is A Dish Best Served Cold; set out vengeance to season for 2 days uncovered, then store loosely covered in a cold place for 17 days. On the 18th day remove and taste. If it is not to your liking or makes you ill throw out the vengeance and wash the container. Or so I've been told...
godslittlemonkey
Conchigliette Convert

Postby black bart on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:33 pm

The next time a Witness of Jo Hova knocks on my door (it has been frequent of late) I may not be able to restrain myself. Can I be absolved in advance?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Try quoting something from Anton Lavey; that should do the trick. :haha:

I quoted from the Papyrus of Ani; that's how I got rid of mine.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 am

From the Online Etymological Dictionary:

“vengeance (n.)
c.1300, from Anglo-Fr. vengeaunce, O.Fr. vengeance "revenge," from vengier "take revenge," from L. vindicare "to set free, claim, avenge" (see vindicate).”

This is a post I decided not to make last year, but now I think I will, because I feel like it and the thread is still active.

“Vengeance” is a story about laws and burdens. In tribal times/societies, the eldars settled all matters according to their wisdom. Then came empires, and the rulers had more to handle than there was time for under the eldar system. Therefore, they made laws convenient to themselves. The Code of Hammurabi was an early version of such laws, including lists of crimes. It had “high” crimes, i.e. high on the list. This is stuff like treason, defrauding the state, rebellion, etc. “Low crimes” were stuff like stealing chickens and public nuisances that didn’t affect the mighty directly, but technically the city guards could deal with them if they wanted. A merchant could bribe the guards to deal with it, at least.

In between is stuff that really matters to people, but didn’t threaten the empire so much individually: murder, rape, cheating in business with private parties. Since these still didn’t always get enforced by the empire, a moral code evolved that the people were honor-bound to see these things got handled somehow.

By classical times (greco-roman/norse) there still wasn’t an effective civil police investigation system by modern standards. If someone murdered your brother, you were “bound by both gods and honor” to set his spirit free of this injustice by taking action yourself. Many believed the murdered spirit could not reach the afterlife until you did. You would declare vengeance-quest in some fashion/ceremony and go after the offender.

This was justified action under the law. You had a claim to it by honor. It freed the world of that evil. You were vindicated in your actions. It had to be done. It was “the country’s justice” in the hands of honorable citizens. In other words, the offender “had it coming” and you were just the “avenging hand of the gods.” You were acting as “Nemesis” as the greeks personified it. You were defending the righteousness of the law. This is vengeance... where the rulers could/did not act in time, the land itself rose up against crime.

These days most people put more trust in the official system and its constitutions, but still the ethic remains. The law needs supporting. When someone tries to create tyranny in a free state, the people must take action. In the USA, where no religion shall be established by the state, trying to institute such religion in state-funded schools is an attempt to make tyranny against the 1st Amendment. The state needed help defending itself against such politics

The people were honor-bound to act in defense of the law, to keep it free. It had to be done. Religious tyrants were trying to subvert the country, so they got a Flying Spaghetti Monster in return, in their face, maybe as a nemesis/totem to guard the law against such partisan attacks. This is justified. It is vindicated action. They had it coming. This is the Vengeance of the Land, and it has been... effective.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby TDKs on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:21 pm

You know what, I can solve this. I asked the Prophet Bobby via the holy medium of email.
He says it was the name he wanted to give his Pirate Ship, not a commandment. Ergo, Vengence (aka, Venganza!) would have indeed belonged to the Holy One.
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Next

Return to All Things FSM