What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby Ravi Oli on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

^partial to steak and kidney myself, liver [beef - not lambs fry] or liver and bacon is a treat. Beef heart is nice and lean. Haven't had crumbed brains for a long time - don't know if you can even get them now. Only offal I can't really 'stomach' is tripe - used to get it fairly often as kids but it never really enthused me. Post your receipe when you have it mastered.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm

We used to get liver, kidneys, and sweetbreads quite a lot when I was a kid (in the 1970s, food was comparitively much more expensive than it is now, and we ate more of the cheaper cuts and a lot less food overall. Guess what? We weren't fat. Coincidence? Correlation? Cause and effect? Who can say?). These days it is much harder to actually find the stuff: supermarkets quite often have just a small amount of liver (in tiny packs, for old people I presume), and nothing else like kidneys, heart, sweetbreads, tripe.

I haven't seen calves' or sheep's brains since BSE came to the fore, I am pretty sure they are illegal in the human food chain these days. Haggis has never been the same since...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby DavidH on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Pheasant curry, my favourite.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby gronank on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm eating delicious chocholate ice-cream bought at a wellknown lowprice supermarket chain originating from germany. You should really try some!
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Sausages and mustard.

A few observations:
Cold sausages are just as tasty, and possibly slightly better, than hot sausages.
Squeezy mustard is probably the tastiest invention of the last few years.
Swiss army knives are great for situations when there's no available cutlery :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:28 am

daftbeaker wrote:A few observations:
Cold sausages are just as tasty, and possibly slightly better, than hot sausages.

Likewise IMHO cold pizza.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 am

I've never been a big fan of cold pizza, as I prefer it hot. It's the same with Chinese and Indian takeaway. I know plenty of people who like it cold, but again, i've never been a fan.

Anyways, I have just eaten a light lunch consisting of scrambled eggs on two slices of toast. The eggs had milk, dried mixed herbs, cracked black pepper, and sweetcorn mixed into them. And some Tintern Cheddar with chives and shallots. All in all, it was a tasty meal.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 am

The Holy Food again: spaghetti bolognese. I love it on an earthly level as well as the spiritual plane.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 am

I did the Spag Carbonara recipe that Cardinal fang posted a while back and it was yummy. Apparently this is the traditional way to make Carbonara and the name comes from the workers for whom it was prepared, the Carbonari who were Italian charcoalmen.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Wasabi peas. :love:
Oh, baby! Where have you been all my life?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Wasabi peas. :love:
Oh, baby! Where have you been all my life?

You've never had Wasabi peas until this moment? OMFSM, your mouth must be in beer volcano heaven right now. I adore them. They're more addictive than crack!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Well, it was half an hour ago but I got 3 pints, a burger and chips for £9.59 :zen:

The only minor problem was that they had no English mustard so I had to settle for the French stuff (which looks unpleasantly brown and lumpy :paranoid: )

I did get all my marking done though :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Trampledbygeese on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:
Currently trying out a new brand of No MSG, Non-Fried instant noodles, Vegetarian Curry flavor.

No MSG? Is it soy free too? If so, where does one find this unusual pasta?

As for what I'm eating right now, tonight is leftover rice fried with Kimchi and a side of Japanese vegetables (carrot kinpira and komatsuna).
Trampledbygeese
Ziti Zealot

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Not right now but I had a vicious chicken vindaloo. It wasn't as dry as vindaloos normally are but did take two pints to calm it down. I may regret this choice tomorrow :paranoid:

daftbeaker

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:42 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Not right now but I had a vicious chicken vindaloo. It wasn't as dry as vindaloos normally are but did take two pints to calm it down. I may regret this choice tomorrow :paranoid:

Try not to get bogged down with the after-effects...:haha:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Food