Upcoming Films...

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Upcoming Films...

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm

PKMKII wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:What makes him a decent actor? Personally I'd have to rate Brad Pitt as the best of the current young(ish) actors, I didn't recognise him in Snatch until someone told me who that pikey was :haha:

Really? I mean, he was entertaining in Inglourious Basterds, but Dicaprio seems to take the craft much more seriously than Pitt. Besides, Johnny Depp is only a year older than Pitt and I'd rank him much higher than Mr. Jolie.

The way I judge an actor is if I identify more with their character than them. For example, Keanu Reeves is always Keanu Reeves, he just happens to play different characters. Brad Pitt on the other hand tends to be Mickey and then later I realise it's Brad Pitt playing Mickey, if that makes any sense. Brad Pitt in Fight Club, Burn After Reading, Snatch, Friends and Ocean's Eleven is different people in each.

Maybe I just haven't seen enough films to judge, I can only think of Titanic with DiCaprio as a definite one I've seen.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Although I like Brad Pitt - Fight Club, Snatch, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Twelve Monkeys and Meet Joe Black all being excellent - I think Leo may just beat him, although i'm not completely convinced. It's too close to call. Brad seems to have a more playful nature in his characters, whereas Leo is more serious. Neither are specifically bad, just different. I can name several films of Leo's where I thought his performance was good:-

Catch Me If You Can
Inception (excellent concept, and the ending...wow!)
Shutter Island (such a good film, this one)
Blood Diamond
Romeo and Juliet
The Beach
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Catch Me If You Can
Inception (excellent concept, and the ending...wow!)
Shutter Island (such a good film, this one)
Blood Diamond
Romeo and Juliet
The Beach

I'd also put The Aviator up there. that and Catch Me If You Can are probably my favorite DiCaprio movies.

Also, db, you must not care much for Morgan Freeman, Michael Cain, Patrick Stewart, George Clooney or Meryl Streep much. :P Of course, it varies with the role, but particularly with Morgan Freeman, that's basically the joke, he's always Morgan Freeman. But he's still a good actor, IMO.

Also, the roles picked do influence things. I don't think Pitt would do well in those DiCaprio roles we mentioned, as you say Roland, because there a little more serious. Not that Pitts roles are easier or cheaper, but the roles DiCaprio tends to take just require more crafting.

I guess it's just that comparing them, when I see a Pitt movie, I don't think "damn, that's acting."
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Also, db, you must not care much for Morgan Freeman, Michael Cain, Patrick Stewart, George Clooney or Meryl Streep much.

Michael Caine in his youth is the exception. Get Carter and The Italian Job are different characters.
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Of course, it varies with the role, but particularly with Morgan Freeman, that's basically the joke, he's always Morgan Freeman. But he's still a good actor, IMO.

Otherwise, yes, they're stuck in the same role playing the same thing in different costumes. Be honest, when you see Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty or Michael Caine in Batman, you don't think 'Oh, there's god/Alfred', you think 'Oh, there's Morgan Freeman/Michael Caine'. Which again is not necessarily a bad thing, just a reflection on the ability to act. For comparison there's Maggie Smith who I take a good 20 minutes to spot in the Harry Potter films, despite her playing the same character because she seems to change between films in the series. I'd have to check it but I'm willing to bet the McGonagall of the first film is different to that of the last film in terms of body language, speech patterns and stage presence despite being the same actress in the same role.

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I guess it's just that comparing them, when I see a Pitt movie, I don't think "damn, that's acting."

Anyone who can pull off a Home Counties gypsy convincingly and is American deserves a few Oscars :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 am

I like Anthony Hopkins of course but I think he suffers a little from the Michael Caine syndrome...not as bad though. Sean Connery again is always Sean Connery even when he's just wearing underwear:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 am

black bart wrote:I like Anthony Hopkins of course but I think he suffers a little from the Michael Caine syndrome...not as bad though. Sean Connery again is always Sean Connery even when he's just wearing underwear...

There was no need for that picture, Bart. No need. You Zardoz! :haha:

Another upcoming film i'm excited about is The Raid. It's about a raid on the most notorious safe house in Jakarta, the place where only the worst go. Looks sick from the trailer, what with all the guns, martial arts and explosions. Should be good!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ChowMein on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:54 am

Red Nails , the Conan flick has stalled , may not get finished , *sigh*
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby PKMKII on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:29 pm

daftbeaker wrote:The way I judge an actor is if I identify more with their character than them.

I would like to point out that it's not always the fault of the actor if they're constantly typecasted in the same sort of roles. If an actor consistently is only offered the same sort of role (probably because they became famous for that archetype), then it's the fault of the studios, directors, and agents. It's not like an actor can force a studio or director to craft the role to what they want, or to something outside of what they normally portray.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:I would like to point out that it's not always the fault of the actor if they're constantly typecasted in the same sort of roles. If an actor consistently is only offered the same sort of role (probably because they became famous for that archetype), then it's the fault of the studios, directors, and agents. It's not like an actor can force a studio or director to craft the role to what they want, or to something outside of what they normally portray.

It partly is and partly isn't their own fault. Yes, the studios will keep offering them those sorts of roles if they become famous for them, but the actor/actress can always turn it down. This, of course, could end up putting them out of work, and they just take them anyway as it's regular work/money. Or it could be that an actor loves that sort of role, and revels in it, although they may end up getting tired of it in the end. It happens to a lot of actors, where they go through a period of one type of film, then suddenly change to something completely different. Look at Robin Williams' "Axis of Evil" films, like the excellent One Hour Photo, where he plays roles a pole apart from his usual ones. It doesn't always work out for them, as they may lose their touch at acting as someone different, or we just find that they never had that talent in the first place. Hollywood does suck at times, yes.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

^ Yes.
I went to Moscow on the Hudson back in the day, looking forward to character development beyond his Mork schtick. For some reason, I did not/could not 'believe' him in that role for one minute. It was a disorienting experience, and I didn't find him convincing in a serious role until Dead Poet's Society.

I'm considering going to Rum Diary; any reactions to this one?
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 am

pieces o'nine wrote:I'm considering going to Rum Diary; any reactions to this one?
You will need the services of a Samoan attorney. I can recommend one if you like.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

:haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:14 am

Trailer for The Pirates! Band of Misfits. From Aardman Animation (Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run). :fsm_yarr:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh, that be lookin' good, me hearty! Oi be wantin' ter see that when it be comin' out. :haha:

The Curse of the Buxom Strumpet - Set in the 18th century, this film is about an infestation of zombies in a village. Starring Sir Ian McKellan, Gillian Anderson, and Dame Judi Dench, this low-budget film is due for release in 2012. The big names/low budget combination could really work, and will offer an alternative to the other period zombie piece due out next year, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Clifford on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Caught a whiff of the wind the other day ... seems that there's a film of Ender's Game in the works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28film%29

I'll go to see it regardless of reviews, being a fan of the book. I am slightly tense on how they're going to manage the child violence however.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors