Food Drive - Million Noodle March

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby beagle on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:54 pm

Who are you giving them to Griffin? Out here in Fen country don't know who would take them (except maybe the vicar next harvest festival). Is giving green noodle vouchers to Oxfam an acceptable substitute? Is there somewhere in central Cambridge that would take them? (Not King's College high table).
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:15 pm

:shock: Here, I can turn them in at the supermarket. Mind you, that can become an issue if you don't have a supermarket.

I'm still going to do a direct-drop at the Interfaith Food Bank if possible, as it's a donation from another faith. Think I should slip Cap's pamphlet in?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Griffin on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:11 pm

beagle wrote:Who are you giving them to Griffin? Out here in Fen country don't know who would take them (except maybe the vicar next harvest festival). Is giving green noodle vouchers to Oxfam an acceptable substitute? Is there somewhere in central Cambridge that would take them? (Not King's College high table).

Yeh, that King's College will take anything. How about I leave them on the bollards so they pop up inside someone's car when all the visitors arrive for Saucemas?
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:52 am

OK, boys and girls, you've got to beat 18,000 noodles! I picked up twenty 900 g packages of spaghetti (plus one for counting purposes).

We're using a spaghetti factor of 1 g / strand; I counted a 900 g bag at 887 strands, which makes anon1mat0's estimate of 500 / lb pretty damned good, as I'm sure pasta density varies a little.

Now, where's that thermometer?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby KC Observer on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:33 pm

All this pasta and no sauce??? What's up with that? That can't be a complete meal! :fsm_worried:
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:49 pm

I was hoping you'd provide some sauce... I wanted to give a good Noodly example to the crew, and make some big numbers (and sauce wasn't on sale this week).

Besides, don't forget about Aglio e Olio, which is a fine dish, especially with a little fresh tomato. Perhaps we can persuade Garlic to donate some garlic...
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Re: Million Noodle March

Postby Duke on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:Sharing the Holy Meal is a Virtue of Pastafarianism. I propose that each Pastafarian donates to their local Food Bank as they can afford in honour of Pastamas*, in the form of pasta and / or sauce.

If we can figure out how many individual spaghetti noodles are in a bag of spaghetti, we can aim for a goal of 1 000 000 noodles!

Please donate what you can for those who must go without pasta, and post here to keep a tally of our contributions in His Noodly Name. I might even be able to talk the Admins into awarding the title of Pasta Philanthropist Extraordinare to the person with the biggest donation, but do it for His Noodlyness, not for the title!

Happy Holiday, Merry Saucemas, and a Happy Noodle Year!

Donations to Date: (need details on g of pasta and mL of sauce eventually, so we can make a grand combined total!)

Doc: 20 Packs of Spaghetti (40 lbs) - 18,000 Noodles!
Alpaca: Noodles (8)
Griffin: Noodles (1); Sauce (2)

Does Ramen count?

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Alpaca on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Ramen totally counts. Totally.

Also, I made up a handy little thermometer scriptlet. Right now it's set up to calculate based on the goal of a million noodles, but if the need comes, I can certainly adapt it to anything else. I could even make it so that the user says how many out of how many, and the graph is generated like that. Note that you have to save the generated image to imageshack or your own server someplace every time you generate something from it, because
Code: Select all
[img]
tags and .php extensions and forms don't play nice.

Now, let's assume a constant noodly count of 900 per box. That would give us a total count of 26100 noodles right now.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Duke on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Sweet! At my neighborhood store, you can buy two 24 packs of ramen for 7 dollars. I am going to rustle 21 bucks together and donate it.

That is 6 boxes, and 144 packets.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Problem is, we're gonna have to use the weight equivalent for ramen, since I have no idea how many noodles are in a pack. That's like 50 to 100 noodles per pack. I got pasta for $1.25 (not the cheapest out there either) per 900 gram pack, which equals up to 18 packs of ramen.

18,000 noodles for $25 Canuck. Does Ramen hold up? It'll be close.

We DO need sauce as well.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby beagle on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote::shock: Here, I can turn them in at the supermarket. Mind you, that can become an issue if you don't have a supermarket.

Big out of town supermarkets yes, food banks no. At least I've never seen one. Our charities seem to prefer to take cash and buy locally. I'll have to rely on an FSM inspired transubstantiation at the destination.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Bravo for them! We should all buy locally where possible. I managed to score the pasta at Calgary Co-op, a locally owned chain.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby DeadPoet on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:40 pm

beagle wrote:Big out of town supermarkets yes, food banks no. At least I've never seen one. Our charities seem to prefer to take cash and buy locally. I'll have to rely on an FSM inspired transubstantiation at the destination.

Same for me...I will probably have to eat my Pasta on my own.
DeadPoet
The Resident Resident

Postby Griffin on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:13 pm

Re. thermometer, I gave two noodles not one. Every little helps.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:19 pm

I was going to ask you what the approximate weight was on the noodles, and the volume on the sauce, so I can compute. I'll update your Noodle number. You mentioned that you were going to add another one.

Ditto for you Alpaca... most packs are around a pound or two, so a ballpark is good enough.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM