Six Degrees of Black Sabbath

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Six Degrees of Black Sabbath

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I found a website that claims to link any musician to any other. I took this as a challenge, and found that you can link Dani Filth, of Cradle of Filth fame, with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Strange but true. It can be broken by looking for a list of Black Metal bands on Wikipedia, then picking two members of the same randomly-picked band, but for better known musicians it works a treat. What are the most obscure connections you can find? Yes, even Napalm Death can be connected to other artists! Here are a couple of funky connections I found:-

Dani Filth to Mozart.
Johnny Rotten to Hayley Westenra.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Re: Six Degrees of Black Sabbath

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:07 pm

It doesn't recognise me! :furious: Imma sack my agent. Oh - wait! He's dead!

Nevertheless, I got Black Sabbath in (according to the six degrees film game rules) five.

I played double bass on the soundtrack album to "Storytelling", written by Mick Cooke.
Mick Cooke is in The Reindeer Section with Gary Lightbody.
Gary Lightbody is in Cake Sale with Nina Persson.
Nina Persson is in The Cardigans.
The Cardigans covered "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath on their album "Life".
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby gronank on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:42 pm

What is Paul Erdös Black sabbath number?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby gronank on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:02 pm

The best I could do was 8:
Brian May did the guitar solo on Black Sabbath's "When Death Calls" from 1989's Headless Cross
Brian May --(Nature 240)-->
T R Hicks --(The Astrophysical Journal 232)-->
J P Phillips --(J. Phys. G 22)-->
K Golec-Biernat --(Acta Phys. Polon. B 22)-->
Th. W. Ruijgrok --(Phys. A 84)-->
C.J. Thompson --(Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 55)-->
Mark Kac --(Amer. J. Math 62)-->
Paul Erdős.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby PKMKII on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm checking every artist to see how many steps between them and Danny Elfman. I've long argued that we should replace Kevin Bacon with Danny Elfman in the Kevin Bacon game.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors