Upcoming Films...

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Upcoming Films...

Postby PKMKII on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:17 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Well, it looks watchable. I don't recognise much of that trailer from the book but I did read it about 10 years ago :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:38 am

I think we should watch it out of sympathy for the Belgians...they don't have many super heroes.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 am

I loved reading TinTin when I was younger. I shall be watching this when it comes out. It doesn't look too bad, and being directed by Spielberg and produced by Jackson, what could possibly go wrong?
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I loved reading TinTin when I was younger. I shall be watching this when it comes out. It doesn't look too bad, and being directed by Spielberg and produced by Jackson, what could possibly go wrong?

That's basically my take on it. Looks cool, cast looks good, I loved reading Tin Tin. We know Jackson is good about adaptations. He was probably in ecstasy, being able to keep in a much higher percentage of stuff from Tin Tin than when he was working on LOTR. :haha:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby gronank on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:03 pm

I thought that trailer looked quite nice, but... is there any chance to see a version where they reduced the size of the noses?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

gronank wrote:I thought that trailer looked quite nice, but... is there any chance to see a version where they reduced the size of the noses?

I wouldn't have thought so. I remember the noses being fairly large in the comics, also.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:58 pm

The Avengers trailer. All-star cast. Written and directed by Joss Whedon.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Julius Aurora on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:11 pm

PKMKII wrote:The Avengers trailer. All-star cast. Written and directed by Joss Whedon.

Hehe I feel all giddy. Like a school kiddledewink at christmas. Can't wait for that to be released.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 pm

That's a serious film with a serious cast and a serious writer/director. Oh my FSM, i've been waiting for this one. Robert Downey Jr's first line in that trailer is superb. Let's hope the rest of the film is as good!

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 am

A few more upcoming films that have peaked my interest:-

The Great Gatsby - Looks like a good cast with a good director. Let's hope Baz Lurhmann's trademark visuals are used in this.
Much Ado About Nothing - Joss Whedon. Nathan Fillion. Alexis Denisof. Need I say more?
The Dark Tower - After all this time. After all the wrangling. It is finally given a green light. There are currently 3 films scheduled, with TV series' inbetween each one. I'm not completely sure of what this is going to be like, but the concept, if kept to, should make it interesting, to say the least. Let's hope it doesn't turn into Duke Nukem Forever.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am

Very interesting to hear about Gatsby. It probably is true that if anyone could do that movie well, it'd be Baz. Also Toby McGuire + Leo DiCaprio should be interesting.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Very interesting to hear about Gatsby. It probably is true that if anyone could do that movie well, it'd be Baz. Also Toby McGuire + Leo DiCaprio should be interesting.

I concur. That particular pairing I have never seen before. They are both very different actors, and seeing as they're going to be interacting quite intensively during the film, it will be interesting to see how their on-screen chemistry is. Quite decent roles for them to play, which I think should play to their respective talents.

Another upcoming film, although it's not even in pre-production yet, is a new adaptation of The Stand by Stephen King. It appears as though it's going to be directed by Ben Affleck, which is an unusual choice to my mind, but one which may bring out his directorial talents. It also looks to be a franchise, which says to me that they're going to fit as much of the 1000+ page book into it as they possibly can. I loved the original 6 hour epic with Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald, so this has a lot to live up to.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I never got the fuss about Leonardo DiCaprio. I vaguely remember him as being quite good in Titanic but frankly you could have had William McGonagall reciting a poem in the middle and it would have been an improvement. Bloody stupid film.

What makes him a decent actor? Personally I'd have to rate Brad Pitt as the best of the current young(ish) actors, I didn't recognise him in Snatch until someone told me who that pikey was :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:11 pm

daftbeaker wrote:What makes him a decent actor? Personally I'd have to rate Brad Pitt as the best of the current young(ish) actors, I didn't recognise him in Snatch until someone told me who that pikey was :haha:

Really? I mean, he was entertaining in Inglourious Basterds, but Dicaprio seems to take the craft much more seriously than Pitt. Besides, Johnny Depp is only a year older than Pitt and I'd rank him much higher than Mr. Jolie.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors