Beer

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Beer

Postby PKMKII on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 am

Roy Hunter wrote:doesn't leave you with the bitter aftertaste you quite often find from wheat beers.

Wheat beers? Bitter aftertaste? ¿que?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 am

PKMKII wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:doesn't leave you with the bitter aftertaste you quite often find from wheat beers.
Wheat beers? Bitter aftertaste? ¿que?
I wouldn't call myself an aficionado by any manner of means, but I have noticed a few wheat beers like Leffe, Erdinger, and another one the name of which I cannot recall right now, tend to leave a bitter aftertaste on my palate that doesn't 'fit' with the rest of the taste of the beer. Not unpleasantly bitter, not sooking a lemon bitter, but just incongruous with the rest of the taste.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 am

Odd, I've never ran into a wheat beer with a bitter aftertaste. Then again, I don't think those brands you named are available over here, so maybe it has to do with the American vs. British markets.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am

Leffe and Erdinger. Mmmm. Those are nice beers. Talking of white beers, I had a little Ciney Kriek Blanche in Belgium once. In a place called Beersel, funnily enough. I can't find it listed online, so it may be a very small brewery, or it may not be made any more. It could also have had its name changed to Ciney Blonde. I don't know. I just remember it being very nice.

Image Image
Franziskaner Weissbier and Hofbräuhaus Munchen from Munich in Germany are another two recommendations, the first being a white beer, the second a normal lager. Nice clean tastes.

In Switzerland I tried a beer called Cardinal Lager. Again it was very nice, and went well with the Ail des Ours Brie I was eating.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby foxdude0486 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Now this is a thread I can enjoy! Having spent more than I'd like to think on beer (Having tried over 150 different ones) I almost consider it a hobby to try new beers. I haven't ventured into the n.a. ones yet though.

One interesting experience was at a local Walgreens here in Florida with a beer called Big Flats 1901. It's only sold in Walgreens as it is made specifically for them and is contracted and actually brewed by Gennessee. It's about $3/6-pack over here making it pretty much the cheapest beer in the local market.

It doesn't really taste that great, but if you're on a budget or love trying new things (even knowing they will be horrible) then I'd suggest giving it a try. I couldn't find what the alcohol content anywhere, but from the buzz given off enough of them I'd say it's more along the lines of lighter beers.
foxdude0486
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Sorry about double-posting, etc...

If you are really interested in beer, then I found a website on ancient history. There were references to Beer on it in antiquity (5000+ years ago), and I followed the links to a history of beer and its mentions in historical documents and archaeology:-

Beer in the Ancient world

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Not unpleasantly bitter, not sooking a lemon bitter, but just incongruous with the rest of the taste.

So when you mean "bitter," you mean a citric tartness like a lemon?

PKMKII

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:33 pm

When I think "bitter" I think dandelions. When I think "sour" I think lemons.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:12 pm

PKMKII wrote:So when you mean "bitter," you mean a citric tartness like a lemon?
I mean like the bitter beery taste you get from a badly pulled pint of Guinness, or if you ever get the opportunity to drink Younger's Scotch Bitter - don't bother, it's disgusting - like that. With some styles of beer you expect that, and it 'fits' the rest of the drink, but it doesn't sit well with the rest of the white beer taste IMHO - like a strawberry milkshake with an aftertaste of coffee: it's not unpleasant; but it's not right.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
PKMKII wrote:So when you mean "bitter," you mean a citric tartness like a lemon?
I mean like the bitter beery taste you get from a badly pulled pint of Guinness, or if you ever get the opportunity to drink Younger's Scotch Bitter - don't bother, it's disgusting - like that. With some styles of beer you expect that, and it 'fits' the rest of the drink, but it doesn't sit well with the rest of the white beer taste IMHO - like a strawberry milkshake with an aftertaste of coffee: it's not unpleasant; but it's not right.

Huh, that really :confused: me. Wheat beers are like, the stuff my girlfriend loves because there's practically no hoppy bitterness to them.

Anyway, I've been reading Michael Jackson's Beer Companion
(No, not that Michael Jackson, this one), and I'm noticing a trend with it. The beer and ale styles that are more popular in the USA, tend to originate in the Germanic, Belgian, and Bavarian traditions. The English styles, on the other hand, not so much.

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Apparently, if it weren't for the prohibition and an influx of German immigrants soon after, beer in the US would be based on British and Dutch styles. I found a LINK for you explaining why (profit and longevity). Enjoy.

Personally, I enjoy the bitter aftertaste you get with some beers, but then i'm English and grew up, so to speak, drinking bitter as well as lager. I agree with Roy on this point; sometimes you don't expect it with some beers, but it's not unwelcome.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am

Ha ha. My uncle, who is a beer enthusiast, received that book when it was new, as a gift. I forget who gave it to him. [/completely irrelevant and uninteresting comment]
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:28 am

Had the Birra DeCicco. The stuff has a good rating on ratebeer and beeradvocate, but I found it dull. Decent ale flavor, strong but not highly bitter hops, and some citrus zest flavor, but it felt one-dimensional. It didn't develop on the tongue the way the other two did.

No more beer in the house right now, need to get more. Going to try and hunt down some Duvel or Rodenbach.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Apparently, if it weren't for the prohibition and an influx of German immigrants soon after, beer in the US would be based on British and Dutch styles. I found a LINK for you explaining why (profit and longevity). Enjoy.

I'm watching the Ken Burns documentary that just came out about prohibition, and apparently nativist xenophobia against the German and Irish immigrants in the late 1800's was a big catalyst for prohibition. It was fear of them, and their suddenly popular pilsners, lagers, whiskys, scotches, that got the prohibition movement going. Plus, there was a lot of propaganda and fearmongering linking "shady" and "untrustworthy" immigrants to the saloons where the alcohol was mostly consumed, culminating in the anti-German fervor of WWI.

Picked up some Duvel, haven't drank it yet. Currently working through a 6-pack of Woodpecker pumpkin apple cider. Pumpkin flavor is subtle, nice flavor, but a little too sweet.

PKMKII

Postby Milo the dog on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 am

Arf!
Arf!
Milo the dog
Cannelloni Cannoneer

PreviousNext

Return to Food