Pirate Radio!

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Pirate Radio!

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:52 pm

It appears we can get the station now! We're ready for the next Pirate Radio!
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Edd on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Seriously? :fsm_pirate: doesn't work, but :fsm_ninja: does?

You remembered it wrong; it's ':fsm_yarr:', not pirate.
:fsm_yarr:
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Ubi: Awesome!

Edd: Well that's just weird. It's in the system but it doesn't show up? is :wink: still somewhere then? :fsm_wink: ?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Julius Aurora on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 am

Just followed the link to see if it would work, as I fully intend to tune in to your next broadcast, and I hear System of a Down, then the Beatles, and some more Beatles and now the Blue Oyster Cult. Fantastic!
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Some friends at the radio station and I are putting together a joint-blog to blag about our shows and music and stuff in general. We're using Blogger though, and my account name there (like everywhere else) is Qwertyuiopasd. The trick is that that doesn't really sound like a moniker one would associate with a pirate radio personality. So I was thinking of changing it to a more piratey name.

But then it occurred to me that a better idea would be to just create a new blogger account with the pirate name attached to it. I'll probably also be co-hosting a show with my friend again this year, and if not I still might want to host a show not about pirate music and not as a pirate (crazy, I know).

But, of course, I'm completely stumped for a good name. Any ideas for a good pirate name that isn't too generic, lame, or already taken? Something musically related, perhaps. Though more general could be good, too, as I might use the name as a default pirate persona on other occasions.

The closest thing I've had was a D&D character who was both a pirate and an Ice witch, named Captain Blank (named after the FFIX character, originally). Not sure it makes sense as a name or is particularly piratey to the wider population, though.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ravi Oli on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:01 am

^What about elevating yourself to the aristocracy... Lord [Something].... Blood, Spyglass, Cutlass, Sword...?
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Perhaps. I was also thinking of using Dread Pirate as a title, like the Dread Pirate Roberts. But of course, I wouldn't want to call myself Roberts, and Westley wouldn't get me very far, either. Not sure any parts of my real name work well there, either.

As for Blood, spyglass, cutlass, generic pirate word/names, they just don't seem to quite fit. But then, maybe I just haven't come across the right one?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:48 pm

um
um
um ye kud B tha dreedid pywit seemim stanes or kownt or bank or sumfin udder din dat
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Some friends at the radio station and I are putting together a joint-blog to blag about our shows and music and stuff in general. We're using Blogger though, and my account name there (like everywhere else) is Qwertyuiopasd. The trick is that that doesn't really sound like a moniker one would associate with a pirate radio personality. So I was thinking of changing it to a more piratey name.

But then it occurred to me that a better idea would be to just create a new blogger account with the pirate name attached to it. I'll probably also be co-hosting a show with my friend again this year, and if not I still might want to host a show not about pirate music and not as a pirate (crazy, I know).

But, of course, I'm completely stumped for a good name. Any ideas for a good pirate name that isn't too generic, lame, or already taken? Something musically related, perhaps. Though more general could be good, too, as I might use the name as a default pirate persona on other occasions.

The closest thing I've had was a D&D character who was both a pirate and an Ice witch, named Captain Blank (named after the FFIX character, originally). Not sure it makes sense as a name or is particularly piratey to the wider population, though.

Maybe you want to fit Captain Christopher Newport in the name somehow?
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 pm

It's a possibility, but our mascot is already Captain Chris(topher Newport), and I emphatically do not want to be confused with him.

Hmmm... Captain Oldport is probably a bit too silly.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

i gunna ep ye unca kwerty

ummm
ye kin b capin smellypantz
ye lik dat wun ? huh huh huh huh huh huh huh ?

um i kom bak wiff moor sujjusins fer ye
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Blackbeard's crew were executed not far from CNU. Blackbeard himself died in the battle in which the crew were captured. Another bit of history you could tie in.

Blackbeard's croo. Blackbeard's Bosun.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:08 pm

ummm ow bowt i kawl yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
um
capin long hare rrr
cuz ye haz long hare

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:51 pm

That actually does have some potential, as my most identifying feature (besides being a pirate) would be the long hair.

But, at least for the radio show, I think I'll just go with Cap'n Shanty, since that's roughly what an internet pirate translator would put for "song " or "music," I'll just refer to all songs as Shanty's and since that's what I'm the captain of, during the radio show, it fits well enough.

Now to just run the name through some focus groups and then register it. :P

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ravi Oli on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I think I'll just go with Cap'n Shanty....

Depends on the genre you play... maybe Cap'n Shandy if you play easy listening 'beer and lemonade' stuff and no ' Arrrrrrr.... rum drinkin' songs'... :haha:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Previous

Return to Pirate Discussion