Earworms!

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Earworms!

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 am

Heartache Avenue by the Maisonettes! Popped into my head this morning and can't get rid of the backing vocals.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ham Nox on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:40 am

I've had "God help the Outcasts" from the hunchback of Notre Dame stuck in my head the last couple of days. Not sure what to think about it, exactly. On the one hand, it's got some really sweet sentiment about asking for the right things in life. On the other hand, it's terribly depressing to realize that if humanity doesn't wake up and get over itself those outcasts are screwed.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

Ham Nox wrote:I've had "God help the Outcasts" from the hunchback of Notre Dame stuck in my head the last couple of days. Not sure what to think about it, exactly. On the one hand, it's got some really sweet sentiment about asking for the right things in life. On the other hand, it's terribly depressing to realize that if humanity doesn't wake up and get over itself those outcasts are screwed.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame? That rings a bell.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Julius Aurora on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 pm

And our next winner of the worst pun competition is Bart. Congratulations.

I ipod played Scarborough Fair on the bus this morning. Now it is in my head.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 pm

worlds away
by strange advance
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 am

Julius Aurora wrote:And our next winner of the worst pun competition is Bart. Congratulations.

Bart's won it the last 3 dozen times in a row :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:54 am

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm

"Straight to Video", by Mindless Self Indulgence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6elRs7F5k

and "May It Be" by Enya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8wqEgFIA8

BOTH RUNNING SIMULTANEOUSLY. On one hand it's kinda fun. Open two windows and play both in synch. Welcome to my world. On the other hand....

gorramit!

I'm only supposed to have 1 channel in my head running jukebox, not 2. I need another thing to think about to shut one down.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Earworm or Symptom? You decide...

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Chuck Berry is duckwalking round in my head, playing the solo from 'No Particular Place To Go'. Every time I shut my eyes, there he is wearing a silver suit, playing a cherry-red Gibson ES-335 Dot, duckwalking. When I have my eyes open, he's riffing, occasionally playing the solo. When he starts singing, when the voices appear in my head, I'm heading straight off to the doctor for a change of medication.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 am

Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go,
yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby.
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 pm

You're banned for the rest of the 1960's... oh, wait, wrong thread for that.

Been listening to a bunch of YouTube stuff, have a lot of Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd floating around the noggin. Here's a good one with dolphins (and cool stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPiVOxIGFBs

That's dolphin hospitality for you :)
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Good news! Chuck Berry has finally buggered off out of my brain.

Bad news. He has been replaced by the bass player from Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm

So I'm driving into Glasgow on Friday afternoon. The traffic is getting heavier and slower, and eventually the motorway stops entirely. I look around at all the other drivers, and then it pops into my head:
Dionne Warwick sang / Burt Bacharach wrote:LA is a great big freeway,
Put a hundred down and buy a car...

And there it has remained ever since. Do I know the way to San Jose? Do I ever.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:24 pm

I like Burt Bacharach, although i'm not sure how much after having one of his songs as an earworm. I've had a few today, including some Apocalyptica and Led Zeppelin. It could have been worse, though. This morning I found that I was Rick Rolling myself. I had to give that up in a hurry... :shocked: :whistle:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors