Weird Foods

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Weird Foods

Postby TwistedSister on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 pm

* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby PKMKII on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 pm

I've never read Garrison Keillor. I just live in a community with a lot of Norwegian Americans, and my girlfriend is such.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Fri May 06, 2011 7:21 am

Our next door neighbour has given us some pigeon eggs!

Scrambled?

Boiled?

Omelette?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 am

Hatched?

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

A pair of pigeons have built a nest on the Lynn train platform. I was watching them. The father kept bringing long, stiff sticks (teriyaki beef skewers, etc) and the mother couldn't work them into the nest. There was a big pile of sticks on the floor under the nest.

They're finally sorted it out, anyway. The pile is gone. I don't know if they cleaned up themselves to avoid detection by predators or something, or if the maintenance people swept them up. Probably the latter.

I'm surprised they let the pigeons stay there though.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby bonsaiherb on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Both my mother and I were good cooks.
That brings me to my Dad’s spectacular contributions.

1. Dirt simple, a hunk of bread heavily slabed with real granulated pork fat “Shmaltz” (lard) and sprinkled with coarse salt. YUM!

2. German kimchi (or Kimchee) of sort that involved Chives and green onions. These were vinegared and set aside for a week or two in the fridge. I think I can replicate this although I would never want to taste it again. Breath killer ultimate!
I would call it Green Onion Kim chee, German style. German Schnittlauch. This is a recipe I could probably duplicate. It uses the milder chives which Schnittlauch means. Usually used as a garnish for many meat dishes, my Dad used it differently. Though I hasten to add, he used green onion tops mostly. This dish was NOT to be shared and I was very thankful for that. Read my Kimchee recipe and leave out the cabbage.

3. The worst I saved for last. It was some sort of Polish jellied pigs feet recipe – known variously as zimne nogi (which literally means “cold legs”), studzienina, zimne stopy (“cold feet”), galareta z nóżek (“jelly legs”) and was an old peasant attempt to make use of any part of the animal.

Call it nose to tail eating. My Dad sure knew how to do that. Jellied pigs feet exist in most Eastern European cuisines and in other parts of the world. I will try to edit both of the above but itt too was put into a sealed glass container and allowed to gel over a few days in the fridge. Totally YUK!

Now we get to the third triage phase.
I must add that at that time in Vancouver we were dirt poor and some of the fish soups we had barely had a skeleton floating in it. Meat of any form was in short supply. My father was also a fairly brutal man and not eating anything put on the table was verboten. I do however remember one exception. I had come home from school and found the closed cook pot simmering. Always curious, I took the top off and found that it contained a BRAIN! – blood oozing between the lobes.

When my father came home I tearfully told him that he could beat me now, but I was NOT going to eat what was being prepared. He took one look and agreed. I forget if we ate Speck sandwiches or what. My mother got to devour the simmered cow brain.[url]Brain fritters anyone?[/url]http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=1324
Brains as described earlier used to be a delicacy but sadly risky due to BSE. This was the food of our peasant ancestors when every bit of the animal carcase was used. They were left with the ‘grotty bits’ and had to improvise and make do while the prime cuts of meat were sold at the market to the rich. If you have the guts visit this site, It will explain my horror> http://greatstuff.hubpages.com/hub/-How-To-Remove-a-Cow-or-a-Sheep-Brain

In Mexico they still use brains or sesos tacos. Sesos is brains in Spanish.

Still can't figure out how to add these smilies! AARGH
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Ignotum on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm

In my opinion the Balut is one of the weidest foods I've ever seen in my life :fsm_float:
Anyway in some sense it's pretty relative considering that different cultures have different customs and what is normal to us can be weird for others. :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash:
Here a pic of the Balut! :moon:
Within lies fact and fancy, truth and metaphor. Discriminate with care
Ignotum
Ziti Zealot

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:56 am

ugh. :barf:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby bonsaiherb on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:36 pm

the Balut is one of the weidest food

What the heck is that. Needs a descriptive, or perhaps not. An oyster mixed in with a blood clot?
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:the Balut is one of the weidest food

What the heck is that. Needs a descriptive, or perhaps not. An oyster mixed in with a blood clot?

Balut. According to the Wikipedia article it's a fertilised egg that's allowed to develop for a couple of weeks, then boiled and eaten.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Previous

Return to Food