PREVIOUS television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Moral Minority on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 am

Cosby isn't as funny as Mark Day.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:28 am

I wish they would air Untamed World again , excellent theme music , great footage of critters from all over . I haven't seen it in ages .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's 'Not only but also'. It had great stuff like the 'Alan a Dale' song. I heard the BBC has lost most of the shows though.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 pm

I also miss Beast Wars. Oh, and MST3K.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:23 am

Here's an odd one I'll admit to. It took 12 years for Ally McBeal to finally hit DVD, which I just noticed it did. I netflixed the first season because I remember liking the little bit I saw of it when it was on.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:43 am

Through a fairly convoluted chain of a cousin, his friends and returning to Australia we recently acquired a huge collection of unwanted DVDs. I started watching the Sopranos, it's much better than I remember.
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:56 am

daftbeaker wrote:Through a fairly convoluted chain of a cousin, his friends and returning to Australia we recently acquired a huge collection of unwanted DVDs. I started watching the Sopranos, it's much better than I remember.

It was an excellent series. The scenes with the analyst were great. That's one of the fascinating things about US TV, everyone has an analyst...even the mafia.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 pm

I just saw the last episode of Lost. It wasn't bad. Obviously it couldn't tie up all the things it started, but it was entertaining and didn't suck.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby PKMKII on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Like Ark, I'm reviewing UFO material. In that I'm watching some 1st season episodes of the X-Files. I have to say, I don't remember the special effects being this hokey on the X-Files. I'm thinking (hoping?) that the later seasons got a bigger budget.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:25 am

Perhaps modern special effects have spoilt you for the older stuff?

Now that I've discovered a channel that seems to be dedicated to old programmes, I've also discovered that they aren't nearly as good as I remembered them as being. :cry:

Except for Fawlty Towers, of course. :haha:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 am

I don't think so. I grew up watching Doctor Who on PBS, and then when I went back years later and watched them on DVD, the special effects looked pretty much the way I remember them. However, I am pretty sure that I wasn't watching the X-Files until about season 3, and it took a couple seasons before it became an "it" show, so it would make sense that the effects got better.

Although you do bring up a good idea for people to post on: shows that you fondly remember, only to rewatch them years later and you realize they suck. For me, that would have to be the Thundercats. As a wee lad, I obsessively watched that show. Then as a teenager, I watched an episode on Cartoon Network, and I was just like, "Was I really so stupid that I found this crap riveting?" By contrast, then and now I still like the original transformers cartoons.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby gronank on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 am

I googled Thundercats. It made me think of this card game
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:58 am

gronank wrote:I googled Thundercats. It made me think of this card game

Life is good when you're a Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirl
:lech:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:54 pm

um
Wed DawarrRFf
dare be a cat an a hollow gam an smelly lisstur
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby daftbeaker on Sun May 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Green Wing. I'd forgotten just how funny it is :haha: Mark Heap is a really talented actor, I didn't connect Statham with the crazy artist from Spaced.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors