Traditional Pastafarian Wedding

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Traditional Pastafarian Wedding

Postby Emma Rose on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am

I was just wondering what a traditional Pastfarian wedding would be like?
Any thoughts?

I need to start planning my wedding hehe :fsm_rock:
Emma Rose
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Traditional Pastafarian Wedding

Postby Edd on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 pm

We were all giving PG advice on his upcoming wedding but I can't seem to find that thread now. Hopefully it's still around and someone will link to it.

Anyway, like all rituals associated with the Church of the FSM, everyone is encouraged to interpret His Noodliness's wishes in his or her own way.

And congratulations!
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Pirate regalia.
A rum fountain.
Much pasta.
You have to write your own vows because, frankly, the FSM is drunk and doesn't care.

"Aye matey, does ye taak this here wench ta be ye awfly wedded wife? And does ye taak that dare pyrat ta be ye awfly weddead 'usband? Ye may snog the grooom."
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Emma Rose wrote:I was just wondering what a traditional Pastfarian wedding would be like?
Any thoughts?
At a rough guess:

Pirates
Wenches
Pasta
Grog
A midgit jumping out of the cake

If you're east of the Atlantic, speak to ET the Extra Terrestrial about a wedding band; if you're west of the Atlantic, speak to me. We've got the world carved up illegal-cartel-stylee.

And congratulations!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
If you're east of the Atlantic, speak to ET the Extra Terrestrial about a wedding band; if you're west of the Atlantic, speak to me. We've got the world carved up illegal-cartel-stylee.

You might want to replace that compass, Roy.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:You might want to replace that compass, Roy.
:furious: Bloody Bart Industries Compass!!! I want my money back!!!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Robbobrob on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 am

Congrats Emma!!

Have you picked out a groom/bride (depending on who you fancy)? LOL....or you just plaaning the wedding first?

I would think that ship themes, ocean themes, "you have decided to weigh anchor together to plunder life of all that is beauiful and loving" or some such garbage talk like that.

The reception should be all about pasta and beer....silly string and having the wedding party introduced to "The Pirate Song" or something like that.

Unless you already have a justice of the peace or minister you like, find a Unitarian Universalist minister...they would be the most open to doing crazy stuff like FSM themed weddings.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby McVenWed on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 am

Emma Rose wrote:I was just wondering what a traditional Pastfarian wedding would be like?
Any thoughts?

I need to start planning my wedding hehe :fsm_rock:

I don’t have the idea of a Traditional Pastafarian Wedding but I am interested to know what it is. I hope someone can also help how it is done so if ever I can continue my plan to ask my girlfriend to marry me I can use it as a wedding theme. It is a unique experience for us I hope it will be a good wedding for us.
McVenWed
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:34 am

The last time I did a wedding ceremony for a couple friends, the whole wedding party was decked out in medieval garb, complete with swords and some armor, and lots of leather.

When I got to the part of asking if any there could show reason why these two should not be joined, I added "but beware, the wedding party is prepared to repel boarders."
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby TruePastafarian on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 am

I found this http://www.pastafarianwedding.com/ and it states that pirate ministers are currently only available in Maryland and Connecticut. I am ordained as a minister through the Universal LIfe Church and I live in Southern CA. I would like to find out how to become ordained as a minister through the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Help my cousin Robbie and his fiance Allen be the first same sex couple to win the Crate and Barrel Ultimate Wedding Contest. A vote for Robbie and Allen is a vote for marriage equality. http://www.LoveAtFirstWink.com
TruePastafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am

Never heard of them, but since we're grassroots or bottom-up organized (we're certainly not top-down, Bobby just says things, he doesn't have any more authority than what we give him), I'm not sure where you would go to get properly "ordained." My guess is that these guys are ULC certified like you, which is how they are able to legally officiate weddings. I'd email them and see how they operate. Who knows, maybe you can be their Southern CA minister?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Arkaeon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 pm

In most jurisdictions, you can officiate at a religious ceremony if you are a clergyperson of a legally filed/recognized religious organization (somewhere). The already available ministers may be able to simply send you a Certificate of Ordination under their own authority and/or filing. When I did my last wedding, my church was filed with the state here, which subsequently expired about the same time that the marriage I performed did, ironically enough. We decided that legal recognition as a religion was, in that case, not worth the few bucks a year filing/retention fee or filling out the annual renewal form. For about a dollar you can be a reverend or equivalent of the Universal Life Church, which is a total hokey-pokey but works, and you don't necessarily have to admit they are your source of "religious authority" on the wedding documents. You are all now Popes of the Erisian/Discordian Church, because I just appointed you as such, which (since you read this) neither requires your consent nor your participation, although I don't know if that church is filed officially anywhere these days. FSM-bless the eternal global-electromagnetic-quantum-matriculation of St. John the Blasphemer, who was here before my time!
If you want to do wedding ceremonies in USA as a Pastafarian, just file your chapter of CotFSM as a religious organization/corporation with your state, and all states pretty much have to respect any marriage you perform, unless they have unresolved sodomy-law precedents that are relevant to that marriage, in which case you'd have to appeal any denial. You'll probably need a president, vice president, and treasurer (looter?) or similar trivial requirements to qualify as such, and a few dollars. Your state cannot really ask questions or pass judgement on whether your theology is "legitimate" enough to be a "real" religion due to the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. They literally cannot judge in any way, unless you include criminal intentions in your charter.
If CotFSM/Pastafarianism is copyrighted or already filed by Bobby in USA, you may have to either get his permission to use the name, or file yourself as a "reformed" version of CotFSM (just claim that the primal sauce contained bleu cheese or something like that) and not infringe on any trademarks he legally holds, although I kinda doubt he'd sue you for using them anyway. Personally, I bet he'd love it.
I think you would have to file your petition for recognition as a religious organization in the state in which you reside legally, but your other officers might be able to be in other states. I'm in Illinois right now, but I'd help as best I can if you really mean to make a go of it. I have a few religious titles already, some recognized, some not. (Ironically, the ones I value most are in fact illegal as hell due to the nature of some of the oaths I took to potentially fulfill my obligations in dire circumstances, but others are still legal, I think.) At any rate, you can probably find a few Pastafarians near enough who would be game to play along. The Open Letter and Loose Canon prove that this is an overtly religious organization, wacky as it may be.
"If any here can show just cause that this marriage should not occur... piss off and have another bowl of fish 'ead stew and a mighty tankard of grogg!"
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby StJason on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Don't forget, by traditon, there are three positions who can conduct a wedding: A priest, a justice of the peace, or a SEA CAPTAIN.

So the captain says "Do ye?" and you say yes, and the rum flows. Simple.
---
Darwin's Purge, verse 39.

You know the thing that I hate about these .sigblocks? Never have a good idea what to put in them.
StJason
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 pm

StJason wrote:Don't forget, by traditon, there are three positions who can conduct a wedding: A priest, a justice of the peace, or a SEA CAPTAIN.

So the captain says "Do ye?" and you say "Aye!", and the rum flows. Simple.

Fixed. :fsm_yarr:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Saucius Maximus on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:37 am

McVenWed wrote:I don’t have the idea of a Traditional Pastafarian Wedding but I am interested to know what it is. I hope someone can also help how it is done so if ever I can continue my plan to ask my girlfriend to marry me I can use it as a wedding theme. It is a unique experience for us I hope it will be a good wedding for us.
Well good luck.
Pirates of course :drinking: and lots of spaghetti.
"Obey thy saucy master!"
Saucius Maximus
Conchigliette Convert

Return to All Things FSM