Earworms!

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Earworms!

Postby Ubi Dubium on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Julius Aurora wrote:Possibly the greatest show ever made. Damn you Fox. :furious:

Agreed.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 am

I'm really hoping the rumor about Nathan Fillion resurrecting the series is more than mere speculation. I can only imagine the fanbase has grown over the years, but I don't know what that would mean for resurrecting the show.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Julius Aurora on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:I'm really hoping the rumor about Nathan Fillion resurrecting the series is more than mere speculation. I can only imagine the fanbase has grown over the years, but I don't know what that would mean for resurrecting the show.

Were pray tell, did you hear such a delicious rumour? Not that I think it would ever happen, and even if it did, the cast would probably be different, and Serenity spoiled the ending anyway.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 am

This show has been "bugging" me for several years, so I'm going to throw in my two bits. Can't resist.
Firefly has become a recurring earworm concept in the sci-fi community, fans and directors/producers alike. I've heard many commentaries on other shows where they extolled the greatness and influence of the Firefly live-action style of shooting and performing, plus the daring themes it took on. I think it would be possible to resurrect Firefly, perhaps in a slightly upscale version of events, making it "Dragonfly" or something like that. Keep the old canon, consider the movie "season 2" and move on in good order:
--Keep the original theme song. It really helps hold the foundation of the show/environment.
--River Tam can take over as pilot. She can adopt some of Wash's cool, dry witticisms (although I'd miss Alan too). It would help keep her psychic powers from becoming overpowering on planetside operations. At the same time, it would be an excuse for the ship to show up at convenient moments during an operation or rescue.
--You could bow to the inevitable space-action a bit by having more ship-to-ship actions or skirmishes, or natural hazards like navigating meteor paths, etc. With the Star Treks, Stargate, and Andromeda off the air, we need a new space adventure with some teeth to it!
--Their notoriety could lead them to bigger contracts in a more dynamic, un-soviet era of the system, perhaps with the Alliance semi-splintered to a looser Confederacy. I think they've earned the right to stop being bugs hiding under a rock all the time. Nathan's Captain Reynolds is evolving perfectly as we've seen him, ready to move up a notch.
--We could lose the obfuscation of the chinese cussing. It was a cute idea and culturally valid to an extent, but it tended to muddle up the dialogue with inside jokes that the vast majority of the audience were left out out of and therefor alienated/evicted. It totally killed some scenes and created missed opportunities for drama/comedy. Dialogue is snappier and more entertaining if you make it in one language/idiom that the whole audience can actually understand.
--Maybe you could get Gina to come back as Zoe. She's just perfect as evolved as well. (Can you get some guest spots out of husband Lawrence, perhaps as a suave trading expert or underground movement leader?)
--The doctor could get them involved in various humanitarian/relief efforts to offset their felonious tendencies. There's a whole Robin Hood angle that could be explored that way, and it would win them allies.
--Jayne Cobb could gain some dimensions of having been part of a 3rd party or underground spy movement. He was clearly pretending to be dumber than he really was at times, getting weird cryptic messages (and hats) from "Mother," so this could be worked up in steps. His wry, self-effacing humor and Adam Baldwin's action/comedy presence would be indispensable.
--The bolder Kaylee as revealed in the movie would be great. She's a force of nature, and Jewel Staite brings a lot of pre-existing goodwill wherever she goes.
--I suspect that Morena Baccarin's exotic Inara could be anything she wanted to be in the future: businesswoman, social leader, romantic interest, contact/face-person, action support, or any combo. You could even have Morena do voiceovers/narration at times to help keep viewers enthralled. I'd be happy to teach her jujitsu to strengthen her close-combat role.
--The ship itself needs to remain a valid, gritty, dynamic character, but it could be upscaled a bit or armed/armored without having to get all glitzy and shallow. I guess I think that's true of the show in general.

Obviously, by getting this far into talking about Firefly, I'm wondering if these posts on it should be moved into their own thread? That show was very much similar in ethic to CotFSM itself. Parallels between Firefly and our other discussions are legion. Anyway, that's my vote.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Julius Aurora wrote:
FaithfulPirate42 wrote:I'm really hoping the rumor about Nathan Fillion resurrecting the series is more than mere speculation. I can only imagine the fanbase has grown over the years, but I don't know what that would mean for resurrecting the show.

Were pray tell, did you hear such a delicious rumour? Not that I think it would ever happen, and even if it did, the cast would probably be different, and Serenity spoiled the ending anyway.

I heard about it here. Apparently, during the filming of an episode of Castle, Nathan Fillion mentioned that if he ever won a $300 million lottery, he would like to buy the rights to Firefly and start it back up. He never said it would actually happen, but it immediately started a huge rumor. As for Serenity's ending, there are always ways around that type of thing. For instance, we don't actually know how much time passed between the end of Firefly and the beginning of Serenity. You can be sure that if I thought of that idea, many others have as well, and they've probably thought up some even better ideas too.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby Julius Aurora on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:
Julius Aurora wrote:

I heard about it here. Apparently, during the filming of an episode of Castle, Nathan Fillion mentioned that if he ever won a $300 million lottery, he would like to buy the rights to Firefly and start it back up. He never said it would actually happen, but it immediately started a huge rumor. As for Serenity's ending, there are always ways around that type of thing. For instance, we don't actually know how much time passed between the end of Firefly and the beginning of Serenity. You can be sure that if I thought of that idea, many others have as well, and they've probably thought up some even better ideas too.

Aha, facebook. The great bringer of gossip. Well as nice as it would be, not really holding my breath for it. There are plenty of other shows to watch after all.

EDIT: Thread derail much. Not that it is unexpected.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 am

As it turns out, the Whedon family announced that they were not involved in the effort, and that was apparently enough to kill it. :cry: Oh well, maybe some other time. After all, Fox has cancelled Family Guy at least twice, and Star Trek returns to tv incredibly frequently, so perhaps there's still hope.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby gronank on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 am

The sailor's alphabet. It is rolling around in my head with no beginning and no end.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 pm

I recently got rid of a mysterious re-infestation of Gimme That Christian Side Hug by foisting it onto two co-workers who have never done anything to deserve it. :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:08 am

I hate this thread...can't we delete it?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

black bart wrote:I hate this thread...can't we delete it?

No :moon:

What you can have is a mashup of The Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up with Enya's Orinoco Flow. It's actually quite good (potentially offensive language though if you couldn't guess by the title).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

I haven't listened to it in months, so I have no idea how it got into my head. I sure as hell didn't hear it on the radio.

Cosmik Debris, Frank Zappa.

The triplet break in 6/8 time is particularly annoying, because it leaves you with 9 beats in each half bar. For normal human drummers with two arms, 9 is not a good number of beats. I can't help unconsciously trying to work out how to play it.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am

pieces o'nine wrote:I recently got rid of a mysterious re-infestation of Gimme That Christian Side Hug by foisting it onto two co-workers who have never done anything to deserve it. :haha:

That was AWFUL. Seriously, it's like Souljah Boy, but dumber. I didn't think that was possible...
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Girlfriend is playing Internet Backgammon. The theme for a successful move is the same three notes and rhythm for the opening to Bizet's "L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2 -- Farandole," and so every few seconds it starts playing in my head.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:13 am

PKMKII wrote:Girlfriend is playing Internet Backgammon. The theme for a successful move is the same three notes and rhythm for the opening to Bizet's "L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2 -- Farandole," and so every few seconds it starts playing in my head.
:grin:
I used to work in a shop that had an electronic beep when the door opened. It played two notes a ninth apart (I think?) that always made me think of the opening of the song 'Brazil'.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors