Whisk(e)y

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am

Arkaeon wrote:...and you haven't had any for 5 weeks because...?

I don't like to drink for six weeks after operations :wink:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:32 am

Completely legitimate reason. Heal up first :)

Fringe benefit of periods of abstinence: your alcohol tolerance tends to fall off, so you can drink less and enjoy the psychological benefits (i.e. relaxation and pain relief) more efficiently. Of course, you have to plan for that or you get a big nasty surprise on your first guzzling. As someone who suffers from fast-escalating tolerance, I find it useful to engage in extended periods of abstinence for that purpose specifically.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am

My colleague has been seeing his doctor because he has High Blood Pressure. They had a chat about alcohol consumption and my pal mentioned he likes a drop of whisky...the doc said that he goes through two bottles of whisky a week!!!!

That's the sort of doctor you want.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Why would I want a doctor who went through my whisky?
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:Why would I want a doctor who went through my whisky?

:stupid:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 pm

A couple bottles a week? That's about 2 proper drinks a day. I'd call that therapeutic.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Glenfiddich is really quite nice. It's much more gentle than Laphroaig but still has some taste and bite. Shame it's normally so expensive, I only buy whisky when it's on sale.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience with Glenlivet? Yay or nay?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Glenlivit is okay. It's like a half-castrated Glenfiddich, taste-wise. Easygoing, I would call it. Soft-ish for a scotch. I haven't had any for years, so I'll take corrections from those who have had it more recently.

BY THE WAY I went ahead and started the "Beer Volcano" thread in "Rant, Rave, and Misbehave" section, where kids will theoretically not be reading it and getting any explosive ideas. I'll put my basic mead procedure in there next. All lovers of the Beer Volcano are welcome to join in on the fun.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Arkaeon wrote:Glenlivit is okay. It's like a half-castrated Glenfiddich, taste-wise. Easygoing, I would call it. Soft-ish for a scotch. I haven't had any for years, so I'll take corrections from those who have had it more recently.

Ah, never mind then. I like my whisky to have quite a bit of bite, I have cider for other situations.

Arkaeon wrote:BY THE WAY I went ahead and started the "Beer Volcano" thread in "Rant, Rave, and Misbehave" section, where kids will theoretically not be reading it and getting any explosive ideas. I'll put my basic mead procedure in there next. All lovers of the Beer Volcano are welcome to join in on the fun.

:drinking:

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Jura is interesting. It's not offensive in any way but I can't seem to think of anything good to say about it. I'm glad I got it relatively cheap but I'd rather save a tenner a bottle and just drink Famous Grouse.

The bottle's nice though :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Mrs. H. likes Jura. Very smooth and mellow. I prefer something a bit more smokey and peaty, although not as bonkers smokey and peaty as some of the big Islays. Look at the map and Islay and Jura are right next door to each other, their geography is similar; yet their whisky styles are completely at odds with each other.

Finished the Christmas Highland Park a wee while back, next up will be something lowland, I think. Maybe a Glengoyne. I used to go and pick magic mushrooms from the field next to the Glengoyne distillery...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby extropalopakettle on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 pm

On my bookshelf right now, some of my favorites:
1) Balvenie Single Malt, Single Barrel, 15 years
2) Glenmorangie Single Malt, 15 years
3) Michter's Single Barrel Straight Rye Whiskey
4) Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
extropalopakettle
Ziti Zealot

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am

I am reaching the end of my Armagnac so it will be Highland Park after that.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am

I was in Sainsbury's on Friday and they were selling 'Highland Park' at a massive £6 off discount...only trouble was they'd sold out! :furious:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

black bart wrote:I was in Sainsbury's on Friday and they were selling 'Highland Park' at a massive £6 off discount...only trouble was they'd sold out! :furious:

Addendum: I rang the store and reserved a bottle of Highland Park at the discount price...just got to remember to go and pick it up. :fsm_rock:
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Food