Proof religion is good for something

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Proof religion is good for something

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:42 pm

I think it might be time to do a comparative experiment - all in the name of science you understand.

Mentos + fructose-containing Coke vs Mentos + sucrose-containing Coke.

In theory the sucrose one should produce a bigger fountain as the fructose suppresses bubble formation.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Except that its possible that neither will make much of a fountain. The Mythbusters did a series of experiments on Mentos, and it's Diet Coke that makes the impressive spray. Plain soda water also did OK. The suger/fructose sodas were apparently too viscous to spray well.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm sorry, ADoS, I shouldn't have made that snappy response to your inquiry. I made an obnoxious post. I get even more bothered by bad industrialized food because of culinary reasons than medical ones, and I took it out on you instead of them. My bad. I've read so many labels on manufactured boxed food, only to be put off by diglycerides and HFCS and various formaldehyde substitutes in recipes left over from the early industrial food period (i.e.1920's-30') that I irrationally feel like everyone should share my disgust of it. As a longtime moody cook, I'm twitchier and more territorial in the kitchen than anywhere else, and it sometimes oozes out with the aromas.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm

No worries, Arkaeon. I was just feeling kind of sensitive for reasons explained in RR&M's Good News Thread, so it probably upset me more than it normally would have when I came back to the forums and found that post.

So peace, and I look forward to reading more of your entertaining stories about your frozen heritage. :grin:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Awh, I just love it when we can all play nice together.......
GROUP HUG!!!!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:34 pm

:stupid: Image
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Pooface :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Arkaeon wrote:formaldehyde substitutes
:haha:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Yah formaldehyde forms were used in milk, pickles, beer, and other food products. Stabler versions/relatives like formalin and ethylene glycol were still being used to "speed age" beer by some big USA beer brands and in some flavor extracts the last time I checked them. Food manufacturers in Asia have been caught using formaldehyde in the last few years. It's a cheap preservative, anti-microbial, and emulsifier that adds a little tanginess to flavor, and just happens to cause cancer, abortion, and respiratory inflammation.
In most cases, it has been replaced by "ingredients" like di- and tri-glycerides, sodium benzoate, sulfites, gluconates, and ascorbic acid. Some have their own problems, and some just look scary.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 am

Ascorbic acid is OK, though, isn't it? I thought it was just vitamin C. :confused:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:33 am

Yah, it's vitamin C, it's great. I just used the "chemical" name for it so I could have a "just looks scary" example.

It has even been used, apparently safely, in high enough doses to alter blood pH enough to improve viral resistance... like 100 times or more the US "recommended" amount required for nutrition, daily. Of course, enough of any such chemical will screw up your biochemistry and stress out your kidneys, eventually, but you'll never eat anywhere near enough by foods to get close to that.

People and chimpanzees do have the gene for making our own vitamin C internally, but due to a genetic error in our common ancestor, that gene is damaged and doesn't work, so we have to eat foods that have it natively. Some arctic people (no orange trees up there) traditionally got it from harvesting floating kelp bulbs. More weird trivia!
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:48 am

Like Dihydrogen Oxide and Sodium Chloride and C2H5OH? All of which are deadly in large quantities?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am

Precisely, although you could eat/drink enough of any of those 3 to kill yourself.

When I was working with the criminally insane, we had a few compulsives or schizophrenics who were over-hydraters. We had to measure their water intake and restrict them from faucets and drinking fountains or they would literally drink themselves to death by diluting their sodium/potassium levels until their nerves quit working. By acclimation, their body had learned to run on such low levels of minerals that most people would be in a coma.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 am

Wow. I know anything will kill you if you ingest enough, but I had no idea some people compulsively drank that much water. How did they have enough time for anything else in the day? On a side note, you can drink enough water that it messes with your head and makes you feel drunk. Apparently, coming down from it is easy enough, you just drink a pop (soda/coke/carbonated beverage/whatever other wrong names you people might have for it). It seems chemistry and biology actually can be fun. On occasion. Oooh, DB, you should teach about that! Forget the periodic table and other such useless trivia, get your students drunk on water!
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:Wow. I know anything will kill you if you ingest enough, but I had no idea some people compulsively drank that much water. How did they have enough time for anything else in the day? On a side note, you can drink enough water that it messes with your head and makes you feel drunk. Apparently, coming down from it is easy enough, you just drink a pop (soda/coke/carbonated beverage/whatever other wrong names you people might have for it). It seems chemistry and biology actually can be fun. On occasion. Oooh, DB, you should teach about that! Forget the periodic table and other such boring and useless trivia, get your students drunk on water!

Gah, stupid interwebs and confounding computer! Quit conspiring against me!
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

PreviousNext

Return to Food