offended by the term 'Wench'

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: offended by the term 'Wench'

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

Exactly! Ha, I actually had to look that up on the wikipedias, 'cause I was like "what's so bad about scunt?" :lol:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby VinZ on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:29 pm

So 'Piresse' as an alternative would not be acceptable, since it is not mentioned in Scipture, right?
VinZ
Ziti Zealot

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Which is why the idea of auto-censoring certain words seems silly to me, but that's a whole other topic...
You have no idea how much trouble automatic content control causes for people who live or work in Scunthorpe...

I didn't realise this until it was pointed out to me but the village I used to live in has a similar problem. Lightwater looks so nice until it's pointed out :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby gronank on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:35 pm

VinZ wrote:So 'Piresse' as an alternative would not be acceptable, since it is not mentioned in Scipture, right?

Not because it is not mentioned in Scripture as much as it is not a word (I know, I googled it). But we have flimsy moral standards so we don't care.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby DavidH on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Horza wrote:Surely the etymology, no matter how suspect, isn't what makes it offensive but rather the common use and intent? I can't recall the last time I heard someone denigrating women by calling them wenches.

Quite right, but etymology is fun! I keep trying to get the message across: study historical linguistics and learn all about rude words! :grin:

Bet you didn't know that the bird called a white-ear was originally 'white-arse', which describes it. The name later got gradually modified.

Here's another one: the word shit is closely related to shoot, shed and sheath.

Hours of scatalogical humour in the privacy of your own home, using just the Oxford English Dictionary and a knowledge of Grimm's Law.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:58 pm

DavidH wrote:Hours of scatalogical humour in the privacy of your own home, using just the Oxford English Dictionary and a knowledge of Grimm's Law.

If you haven't read Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson I'd recommend it.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm

VinZ wrote:So 'Piresse' as an alternative would not be acceptable, since it is not mentioned in Scipture, right?

This may be true, but not without loopholes. The Loose canon is, of course, scripture. But we also write-*ahem* translate and compile ancient scrolls. So perhaps you will "discover" something on the subject of wenches and the word "piresse" in some ancient scroll, and we'll include it in the 2nd edition of the Loose Canon. I mean, anything could happen.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Or 'Piratrix' :fsm_yarr:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 am

Since slang and nicknames often turns technical meanings on their head, applying "wench" to an adult woman (in an affectionate way or self-attributed) suggests she has the "energy level and attractiveness" of a vivacious young woman.

Of course, if someone will ignore the obvious colloquial usage of a word and prefers a 700-year etymology to order to find a reason to be offended, they're going to be an annoyance on all accounts anyway. The whole "wench" thing is clearly a party-slang for the tongue-in-check romanticized pirate re-enactment faction of CotFSM, not used in serious discussion. I'm going to assume the original inquirer didn't understand how that worked, seeing as many "alternative" churches are as full of self-important hysteria as the mainstream ones. If she's really that far gone to be offended, I'll do my best to comply. If they turn out to have no sense of humor in general, I'll taunt them mercilessly.

Reading a few posts by Nef Yoo Blackbeard or Calico Jack should give all the frame of reference anyone needs to get the spirit of the place.

We could have had a lot more fun with this thread if it were in RR&M.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby DavidH on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 am

Arkaeon wrote:Of course, if someone will ignore the obvious colloquial usage of a word and prefers a 700-year etymology to order to find a reason to be offended, they're going to be an annoyance on all accounts anyway

Whoa there, you're well off the mark. I don't object to the word at all, and if I did, as a trained linguistic historian I know much better than to object to a word because of older meanings. All I did was to quote the etymology - maybe irrelevantly, but that's the way my mind works. Then I laughingly pointed out to Bart that the derivation I quoted ties it to a Primitive Germanic root which I have always considered to be the origin of wank, although most authorities state that the etymology of wank is unknown.

And BTW the derivation quoted also ties in to wink, if that pleases anyone better.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:49 am

DavidH wrote:
Arkaeon wrote:Of course, if someone will ignore the obvious colloquial usage of a word and prefers a 700-year etymology to order to find a reason to be offended, they're going to be an annoyance on all accounts anyway

Whoa there, you're well off the mark. I don't object to the word at all, and if I did, as a trained linguistic historian I know much better than to object to a word because of older meanings. All I did was to quote the etymology - maybe irrelevantly, but that's the way my mind works. Then I laughingly pointed out to Bart that the derivation I quoted ties it to a Primitive Germanic root which I have always considered to be the origin of wank, although most authorities state that the etymology of wank is unknown.

EDIT: Damn! Another double post. Sorry, folks.
Not an echo, Tig, just my senile fumbling.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 am

Is there an echo in here? :confused:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 am

Is there an echo in here? :confused:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:22 am

Um, DavidH, no offense, but I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about a theoretical non-specific prospective member. Your etymology was fun and drew out a couple good jokes (dare I say "gags"?). You don't strike me as a "she" in any case. I read the part where YOU weren't offended by the "wench" slang already. I do actually read these threads before posting. I read the entire Spam War before posting in it, which took 9 hours. How nutty is that?
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby DavidH on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 am

OK, sorry! :blush: Shake!

I admit that my fascination with etymology has always led to my boring the pants off everybody by dragging in derivations here, there and everywhere. So I'll do a bit more now. :scientist:

I've found a few more on the same Primitive Germanic root: wind, went (originally past tense of wend, causative of wind), also winch. Also, that Germanic branch springs off a much earlier root that also gives things like Latin ventus, "wind"! I'd not considered before that wench is one small branch of one of those ancient, spreading trees that go back to Primitive Indo-European in the Stone Age. A noble word, one to be proud of.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM