Pirate Radio!

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Pirate Radio!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:35 pm

It will be this Friday! The 28th! Save the date. I'm probably going to basically follow the same playlist from last time with a few minor changes, as I still feel the campus needs an "introduction" to the show. Let me know if you still remember it enough to feel that that would be too much of a repeat. I figure it's been long enough though, people probably won't be too annoyed.

Some other ideas for show themes are:

1. more sea chanty/folk oriented
2. more metal/hard rock oriented
3. irish/scottish/celtic oriented
4. drinking/partying theme (not so sure about this one. :moon: )
5. Sea monster songs?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 am

I'd love to listen in - but I have no idea how US times equate to UTC. Could you please put in a time in UTC format, so that us furriners get a chance to listen? Pretty please? :love:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 am

How bout that, I never converted it. It's 6PM EST, so that's 11PM GMT/UTC/Zulu/whatever (assuming I'm confused about that nomenclature)

So that's like 10am your time?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:30 am

Yep, 10am on Saturday 29th!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 am

If only we'd listened to the flat earthers we wouldn't need to worry about time zones :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

Does china still do (or did it ever do) the whole "one country, one timezone" thing?

I mean, if everyone went by GMT, and there weren't actual timezones, just one date/time always, we'd still all get along fine, but AM and PM would have different meanings, or no meanings, in different places. The current system isn't to shabby, though. Just have to do some basic addition.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Some other ideas for show themes are:

1. more sea chanty/folk oriented
2. more metal/hard rock oriented
3. irish/scottish/celtic oriented
4. drinking/partying theme (not so sure about this one. :moon: )
5. Sea monster songs?

I'll put in a request for less metal. I understand that you have to have some, since you have an audience of college students, but if you must include metal, can you use metal music that also has bagpipes?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:19 am

I'll see what I can do. I'll also be letting you guys know the themes ahead of time, and I won't be offended if you don't tune into the metal show or anything.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:23 pm

I posted this on facebook but it's probably worth stating here: I'm not going to be abe to do the show tomorow due to a conflict. I'll be back next week though, with what will most likely be a more rock/metal oriented show. Yes there will be bagpipes.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:52 am

Long ago NPR featured an extended, rambling anecdote about someone who wanted to acquire and learn to play bagpipes. This enterprise was apparently fraught with peril, unpleasant sounds, and unexpected amounts of spit coming out of unexpected pipe orifices, and he ultimately found an electronic bagpipes with which he was very happy. The segment ended with him producing a very soulful Hava Nagila. It was *FANTASTIC*!
:cool:

hmmmmm, I see that YouTube has some Hava options with conventional pipes, but this one sounds closest to what I heard that day.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:.... Yes there will be bagpipes.

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll...
:fsm_rock:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 am

Ravi Oli wrote:
Qwertyuiopasd wrote:.... Yes there will be bagpipes.

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll...
:fsm_rock:
*Like*

Oh damn, I'm not on Facebook.

The wedding band I play in covers that, but we use a trombone instead of pipes. You'd be surprised how many Scots hate the pipes.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:34 pm

I lied again. Computer probably isn't coming this week after all, so I can't prepare my playlist, and there's an opportunity to go out of town this weekend too, so I'm going to take that up. So, no pirate radio this week either. Argh.

I'm also thinking of changing the time of the show, either to something earlier on Fridays, or a different day entirely, so I don't have to cancel the show if I make a weekend trip. Thoughts?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm on the air in an hour! It occurs to me only now that I should've posted here earlier, but hey. This weeks playlist is more metal oriented, so I won't feel hurt if you don't feel like tuning in. But, if you're up for some piratical metal, tune in at 6 pm EST! Which is what, 11pm GMT and 11am Aussie time?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Just finished up the playlist for todays show. Again, it's at 6pm EST, which means two hours from now! We've updated the server, so you will probably have to re-visit HERE to download the new .pls file/link to the new server. Also, it appears if you open that page it will just start streaming the station. So that's pretty rad, if you don't want to bother with downloading anything. :fsm_pirate:

Seriously? :fsm_pirate: doesn't work, but :fsm_ninja: does?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Pirate Discussion