Upcoming Films...

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Upcoming Films...

Postby PKMKII on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:58 pm

It's a bit up in the air, whether or not we're going to see it. The fact that the same people behind the lackluster, stale Half-Blood Prince are doing this one does not bode well.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 pm

From the clips I've seen, it's very faithful to the books, which bodes very well indeed. We'll probably go over thankgiving weekend sometime.

I didn't hate 6. I think they wound up condensing it too much, but it certainly had its moments.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:31 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I didn't hate 6. I think they wound up condensing it too much, but it certainly had its moments.

From what I remember, 6 was good in some ways, and very bad in others. I liked how they handled the relationship aspects, and little things like every single hallway shot involving some couple off snogging. However, the entire Half-Blood prince plot, which I would expect to be the most important part, was so completely botched.

SPOILER: Snapes all like: I'm the Half-Blood Prince and I'm all like "Why do I care?"
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby PKMKII on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Well, I've got to go change pants now. I'm glad Geoffrey Rush is in it, I think I might prefer Barbossa to Cap'n Jack as a pirate in general anyhow.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Well, I've got to go change pants now. I'm glad Geoffrey Rush is in it, I think I might prefer Barbossa to Cap'n Jack as a pirate in general anyhow.

Definitely. That's why I didn't like the 2nd one very much.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Rainswept on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:51 pm

They are remaking Buffy the Vampire Slayer... WITHOUT JOSS WHEDON! WTFSM??
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Bug on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Rainswept wrote:They are remaking Buffy the Vampire Slayer... WITHOUT JOSS WHEDON! WTFSM??

Rumor has it that they have bought the rights to the original movie and therefore no one from the series is involved at all. They are just trying to make another vampire movie. :annoyed:
Error: Clever pun and random quote not found
Bug
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 pm

They're trying to make a film version of Captain Canuck. Did he get his superpowers from eating a radioactive Tim Hortons' donut? Is his sidekick a loon or a beaver? Does he save the Toronto Maple Leafs from another pathetic season?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Atlas Shrugged trailer is out. Okay, I get that the original novel dealt with a railroad company, but couldn't they have updated it to something more modern? Especially seeing as how the only ones who make any noise about high-speed rail these days are lefties.

PKMKII

Postby ArchAngelHairMichael on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:32 am

The Sunset Limited.

An eloquent, enlightening, and entertaining philosophical debate between two very different men wrestling with similar personal demons. Samuel Jackson is portrayed as a thoughtful and intelligent blue-collar Christian man trying to save the life of a hopeless stranger. Tommy Lee Jones is the cynical, atheist professor that has lost (or never had) any 'faith' in mankind. It's a remarkable illustration of the reflective nature of men and I urge anyone regardless of belief to enjoy this fantastic story. Unlike many plays or films, it is solely dialogue driven while the compound arguments presented never resort to any tired cliches from either viewpoint. I only wish that more conversations between the godly and the godless could mimic this one; it would result in tangible progress in our coexistence. Neither review from the Chicago-Tribune or the New York Times were a proper diagnostic on the story itself, both sought only to speculate on what they believed to be 'traditional' theater or what 'proper genre' it fit in.

I promise you, whether you like the film or not, it is not a waste of your time. I just finished watching it (and ordering the book) on HBO so I'm not sure where to direct you to it but I have 'faith' that you are resourceful enough to find it.

Go with the Almoisty One in Caperly Noodliness,
Michael
ArchAngelHairMichael
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm

PKMKII wrote:Atlas Shrugged trailer is out. Okay, I get that the original novel dealt with a railroad company, but couldn't they have updated it to something more modern? Especially seeing as how the only ones who make any noise about high-speed rail these days are lefties.

I'm very much waitandseeing this. Trailer does not look bad tho.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby PKMKII on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Extended trailer for Kevin Smith's Red State.

Want.

PKMKII

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:32 am

Oh yeah. I heard about that one, it sounded pretty sweet. Now I'm definitely seeing it.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors