Gluten Free Pasta(farians)

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Gluten Free Pasta(farians)

Postby sjr on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 am

To all others touched by HNA greetings,

I have a troubling question which I'd like to get some thoughts on from the believers here. My long-suffering better half is beginning to investigate the Starchiest of All Faiths, after years of inspired and subtle arguments from me. (I'm sure it's that and not just that I've worn her down.) But she is gluten-free, and hesitates to embrace the Path of the Noodle because of this. I assured her that The Divine Noodliness would not make discriminate against believers just because of the flour from which their noodles are made, and turned to this forum for help. But to my alarm, when I searched I find no guidance.

So I look to you for help. Can we confirm that the truth is in the pasta and not in the flour? I believe firmly that her piratical nature means she is a perfect candidate for CFSM, and would welcome the thoughts and wisdom of those who follow the Truest of Carbs.

Ramen,

sjr
sjr
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Gluten Free Pasta(farians)

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:55 am

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has the loosest moral standards of any major religion. In addition, when it comes to Pasta, we prefer form over substance.

So, your better half should eat the pasta that half prefers/requires without concern about any religious, cosmic, or social consequences. Bon appetit!
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

There are some theologians that propose (almost paradoxically) that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not, in it's truest form, any sort of Spaghetti, but that this is simply it's chosen form to appear to us in revelation. The thought process is believed to go something like this: "Hmm, people know food is good, they like it, I want people to think I'm good and like me, so I'll appear as food. I like spaghetti and pasta, so I think I'll use that."

So as long as you eat something, you're good. :wink:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:45 pm

:stupid:

Welcome. I'm a gluten-intolerant pastafarian. I make gluten-free sauces (easy) and boil two lots of pasta to go with it. Rice/corn noodles/pasta for me in one pan, the boring 'normal' stuff for everyone else in another. :whistle:

No problem! :bounce:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby sjr on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:There are some theologians that propose (almost paradoxically) that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not, in it's truest form, any sort of Spaghetti, but that this is simply it's chosen form to appear to us in revelation.

Sort of, um..."transunsubstantiation", so to speak? :wink:
sjr
Conchigliette Convert

Postby sjr on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote::stupid:

Welcome. I'm a gluten-intolerant pastafarian. I make gluten-free sauces (easy) and boil two lots of pasta to go with it. Rice/corn noodles/pasta for me in one pan, the boring 'normal' stuff for everyone else in another. :whistle:

No problem! :bounce:

Two cheers! I thought this would be an inclusive bunch. :)

I've pretty much become accustomed to rice pasta, but good on you for doing two pots. We haven't done a lot with corn noodles. The one area I'd draw the line at was the experience with quinoa pasta -- definitely sent by the Dark Forces. When boiled, it turned the water a pretty unappetizing shade of yellow, I'd guess from the starch in the pasta, and the taste was unappealing. (Odd, since quinoa in other dishes isn't bad.)

Muchas gracias all, and thanks for the welcome!
sjr
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am

i've seen gluten-free flour and various other such products in local grocery stores here. Maybe worth exploring if you insist on trying to celebrate your faith with noodles.

As someone who is metabolically intolerant of much complex carbs in my diet, I would suggest considering that you, too, may do well to concentrate on feasts of faith that more prominantly feature the Meatball aspect of FSM. As an enthusiastic promoter of meatball operations in general, I encourage more to delve deeply into the mysteries of high-protein enlightenment.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:43 am

In that, Arkaeon, you differ from me. High meat content in my diet has a disastrous affect on my partly paralysed colon. :bummer:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 am

Arkaeon wrote:As someone who is metabolically intolerant of much complex carbs in my diet, I would suggest considering that you, too, may do well to concentrate on feasts of faith that more prominantly feature the Meatball aspect of FSM. As an enthusiastic promoter of meatball operations in general, I encourage more to delve deeply into the mysteries of high-protein enlightenment.

Or double the grog ration :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby sjr on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

PKMKII wrote:Problem solved

We fed my brother-in-law, who's a bit of an over top carnivore, an egg-style tofu scramble once at a family breakfast. Didn't tell him what it was while he was inhaling the first two plates of it, dropped the bomb on the third plate. He turned pale, put it down, and didn't speak to us for the rest of breakfast. :evilgrin:

Funny that he was good with it, as long as he didn't know what it was...
sjr
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:35 am

That tofu noodle stuff made a really curious claim in the ad to be "guilt free," which seems pretty relative (or has guilt been biochemically analyzed and quantified now?).

As a semi-arctic heavy carnivore, I think I might feel some guilt about eating a species into extinction, unless I was really hungry. Anything else is fair game if it tastes good. Problems with the food supply are mostly the overabundance of people eating it. 7 Billion?!?! WTF.

"Guilty" food? What will they think up next?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Anyone who says that there are too many people usually seems to have the attitude that it is the rest of the population that is the problem, not them personally. WTF? :lol:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Well, generally the people who complain about there being too many people aren't also advocating any kind of mass termination of already living individuals. At least, that's been my experience. The more reasonable solution is making less people, which makes the only "hypocritical" people who complain about the world overpopulation problem the ones who have children (or have donated sperm or otherwise helped incur pregnancies).
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

No, it's not nice to promote the idea of genocide as a form of ecological rebalancing. I do think it's reasonable to run negative population growth rates for a few generations, at least until we reach some technology/population equilibrium that make our society 100% sustainable and very low impact. I'm also concerned about the emergence of some fertility-cult / fundamentalists / rabid-vegetarians gaining enough votes to make it illegal for me to eat meat. Some of these americans are just nutty enough to try. Puritans love a ban, any ban.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Next

Return to All Things FSM