Whisk(e)y

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
PKMKII wrote:That's an argument for not taking it easy.
Yes, but not the sort of argument that convinces my wife. Fuck rationality, I need spousal approval ratings these days.

PKMKII wrote:And that's an argument for wearing the dalek helmet while you do so.
The Dalek helmet was my 10 year-old nephew's. He got it for his 7th birthday. It has long since gone the way of all toys. Maybe I'll have to buy one on eBay...

The Highland Park is lovely. I swapped a few PMs with Black Bart (I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this) about a choice of whisky for Monkey, and I talked him into getting a Highland Park. It would seem I talked myself into it too. I hope he is as happy with my choice as I am...

I've only just spotted this thread...congrats, what a great subject. I still haven't got round to trying Highland Park but I will.

There is a Welsh Whisky of some merit now. I passed the Penderyn distillery quite recently. They are calling it a tourist attraction but it is only a shed! it seems rather expensive to me.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 am

Single malts are made from the grain of one place/farm/field/crop, depending on how strict you want to take it. i.e. only 1 batch of malted barley. These tend to be pretty much vintaged like wines, i.e. how good was the crop that year? These also tend to be more local and family based, for good or ill.

Blended is made from barley from any number of different sources. Ideally, the maker knows the qualities of the various grains and mixes them just as needed to get the best combined flavor. In the case of cheap ones, they may just be buying grain off the wholesale market without much care. Cheap blends are the worst for this reason.

Whisk(e)y was beer once, before they started boiling it.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 am

Arkaeon wrote:Blended is made from barley from any number of different sources. Ideally, the maker knows the qualities of the various grains and mixes them just as needed to get the best combined flavor. In the case of cheap ones, they may just be buying grain off the wholesale market without much care. Cheap blends are the worst for this reason.

That's why I like the aforementioned Bailey Jarvey Nichol blend. They know what they're doing.

The good thing about blends is that they tend to be consistent. Single malts vary depending on year etc, so you can have good years and bad years where as blends, they pick from different sources to get the same consistent taste.

But yes - cheap blends where they don't give a sh*t are the absolute worst. Good only for mixing with hot milk, honey and cinnamon for an effective insomnia/ cold cure

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby black bart on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 am

Nearly the weekend...time for a wee dram!

Oh wait a minute, I had a Laphroaig on Tuesday served to me by a delightful young bar maid who asked me if I wanted ice :furious:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 am

So far my favorite whiskies are by Glenmorangie of Tain, Scotland, particularly their "special cask" variety aged in formerly madeira barrels.

I haven't found a single whiskey of any variety or price made in North America that I would drink on purpose, except as a mixer with fruit punch or something. Prohibition seems to have turned that industry over to bootlegging hacks, and it has never recovered. Actually, every hard liquor from North America seems inferior. Can't think of any exceptions.

The Irish make pleasant enough distillations, but they all seem softer flavored than I'd prefer. I can get rum for that.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:12 am

Arkaeon wrote:So far my favorite whiskies are by Glenmorangie of Tain, Scotland, particularly their "special cask" variety aged in formerly madeira barrels.

I haven't found a single whiskey of any variety or price made in North America that I would drink on purpose, except as a mixer with fruit punch or something. Prohibition seems to have turned that industry over to bootlegging hacks, and it has never recovered. Actually, every hard liquor from North America seems inferior. Can't think of any exceptions.

The Irish make pleasant enough distillations, but they all seem softer flavored than I'd prefer. I can get rum for that.
Scots put great value in the types of barrel that are used to mature the whisky. As I understand it, American law prohibits the re-use of barrels for Bourbon? They use new barrels every time. I think that is why American whisk(e)y loses some of the subtlety it could otherwisw pick up in the maturing process.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 am

Interesting point there. Maybe that's why they all taste like someone dropped pine shavings in the cask. Green wood. What could the government be afraid of? That some food poisoning will spread through the booze? It's flammable, for FSM sake, I think it will stay sanitary. Oh, well, that's typical of USA laws.

A similar law keeps American cheeses inferior to their European counterparts. All milk used in USA cheese has to be pasteurized, which has a souring/bittering effect on the cheese. It also has a more grainy texture, reduced creaminess. Raw milk is far better. I'm thinking of joining the ranks of home cheese makers if I can get a reliable source of true raw whole milk and etc.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am

What about Bison milk? If there are any Bison left.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 am

There are tons of bison left. After nearly going extinct, they were rebred from remaining wild stocks and now are even ranched for meat (often hybrids with domestic cows for meat). Actual bison are into several hundred thousand again.

One of the more important "sanctuaries" where bison were rebred and restocked was the Fermilab nuclear accelerator grounds near Batavia, Illinois (which at one point I think had the biggest herd in the world). There was this empty field above the collider ring, so some well-to-do fellow ran a herd program there.

Bison meat is a bit gamier than beef, but less than most deer, and typically leaner/firmer. Bison require less feed per pound of meat produced than cows, but it's a bit tough, so usually sold ground or mixed with beef hamburger grind.

Wild populations are expanding again as well (many re=seeded from protected stocks like the Fermilab herd) since there are few predators that can challenge them.

Beer for my bison; whisky for my men!
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

I had bisonburgers several times when I was in Boulder CO. Very nice, much tastier and less fatty than beef, and cheaper than venison.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 am

I was on the Laphroaig again last night...mouth like the inside of an Arab's shoe.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:03 am

I found Laphroaig to be an acquired taste (which I didn't). It's one of those offerings like the better Belgian ales and IPA's where I thought, "Hey, that's a really great example of its kind. Those guys really know what they're doing. It's too bad I just don't like it."

That's why there are different varieties for different tastes, eh?
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

There's still about 200ml left in the bottle on my desk that's been tempting me for the last five weeks :shrug:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 am

...and you haven't had any for 5 weeks because...?

You don't have to drink it all in one session, eh? Good whisky is like fine cigars, etc, best enjoyed at a slow pace and limited amounts at a time. Savor it drop by drop, when you haven't had anything else to drink that would numb your taste buds.

In my opinion, if you are throwing back fast shots of whisky to get drunk, then either you and/or the guy who made it don't know what you're doing. It's a waste of the good stuff, and a last resort for disposing of the bad.

Or are you just on a diet regime or something? I am, so no booze for me until I burn off the stuff I drank in the past.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:28 am

I have but one (generous) glass left in my whisky bottle...perhaps I'll get a new one for valentines day... :zen:
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Food