How do we Pastafarians feel about the demotion of Pluto?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: How do we Pastafarians feel about the demotion of Pluto?

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm just pleased that the solar system once again matches Gustav Holst's "The Planets" suite, as it should be. Now we don't need those crappy, third-party extensions. :-P
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby CommanderTako on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 am

c_felix wrote:Does anyone have any idea where we stand on this?

Is Pluto a planet any more to us?

Pluto always has been and always shall be a moon.

Just because the FSM past out from intoxication before finishing the creation of the planet Pluto is the moon of, and let the proto-planet roll into Earth, creating Earth's moon; that doesn't mean Pluto isn't a moon.
My vains run red with the Divine Marinara for I am The Bolvine of Truthiness.
Godzilla ain't got nothing on me! With the 4 stomachs in my gut, I got more Truthiness in any one of my 8 pinkies than he has in his entire body!
CommanderTako
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:34 am

I think the distinction that the astronomers settled on was in defining "cleared the neighborhood."
They decided that "cleared the neighborhood" doesn't mean that nothing else is in their orbit, but that anything of significant size that does inhabit that region long term is either an orbiting moon of the planet or has been locked into its course by the gravity of that planet. Also, Jupiter is so bloody huge that it actually pulls stuff into its neighborhood, so it will never be completely clear, because it is self-cluttering. But considering that it probably "cleared" whole planets like Uranus from its "neighborhood" and has Saturn in 5:2 orbital resonance lock, no one argues against its qualifications as a planet.

Ceres is smaller than Alaska and has a surface gravity of less than 3% of Earth's. If you tried to run on it, you'd keep accidentally pushing yourself into orbit. That's just not a planet. Being the biggest of a group of things that aren't planets doesn't make it a planet. It was only ever considered a planet because they hadn't found all those bazillions of other relatively little things out there.

Eris and Pluto are in the same neighborhood, with umpty-doodle thousands of other things, and none of them have gravitic "clear" of the region. They have 6-8% of earth's gravity, so you might actually need a Wile E. Coyote jetpack to get into orbit, but not much more.

From the time I spent reading about the debates on this issue, it seemed that, in the end, the astronomical societies decided to call them all "dwarf planets" so the general lay population could think of them any way they wanted to. The "dwarf planet" designation has little or no meaning, scientifically, that I could find. It was just a way to end the argument and get back to work.

New trick for remember the (dwarfs and) Planets in order?:
"Man Very Early Made ceramic Jars, Some Uses Never passed extinct

At any rate, I'd suggest that Pastafarians not try to interfere with scientific naming conventions that are really only of use to the scientists who make them. A dwarf planet, by any other name, still... will put a great big frakking dent in your space cruiser if you run into one.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks for the info, Ark - but why would I want a space cruiser? At sub-light speeds it would be even more boring to travel in space than driving between Australian cities; and that is boooooooring. :sleep:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby DavidH on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:59 am

Us've got enough trouble agreeing on the name of the road between here and Burghill. As long as these yer planets don't frighten the sheep, us don't care a damn what they calls un.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:32 am

Tig, I think one of the most fun surveys on that "Why would I want a space cruiser?" idea is:

"Jose Jimenez The Astronaut, parts 1 & 2" (Bill Dana, 1960). It searches on youtube for the audio [8min:19sec]
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby gronank on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Shouldn't we, as Pastafarians, be perfectly content with that Pluto is a midgit planet?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 pm

:stupid: :lol: Perfect!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Ravi Oli on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:09 am

What is this planet debate thingy about when everyone knows Pluto is a dog!?

Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 am

The Wiki article suggests that Pluto the dog was named after Pluto the celestial body. The cartoon character was introduced shortly after the announcement of the discovery of the planetoid, so the two are linked, although the reasons why Walt chose this name are known only to the deceased egomaniac's supernatural consciousness, if any.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Rev. Daniel Scott on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Hated it. Hated the demotion.

I mean, people often call it the dwarf planet now. You know another name for dwarf? Midget/midgit.

And is that to mean that midgets/midgits are any less of people! NO! Except, in most cases, mass. BUT IRRELEVANT.

Hated it.
Pastafarian Doctoral Dissertation: Accepted

Completed Works:

Biblical
OP:
Ghettisis (CH 1-10 complete)
He Who is a Servant of FSM
Narwhal
Couscousum
Zozuniah
To Build or Not To Build
Covenant of Olive

NP:
Midas
Sailamon
2, 3 ParmaJohn
Jude's Kitchen

Confucian
Confusion Analects: Book I

~~~~~Qapla', sak-khet, saith.~~~~~
~~~~~~Finna ilian un atra du~~~~~
~~~~~~evarínya ono varda.~~~~~~
~~~~Mára mesta, Eywa ngahu.~~~~
~~(tlhIngan, Rihannsu, Quenya...)~~
Rev. Daniel Scott
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm

I understand your anger, Rev. Scott, but here is where a little spin (if you'll excuse the pun) comes into play. Pluto is now in a class of its own, and not only that, is the most important amongst its peers.

:drinking:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Previous

Return to Scripture and Lore