Spreading the word to Fundimentalist Christians?

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Spreading the word to Fundimentalist Christians?

Postby nekk on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 am

Hi, my name is Nic, the newbie 15 year old here, and I have been enjoying myself at these forums for a bit, and I have learned much about the loving touch of His Noodly Appendage. My father is a fundamentalist Christian, and he has me going on a youth trip to Disney World (yay! :smile: ) with a group of fundamentalist Christian kids (boo! :facepalm: ). They are probably going to realize I am not a Christian somewhat early on in the trip, and chaos WILL ensue. I would like to know, would it be a bad idea to evangelize the love of the FSM to some of these poor, unsaved souls? Or would they not pick up on it? They aren't the smartest kids, and they are very much brainwashed, so I dunno how effective His word would be in their mind.

Thank you, more seasoned Pastafarian evangelists, for taking the time to teach me about spreading His love.

Questions about my father and his Churchplace are accepted, also, if anyone is interested :)
nekk
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Spreading the word to Fundimentalist Christians?

Postby Edd on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Just because you will have a captive audience doesn't mean you have to preach to them. That is actually one of the aspects of other religions I dislike most. Pastafarians, in general, cultivate a 'live and let live' approach. Be proud of who you are but don't mock others unnecessarily; they should be able to enjoy the trip as much as you do even if they happen to believe in something as silly as a creator that intentionally made the world the way it is.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby nekk on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Edd wrote:Just because you will have a captive audience doesn't mean you have to preach to them. That is actually one of the aspects of other religions I dislike most. Pastafarians, in general, cultivate a 'live and let live' approach. Be proud of who you are but don't mock others unnecessarily; they should be able to enjoy the trip as much as you do even if they happen to believe in something as silly as a creator that intentionally made the world the way it is.

I understand, but I fear that they will try and do the same to me. In this situation, I would like to present my views in the same manner they present theirs. I suppose "evangelizing" isn't the correct term, more like "defending".
nekk

Postby DavidH on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 pm

You have a very fine line to tread here, Nekk, it would test the skills of a professional diplomat.
The way I have often played it is: joke about their religion and the FSM. But lightly. They will want to be serious, but nobody likes to come across as a spoilsport or humourless. If you get it right you can keep them joining in your joke, unwilling to spoil the party, and take them further along the road of irreverence than they really want to go.
This has often worked for me, but not always, and it could backfire on you.
However you play it, I reckon you won't go far wrong if you can keep it lighthearted. Edd is so right about that.
Good luck! :evilgrin:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:11 pm

I'd personally go with "if you don't tell me about your religion, I won't tell you about mine". If they still can't resist, then go for it - they opened the door, all you have to do it follow their cues - and have fun. They tend to work out very quickly it just ain't worth it.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52 am

Welcome Nic.

On a trip like this, I'd advise you to tread very carefully. At 15, on this trip you are dependent on the chaperones to look out for your well-being, and to get you safely back home. And I will assume that the adults are also fundamentalists, and might not take kindly to your spreading the Good Word about His Noodliness. If that's not the case, and the adults are not fundies, I might have different advice.

I'd recommend caution and tact here. If you evangelize, especially early in the trip, I'd envision a long miserable trip for you at the very least. If they are the crazy sort, they might even decide that they can't have you along for the rest of the trip. I've heard of such things happening. Dont risk it.

If the subject of your beliefs comes up, say that it's private, and you don't care to discuss it. You can let them have the full blast of the Noodly Goodness once you are safely home. Except that, whatever you say may get back to your dad, and you haven't told anything about how understanding he is or isn't. You are still going to be dependent on your parents for several years at the very least, it's best if those years can be tolerable.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby nekk on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:14 am

Thank you, everyone, for the great advice! I will keep it in mind while I am on my trip, and I will try to have a good time, despite religious differences :)

I will be away from tomorrow to about 3 days later, but I will try and remember to post back here letting you know if anything happened :)

--Nic
nekk

Postby nekk on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Ahoy! Just returned from me trip, and I must say it was great fun, once I got past the religious brainwashing :)

Only a few people engaged about my laptop screensaver, the FSM in all His glory, and nothing got too out of hand (yay!).

My favorite religion related moment was when a youngin', probly 13 or so, was caught throwin' a penny into a fountain and makin' a wish fer sum good luck. Th' youth couns'ler scolded him for his "Superstitiousness" for what seem'd to be about 5 minutes at th' least, sayin' that throwin' pennies in a fountain doesn't do any'thin fer anybody, and it is a waste o' time and energy. They then joined th' rest o' th' group, an' proceeded to pray that everyone in the park that day would get saved! :haha:

Also, I was a bit disappointed in the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride... I di'nt see His Noodlyness anywhere! :annoyed:

But, overall, it wasn't a bad trip, and I had a good time (even tho' it was a bit cold fer some of the rides ther, splash mountain was cert'inly one of 'em! So cold! :S )
nekk

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:55 pm

nekk wrote:My favorite religion related moment was when a youngin', probly 13 or so, was caught throwin' a penny into a fountain and makin' a wish fer sum good luck. Th' youth couns'ler scolded him for his "Superstitiousness" for what seem'd to be about 5 minutes at th' least, sayin' that throwin' pennies in a fountain doesn't do any'thin fer anybody, and it is a waste o' time and energy. They then joined th' rest o' th' group, an' proceeded to pray that everyone in the park that day would get saved!

Epic facepalm moment, there. I wonder if the youth counselor fostered (or will foster) a belief in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy in his or her own offspring, or how he/she feels about having such superstitions dumped on him/her by his/her own parents. It never ceases to amaze me how the rules only apply SOME of the time.
Glad to hear you had fun, Nekk, and hopefully you'll be a regular around here going forward! Happy Monkey!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby DavidH on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Good news, nekk, well played. The annoying thing to me is that the youth counsellor was IMO quite right about the coins thing. :facewall:

Glad you had a good time, have a happy monkey.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby bacon on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Many times the people who operate the fountains clean the change out and donate the proceeds to charity. So, sometimes it does do some good.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby nekk on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks everyone for responding :D

I kinda have a noob question I was wondering about... What is "Monkey"? I assume it is a holiday? I thought the holiday was called holiday :x
nekk

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

nekk wrote:Thanks everyone for responding :D

I kinda have a noob question I was wondering about... What is "Monkey"? I assume it is a holiday? I thought the holiday was called holiday :x

I had the same question when I first joined. If I have this right, we say Happy Monkey to include all the Holidays this time of year and not just Christmas since some of us do not celebrate Christmas.
I am sure someone out there can explain it better.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 pm

On Pharyngula two years ago, a godbot commenter said, "Until then, happy monkey! (or what ever non Christmas evolution people say) ". It has spread from there.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Return to The Cause