Whisk(e)y

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 am

When they are malting the barley, they soak it and lay it out on a malting floor to allow it to germinate. Once it has germinated, it needs to be dried before it can be ground up to make the mash. This is the stage at which a whisky can acquire its smoky flavour by being dried over a smoky peat fire.

The majority of the peaty flavour comes from the water that is used to make the whisky, rather than from the malt being dried over a peat fire. Some Islay whiskies taste quite iodine-y, that comes from the malt being dried over a fire of dried seaweed.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 am

I'm not too keen on Famous Grouse. The actual flavour is quite pleasant but there's a definite aftertaste of ethanol. It outs me in mind of what I think a Bell's mixed with vodka would taste like :confused:

Also, Sainsburys had litre bottles of Bell's for 12 quid on Monday but I'd left my driving license at home when I was doing my CRB form. When I got back today they'd sold them all :grumpy:
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 am

Here's a little tid-bit for you guys:
I just received a catalog that advertises Whisky Stones.
" Whether you spell it "whisky" or "whiskey", whether you call it rye, bourbon, or Scotch, you know the importance of serving it right: neat, slightly chilled, in a handsome glass.
Set includes 6 "whisky stones". Chill the stones in the freezer and cool your drink without diluting it."

The "set" also comes with two mouth- blown, non lead Avva crystal tumblers.
All for just $69.95 (US) or $42.94 (British Sterling Pound)
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:59 am

I Googled to determine what was meant by "neat" in reference to whiskey, and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gH4q5Fmrpg

I also found the actual definition, of course, but this is still mildly cool, I think.

Alternately, they could have simply lifted one glass, moved the other one over, and placed the first glass where the other one had previously been, but I don't think that would have had the same effect... :tongue:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Hmm. While I'm not going to say it's definitely fake it doesn't seem plausible to me. When you mix two liquids without agitation what you normally get is a fuzzy boundary layer and two clean layers which, over time, become one homogeneous solution.

I cannot see any simple way to have the liquids change places like that video showed without violating the Second Law. Unless of course the 'water' is actually a non-polar oil like lighter fluid :wink:

Edit - Having watched it again it seems to not be transferred through the card but through a small gap at one side of the glass. I may have to try this :scientist:
daftbeaker

Postby AUSloth on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Good trick! The points i'm looking at are:
First (and probably most important) magicians let the punters make the assumptions, looking at viscosity of colourless fluid during pour it doesn't quite flow right for water and has a high meniscous when filled the other fluid does not have to be whisky because its in a whisky bottle but it definitely has a lower viscosity when pouring.

Two if transfer occured through the card (ie pinholes) you should see a stream more likely it travels around the side of the card which will run it up the side of the glass making hard to see from the front on angle.

Three sufficient difference in density will prevent intermix and "cloudy" fringe effects from diffusion. The low volume laminar flow up the side of the glass will minmize intermix by turbulance (clear fluid pools on top of the lower glass so unless you get a close look at the transfer point it will be hard to see)

Four (sticky point) boths fluid need high enough viscosity for the suction created in the inverted glass to prevent fluids moving around the card from flowing out the gap between glasses.

Five I think its critical that all air is excluded from the shot glasses for it to work.

Two things i'd like to see are where the liquids are after another 10 min then the shots being skulled.

STILL A COOL TRICK THOUGH!
AUSloth
Ziti Zealot

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I have hit on a cunning way of avoiding adding too much water to whisky by using one of the syringes I nicked from the lab last year :scientist:

I'm not too sure about adding water in the first place though, it seems to take away a lot of the bite. It definitely changes the flavour but I'm not sure I prefer it.

Oh, I got a quarter cask Laphroaig that was going cheap at Tesco, I'm slightly disappointed it doesn't go cloudy when mixed with water but it does taste quite nice :wink:
daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Laphroaig actually does smell similar to Iodine. I have a 100g bottle of resublimed Iodine on my bookshelf and tested this. it doesn't have the same acrid sting that I2 has but the general smell is rather similar.
daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:56 am

Look for a picture of the Laphroaig distillery - it is right on the edge of the water on the southern coast of Islay, hence the seaweedy influence (in fact, if you go into the local cafe and get a cup of tea, it tastes slightly iodine-y: the cows sometimes graze on the beach, so the milk takes on a funny taste). The distillery also says LAPHROAIG in big letters on the side, to guide drunken sailors ashore for more supplies.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I think Bell's is my favourite blend, it tastes like whisky without the nasty ethanol aftertaste I got from Famous Grouse. Also, I really like Laphroaig now, I'm going to have to nip down to Tesco next time they have it on offer and grab a few bottles.

All in all, the whisky experiment has been a success. I still can't tell the difference between a single malt and a blend but I do know what I like now :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Laphroaig is rather tasty. I prefer it to Glenfiddich which I acquired a bottle of during christmas, much more flavour and less stinging ethanol taste :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Yay. Someone gave me a bottle of BNJ for Christmas. :drinking:

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

We have a wee bottle of Highland Park to bring in the bells. :drinking:

Got to take it easy, though, as The Boy has some friends coming over for the evening... :paranoid:

including girls... :shocked:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Got to take it easy, though, as The Boy has some friends coming over for the evening... :paranoid:

That's an argument for not taking it easy.

Roy Hunter wrote:including girls... :shocked:

And that's an argument for wearing the dalek helmet while you do so.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 pm

PKMKII wrote:That's an argument for not taking it easy.
Yes, but not the sort of argument that convinces my wife. Fuck rationality, I need spousal approval ratings these days.

PKMKII wrote:And that's an argument for wearing the dalek helmet while you do so.
The Dalek helmet was my 10 year-old nephew's. He got it for his 7th birthday. It has long since gone the way of all toys. Maybe I'll have to buy one on eBay...

The Highland Park is lovely. I swapped a few PMs with Black Bart (I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this) about a choice of whisky for Monkey, and I talked him into getting a Highland Park. It would seem I talked myself into it too. I hope he is as happy with my choice as I am...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Food