Pastafarians for Reason

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Pastafarians for Reason

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:27 am

There are several good locations to meet around there, lots of landmarks. There's lots of statues, the Capitol reflecting pool, the Botanical Conservatory, the American Indian Museum grounds, and the National Gallery sculpture garden. Much better than the Monument for meetup sites. I know American Humanists are having a meetup at their HQ, but I don't think that's anywhere close by. I'll have to think about it and see what a good spot might be, one that's easy to find.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Oh FSM, the HuffPo buses have a 5:30am check-in, 6:00am departure. I'm going to have to sleep on the bus.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:59 am

PKMKII wrote:Oh FSM, the HuffPo buses have a 5:30am check-in, 6:00am departure. I'm going to have to sleep on the bus.
...and wake up with glasses and a moustache drawn on your face in marker pen.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I've got a bad feeling about that. Isn't that the bit that keeps getting blown up in various monster / alien invasion movies?

Cardiff gets a lot of bother with Doctor Who monsters...I never go there.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:There are several good locations to meet around there, lots of landmarks. There's lots of statues, the Capitol reflecting pool, the Botanical Conservatory, the American Indian Museum grounds, and the National Gallery sculpture garden. Much better than the Monument for meetup sites. I know American Humanists are having a meetup at their HQ, but I don't think that's anywhere close by. I'll have to think about it and see what a good spot might be, one that's easy to find.

Well we've got less than a week before the big shebang, so we ought to come up with a locale soon. Also, someone should send a message to Bobby when we figure it out, so he can make an announcement on the front page.
PKMKII

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 pm

How about the Ulysses S. Grant memorial? It's right by the Capitol, across some pond from where the event will be.

The closest metro stop is Federal Center SW, just two blocks South of Independence Avenue.

Since it looks like it's just myself, PK, and the Ubis going from the forum here, once we all approve this location (assuming there's no problems), I'll email Bobby. Unless someone else would prefer to do it.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 am

Sign idea that just came to me:

The FSM cares deeply about what you do in bed with another consenting adult
(It's actually really creepy)

Wording doesn't have to be exact, but the general idea. Maybe play up the creepy subline more, like adding "We've asked him to stop."
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am

black bart wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:I've got a bad feeling about that. Isn't that the bit that keeps getting blown up in various monster / alien invasion movies?

Cardiff gets a lot of bother with Doctor Who monsters...I never go there.

Good thing they didn't set it in Newport or it would have been boring as none of the monsters would want to go there :haha:
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:43 pm

The Grant statue is in a good location, but has a possible problem. It's so close to the Capitol that it often gets blocked off by security fences. And, with the Marine Corps Marathon the next day, chances are there will be a lot of security fences,

I suggest we go with a location that pretty much never gets blocked off, which would be the Museums.
The north side of the Mall is accessible from the Navy Memorial Archives Metro station, and it's not too far from Union Station, for anybody arriving on the train. Pokeman, do you know where your bus is supposed to let you off?

So, on the north side of the Mall, there is a large plaza between the east and west buildings of the National Gallery. There are some glass pyramids there, like the ones at the Louvre, it's really easy to tell that you're in the right place. I suggest this plaza. Since the rally starts at noon, and we'd want to get there in plenty of time, I recommend that we meet at 11:00, and perhaps plan to picnic there before hitting the rally. There should be no shortage of food trucks in the area.

Any better suggestions? And does anybody have a large pirate flag that we could have up? If we agree on a spot to meet, I'll email our prophet and see if he can put it on the main page for us.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Sounds good to me. I bet more people could direct you to the space between those museums than the grant memorial, anyway.

I've got a pirate banner, though I'd need to find some kind of pole to attach it to, and it's not like it's just a regular jolly roger. Also, I'll most likely end up hanging around DC for the rest of the day, one way or another, and I wouldn't really want to carry the flag around after the rally. Perhaps if you guys were leaving right after the rally, you could take it off my hands, and I could pick it back up at church the next day? It's not a huge deal either way. Just thinking...
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Telescopic fishing rod, Wal Mart, $15. It cannot be construed as a weapon, except by the most asshole of cops. I have been on a few demos in my time.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm

We could certainly bring the banner back for you. We may be going to the American Humanist reception after the rally, but there will be four of us, and we'll probably have a bag or two to carry signs in. So taking your banner back with us will likely be no big deal.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I suggest we go with a location that pretty much never gets blocked off, which would be the Museums. The north side of the Mall is accessible from the Navy Memorial Archives Metro station, and it's not too far from Union Station, for anybody arriving on the train. Pokeman, do you know where your bus is supposed to let you off?

RFK stadium, and from there I just get on the metro.
PKMKII

Postby Ubi Dubium on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

OK, I've emailed Prophet Bobby, and requested he post the meeting place. We'll see if he does. It would be really cool to have a really big crowd of pirates there.

And remember - signs have TWO sides, so you can get double the great slogans on view.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubius on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:OK, I've emailed Prophet Bobby, and requested he post the meeting place. We'll see if he does. It would be really cool to have a really big crowd of pirates there.

And remember - signs have TWO sides, so you can get double the great slogans on view.

Six, if the sign board is thick enough.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

PreviousNext

Return to FSM Gatherings