Pastafarians for Reason

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Pastafarians for Reason

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

Well, neither option is particularly cheap. The slow train would be $180, Acela would be over $300 (and oddly enough, is only about a half hour faster each way). I think I'll play the waiting game, it looks like they're going to have some sort of transportation thing officially connected to the event. I'll see what that ends up being.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 pm

That's true. Considering they're based in New York, and the fact that overall, there's probably a lot of New Yorkers going to it, it would makes sense for you all to organize something up there.

I'm just stoked about an opportunity to meet some more Pastafarians IRL. Even though I still need to figure out my own ride. XD
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Qwerty,
Used to be, Amtrak ran a train down your way. And back in the Dark Ages, there were regular Greyound buses. Don't know if any of that's still available. But I'd be very surprised if there weren't people at your school with cars that were planning on going.

Pokeman,
One advantage the train has is that you get to avoid DC traffic and the hassle of finding a parking space. Just come in to Union Station, take the subway to Smithsonian or Federal Triangle, and it's not a bad walk. If you do have to park, there's a garage under the Reagan Building on 14th St, north of the Mall. Tourists don't always find it, so there's often space on weekends. You'll have to pay of course, and they will check ID's and do a quick security check on you car, but it's better than spending an hour looking for street parking.

Now we need to find a good meetup point. The event is supposed to be on the north side of the Monument grounds, which can easily spill over onto the Ellipse. I'll see if I can find a statue or monument nearby that would be a good landmark for finding each other.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:I'll see if I can find a statue or monument nearby that would be a good landmark to vandalize and dress up in pirate regalia.

I'm actually using the train to get back up north for this weekend. But I figure driving is cheaper, so I try to look for rides before resorting to train for coming back for breaks or whatever. I hope I can find some people who are going to drive, but I think I'm in the minority as far as "liberal and active enough to want to go to DC for this." I'll be there, don't worry. :smile:
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:17 pm

A possibility. Looking at the maps, just north of the Monument grounds, across the street, there is the Second Division memorial. It's got a big flamey sword and looks like this:
That might be an easy to find landmark. The only good landmark on the Monument grounds is the Monument, and that's not really a pratical place to try to meet up with a group. Any other ideas? I thought of the food court at the Reagan building, but I'm not sure what time they open, or if they would be OK with a pirate invasion.

Qwerty, let us know if you need a ride in from your house. Though it might just be as far as the subway station. Or are your folks coming too?
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Not sure. It didn't occur to me that they would want to go, but if I was going they might. I'll still have to figure out my plans and all. But thanks for the offer, and I will keep that in mind.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Elvalia on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 pm

I wish I could go... it's still rugby season though, and late October is around midterm time. Find a rally-type thing around March Break, maybe I could take a drive down to the States around then?
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Honestly, this is america. We probably can. XD
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 pm

The Huffington Post is organizing buses to take people from NYC to the Rally. Should work for me, as long as it leaves the morning of the 30th and not the evening of the 29th, as I'll have prior obligations then.
PKMKII

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:41 pm

PKMKII wrote:The Huffington Post is organizing buses to take people from NYC to the Rally. Should work for me, as long as it leaves the morning of the 30th and not the evening of the 29th, as I'll have prior obligations then.

That's good news. I hope you make it.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:18 pm

I have signed up for the bus! Now all that's left is to come up with a funny sign...
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 am

We have a confirmed location for the rally!
PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 am

I've got a bad feeling about that. Isn't that the bit that keeps getting blown up in various monster / alien invasion movies?
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:16 pm

No Roy, it's safe. You see, they blow up the Capitol and the Washington monument. We'll be in between and have a great view.

My campaign friends are begging us not to go to the rally. The rally is on the last Saturday before the Congressional election and the campaigns want us knocking on doors to get out the vote. They'll be disappointed.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:A possibility. Looking at the maps, just north of the Monument grounds, across the street, there is the Second Division memorial.

I don't know if that meet-up spot is going to make sense in light of the announced locale. That's a good mile from 7th street. Perhaps someplace closer? (I'm not familiar enough with the area to suggest anything useful).
PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to FSM Gatherings