What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Duke on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:00 pm

Galapagosian wrote:
Duke wrote:
Auntie Dee Dee wrote:"Do Androids Dream..." was the base story for Blade Runner.

Yeah! I want to see the movie so much it hurts, but I have been unable to. I heard the flim was good.

Duke

Make sure you see the director's cut (without Harrison Ford's voiceover).

Is that on the DVD? I will get it when I go back to Marin for holidays.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Galapagosian on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Duke wrote:
Galapagosian wrote:
Duke wrote:
Auntie Dee Dee wrote:"Do Androids Dream..." was the base story for Blade Runner.

Yeah! I want to see the movie so much it hurts, but I have been unable to. I heard the flim was good.

Duke

Make sure you see the director's cut (without Harrison Ford's voiceover).

Is that on the DVD? I will get it when I go back to Marin for holidays.

Duke

I would think it would be, although I've heard of some surprising older movies that aren't. You can always check Amazon.
"Oh yeah, 'ooh!' 'aah!', that's how it always starts, but then later there's running. And then screaming..."
Galapagosian
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Duke on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm

Ok, thanks!

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby TheArchitect on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 am

I just finished The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman and was very impressed. I finished it in under five hours of reading, mostly straight. I love it, I love it, I love it. :D
TheArchitect
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:20 pm

TheArchitect wrote:I just finished The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman and was very impressed. I finished it in under five hours of reading, mostly straight. I love it, I love it, I love it. :D

You must have had time to kill.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby vallerand on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:38 am

TheArchitect wrote:I just finished The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman and was very impressed. I finished it in under five hours of reading, mostly straight. I love it, I love it, I love it. :D

I finally found a copy of The Ambe Spyglass. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reread the first two though, it's been a couple years.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rebeckle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Anyone read "Foucault's Pendulum"? Errrr.... *reconsiders tendency to read shite no one else cares about*

Hmmm... I avoided all that Davinci Code hype... and Harry Potter... and John Grisham... and basically everything I ever heard was popular.

I suffer from chronic "Pop literature aversion" and apparently, it is making me miss quite a few good books.

I liked "The Picture of Dorian Grey".... *twiddles thumbs*
Rebeckle
Farfalle First Mate

Postby vallerand on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Rebeckle wrote:Anyone read "Foucault's Pendulum"? Errrr.... *reconsiders tendency to read shite no one else cares about*

Hmmm... I avoided all that Davinci Code hype... and Harry Potter... and John Grisham... and basically everything I ever heard was popular.

I suffer from chronic "Pop literature aversion" and apparently, it is making me miss quite a few good books.

I liked "The Picture of Dorian Grey".... *twiddles thumbs*

I read Foucalt's Pendulum when it first came out. I preferred Name of the Rose.

Dorian Grey was good, have you read The Importance of Being Earnest?
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rebeckle on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:08 am

No, but I saw it performed at a local theatre. Absolutely hilarious. Oscar Wilde was a genius... sardonic, smart, irreverent... I could go on and on.
Rebeckle
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Capellini on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:52 pm

The recent movie version was great, too. I love Colin Firth.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:13 pm

I am reading The Street Lawyer, by John Grisham.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby LeftLogic1 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 pm

I have just read Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry. Star Wars fans, or anyone looking for a really good book, this is very good.
LeftLogic1
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Duke on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:02 pm

LeftLogic1 wrote:I have just read Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry. Star Wars fans, or anyone looking for a really good book, this is very good.

I love that book, and it's author is most awesome.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby shillAT on Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:15 pm

l'Assomoir, by Emile Zola (one of the greatest writers of all time)
"I made my famous pasta suprise.The suprise was that I forgot the salt" -Paul West
From "A Year In the Merde", by Stephen Clarke
shillAT
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:59 am

I am now reading Heart of Darkness. Just started, on the first page. :fsm_crazy:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors