The Explain That Name Game

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Explain That Name Game

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:38 pm

This is my first major foray into this forum. I don't tend to stick around the games forum because I don't have time, but I'm just curious about this one.

I like to name things. Mostly I name my various dolls, or my characters in video games. Lately I've been playing Pokemon a lot, so I've been coming up with a lot of names. I like to be creative and cryptic with my names, and I'm wondering if anyone else does the same. It doesn't have to be something sentient or even based on such. It could be a plant, or a car, or a house, or whatever.

So, this game is two-fold: You post a name that you've given to someone or something. From here, you can either A) Ask us to guess where the name came from or why you named it/them thusly, giving hints if you wish, or B) explain the name yourself if you think it's really impossible to guess. I shall give examples of both now.

A) Guess the explanation

Me: I named my favorite mug "Forrest" (not really, but for the sake of example). Why?
Nef Yoo: iz et becuz yoo eet shwimp fwom et? rrrrrrrrr :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :shellfish: :barf: :shellfish:
Me: No. Here's a hint: it has to do with the decor of the mug.
Calico Jack: The mug has trees on it! Good for pooping on Nef Yoo from above! ACK!
Me: Correct!

B) Explanation given

I named my plush duck that I received as a child "Afkyafk" (pronounced AFK-ee-AFK). He originally belonged to my sister. Somehow he became mine and I don't know how, I was too young to remember. Eventually she lorded this fact over my head to make me cry. Anyway, I named him Afkyafk because I wanted to give him an original name that was hard for anyone but myself to pronounce, and boy did I succeed. Even my fiancée can't get it right, pronouncing it AFK-yafk.

----

So that's basically how it works. Only sort of a game, I know, but it might still be fun while it lasts.

I gave you an given explanation example, so now I'll give you a couple real guessing ones:

I have a bumblebee crocheted for me by my fiancée, Ashley. I named her Debbie Brunelleschi. Why?

Also, I have a Grimer in Pokemon Sapphire, who may eventually evolve into Muk. I named him Moneysonny. Why?
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: The Explain That Name Game

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 am

Oh my! I'm glad you don't often make threads here - this one is really hard!

I would guess that "Debbie" has something to do with "Der (the) Bee" but all I know about Brunelleschi is what I can remember from a programme about Renaissance architecture. He was involved, if I remember correctly, in the building of an amazing domed church where the dome was layers of brickwork (I think) that looked like a giant old-fashioned beehive. I should google it but I can't be bothered.

"Where there's muck there's brass" is an old Yorkshire saying (where my mother comes from) and brass has been used for coins.

OK, how far off am I?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:09 am

I hope you're right for all our sakes.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:46 am

Tig, you're right about the dome, although I was thinking it looked like a bumblebee's ass sticking out of the ground (with the cross on top as the stinger), but I suppose the hive works just as well. :lol:

As for "Debbie", that's interesting, but this part is a lot more simple than that. Debbie is a diminutive form of "Debra", if that helps.

Err... I've never been to Yorkshire and I've never heard of that saying, nor have I ever heard of brass coins. I'd imagine they wouldn't be very valuable. Try again. :tongue:

EDIT: I'll give you a hint: It's from a movie. I've never seen it, but I know a few things about it from my quest for knowledge in another area.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Ubi Dubius on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Did your bumble bee do Dallas?
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:28 pm

NO! :mad:

Really, the Debbie part is really straightforward.

I'll give another hint about Moneysonny the Grimer that will basically give it away if you know the movie: Guessing game spoiler!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am

Alright, alright.

First one: What is the literal meaning of the name "Debra"? I'm telling you, it's simple!

As for the second one, you need a hint about the title of the movie? If you want it, here it is: If Jesus was The Magic Jew, what might that make Mohammed?
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 am

It's Hebrew for bee.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:46 am

YES!

FSM almighty, I needed to squeeze that out of you!

What about the other one?
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Anything to do with Alice Cooper or Gore Vidal?
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr, actually.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Can anyone explain Ken Worley?

:grin:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Either some kind of artist/photographer, or a war hero.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm opting for the artsy one -- those paintings look texturized with bus sandings.

But that still doesn't explain him. :grin:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Uther on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Moneysonny.

An old family name? Mother's Maiden Name? Nick-name of honour given to any adult boy-child not on the Dole?
Uther
Sorcerer of Sauce

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes