FSM Presence at Q'ran Burning?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

FSM Presence at Q'ran Burning?

Postby kevinf on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm in Gainesville and many groups are converging on Sept 11 to protest the Q'ran burning. I hope other pirates will make the pilgrimage, despite lack of tall ship parking.
kevinf
Conchigliette Convert

Re: FSM Presence at Q'ran Burning?

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 am

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Can't be there myself. I'm proud there will be a pastafarian presence! Raise the skull and crossbones for me, Kevin!
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 am

The problem is that they're not burning Q'rans as a fee speech demonstration, or a memorial of 9/11, or even a demonstration against extremist Islam. The reason they give for burning the Q'ran is that it's evil, and against God. That seems a bit too radical and, frankly, stupid, for my comfort.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:12 am

General Patraeus (sp?) was on BBC news last night, saying that the Q'ran burning was having a negative impact on the 'hearts and minds' campaign in Afghanistan, as the actions of one American loony was attracting hostility towards the Army presence there.

So I suppose you could go down the "You don't support the troops" line? Probably that would play better to the American public than "You're a mouth-foaming lunatic has wouldn't know a Muslim if they beat you up with a shoe".
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:11 am

I can't believe they're going to set fire to Cat Stevens...he doesn't even exist any more and I really liked 'Tea for the Tillerman'.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:40 pm

wot!?

no parrkin fer tall shups!

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i not gowin den .

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Appears Mr. Jones, or as Billie789 of Huffington Post called him, "The Leader of the Squidbillies," has canceled the Koran burning. Presumably, he canceled due to the fact that 6,866,599,999 out of 6,867,600,000 people thought it was a bad idea.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey, I was in favour of it too. Not for the reasons he had but I'm generally in favour of things that point out religious rules only apply to people that follow that religion, not everyone.

And yes, I'd have suggested he burn some Bibles and copies of On The Origin Of Species as well, I'm fair :wink:

Edit - I've just seen his awesome 'tache, how could I not agree with it after that? :haha:
daftbeaker

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm

While I do agree with the idea that books and symbols only have the meaning we give them... I think it's depends on the intent.

Like, when PZ throws a way a wafer, or an atheist burns a bible to prove a point like "Hey, it's just a book and a silly belief system, don't get so worked up about it." That's one thing. But when an extreme Christian burns a Qu'ran, or whole piles of them, because of hatred towards the religion, to hurt people because of their beliefs, that's a slightly more serious thing.

I'd probably be against burning a Bible or The Origin of Species just because, well, making that point is also kind of dumb and unnecessary, and book burning is in general stupid.

There's also the whole international getting along thing... Burning a Qu'ran, and being upset about it are both sort of silly in a way, but at the same time both viewpoints generate hatred and disunity. Hopefully the fact that he's changed his mind will show many Muslims that even someone like him isn't so extreme, and that most of us aren't that crazy to begin with.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:14 pm

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
i not alowd ta burn enyfing enymoor :confused: :cry: :bored:
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
an et bad fer ta burn bookes :furious:
wot ya gunna do fer toylit papur!?
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Rights come with corresponding responsibilities.

The right that this narrow-minded sock puppet has asserted to burn the Q'ran has caused three deaths already. I would ascribe the responsibility for those deaths to him. Personally. Make him write the letters to the bereaved. Make him meet them and explain himself.

I heard him on the radio the other morning: "If we back down over this, when do we stop backing down? When do we stop and say that's far enough?" Before people start dying, you fumb duck.

In Luke 6:35 God apparently wrote:But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I'd probably be against burning a Bible or The Origin of Species just because, well, making that point is also kind of dumb and unnecessary, and book burning is in general stupid.

There's also the symbolism behind book-burning. It doesn't just send the message that the burners have issue with the content of the book(s); it also sends a message of suppression. That the ideas expressed in the book(s) should not be allowed in society. So the burning of the Koran is saying, "The expression of these ideas should not be allowed." And I don't think any of us want a society like that.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:The right that this narrow-minded sock puppet has asserted to burn the Q'ran has caused three deaths already. I would ascribe the responsibility for those deaths to him. Personally. Make him write the letters to the bereaved. Make him meet them and explain himself.

Why? Draw Muhammad day almost certainly caused an increase in tension in Afghanistan with resultant deaths, I didn't see anyone demanding that people who drew Muhammad send letters of apology. If they choose to be offended over this that's their choice, and it is a choice.

Someone is quite welcome to buy their own copies of everything written by Darwin, Dawkins, Pratchett and Sharpe and burn it all. I can either throw a massive incoherent rage and shoot people or I can accept that they did what they wanted with their property.

No-one gets a free pass to go killing others because an object they like has been burnt. You want someone to write a letter of apology? Try asking the people that fired the shots.

Edit - From that BBC article Roy linked, it appears security guards fired the shots as people were attempting to breach a NATO base. I don't see a need for anyone to apologise for that, the same way I wouldn't see a need for anyone to apologise if I ran up to Number 10 and was shot by Special Branch.

Also, do these comments not disturb the rest of you the way they scare me? Remember they're talking about a book that Jones has bought. (The red writing and bolding is mine.)

The BBC wrote:Some demonstrators burned a US flag and chanted "Death to Christians".

President Karzai said: We have heard that in the US, a pastor has decided to insult Korans. Now although we have heard that they are not doing this, we tell them they should not even think of it.Why not, f***face? By burning the Koran, they cannot harm it. So burning it makes no difference? The Koran is in the hearts and minds of one-and-a-half billion people. Insulting the Koran is an insult to nations.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said: I'm of course aware of the reported cancellation of the deplorable act by Terry Jones. However, none of us can be complacent until such a despicable idea is totally extinguished.Anyone else up for a fatwah?

The top US general in Afghanistan, Gen David Petraeus, warned earlier this week that the lives of Americans serving abroad would be endangered if the Koran burning went ahead. Right, because we've only been over there seven years, killing civilians, torturing innocents, massacring wedding parties and journalists, they've been playing nice up until now. The fact that over a thousand coalition troops, most of them American, have died already doesn't register? The second someone burns their own property, then it's all going to kick off?
daftbeaker

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Someone is quite welcome to buy their own copies of everything written by Darwin, Dawkins, Pratchett and Sharpe and burn it all. I can either throw a massive incoherent rage and shoot people or I can accept that they did what they wanted with their property.

That's not exactly a fair comparison. You don't believe (and keep in mind I mean a very strong belief) that those books are written by, or at least inspired by God, and that it's the most central message in the entire universe.

One interpretation of Karzai's statement is "It really doesn't accomplish anything to burn the Qu'ran, except to piss off people with guns. It's also really insulting to many of us who won't necessarily do anything violent about it, so for both our sake, and the sake of world peace, could you not do that?"

I would agree with Yudhoyono, too. Perhaps not with those same words, or any implied violent/forceful actions, but I personally won't be satisfied until everyone realizes and agrees that this kind of behavior is stupid and unhelpful, and doesn't do it. Granted, I'll probably never be satisfied in this, but there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection.

And as far as Petreaus's comments, I'm not going to defend any actions of the U.S. in the middle east, but from their perspective, what they're doing as the military is necessary, and burning Qu'rans isn't. I mean, no one wants to go to war in general terms, we do it because the results we're looking for outweigh the cost, at least from the perspective of the people in charge. Burning the Qu'ran is a net loss. It doesn't accomplish anything in the middle east, it only is fuel for the fundamentalists, and will increase violent acts against U.S. soldiers, and possibly others.

*Whistles that one tune from Life of Brian*
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Next

Return to All Things FSM