Earworms!

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Earworms!

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 am

The other day at work, this randomly popped into my head. I'm not sure why, but it's been firmly lodged inside my skull ever since. :facewall:
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 pm

That's a very cool song. Can you sing the whole thing from memory?
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:51 pm

No, not yet. So far, I can only get to Venezuela, which definitely isn't very far. That makes it especially bad when it gets stuck in my head. I just end up singing the same few lines for hours.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Going back a couple pages, "One-Winged Angel" is awesome, but I prefer the Final Fantasy VII Reunion Tracks version by far. It doesn't have the metal guitar arrangement, which I find distracting from the beauty and power of the more classical arrangement has. The metal version is actually quite irritating to me. I even like the beepy synth version from the original game better.

Reunion Tracks is basically just a significantly condensed version of the full soundtrack, except three tracks have been fully orchestrated, and if you rewind past the beginning of the first track on some copies, an instrumental (without chorus) version of OWA will play. Here's the Reunion Tracks version with the chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnBmLuR ... 1&index=12

I rarely sing Bananaphone anymore, but I still sing Tutti Frutti frequently. I wonder if that song will ever get old?

A womp bomp a loo mop, a good goddamn! Tutti frutti, loose :moon: !
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ubidubikid #1 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:48 am

I love screaming electric guitar in orchestral music. I've been a fan of the transiberan orchestra since I was little, and their best use it. (Look up Christmas eve in Sarajevo if you're interested.) I suppose it appeals to my "throw out the rules" side, electric guitar seems like something that should never be in an orchestra, but I find they go together pretty well actually. (Like french fries dipped in a milkshake, it's awesome, I'm serious.) I don't find that the guitar over powers it, it might if it was randomly thrown into a piece, but if it was composed with a guitar part from the beginning, leaving it out makes the song sound like there's a big gaping whole in it. The focus of a painting may detract from the wonderful details, but you shouldn't rip it out. (For one thing security would get mad at you and kick you out, and then the museum would sue you for the damages, wait, I guess that's who things, hmm...)
ubidubikid #1
Chitarra Captain

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 am

This is the song that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on, my friends...

Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

But it WASN'T composed with an electric guitar part in it, and to me it DOES seem like just random guitar squealing thrown in without any rhyme or reason. Here's the original, FFVII version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU

Obviously it's nothing but synthesizer and vocals, but there's still no "guitar" synth patch, electric or otherwise, in there at all, nor any other instrument that lines up with the guitar part in the AC version.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ubidubikid #1 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Interesting. Still sounds like it's missing something to me though. Maybe it's simply because I heard the one with the guitar first. I think it sounds a lot better with it. It makes it sound more... actiony.

*Is somewhat embarrassed for not doing proper research before posting, but would like to add that it wasn't randomly thrown in, but very carefully thrown in. They didn't simply replace a part with it, but wrote an additional complementary one,that I find completes the piece. *
ubidubikid #1
Chitarra Captain

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Maybe if the guitar wasn't so loud, with the orchestra so quiet. If it was mixed differently, perhaps I'd like it more.

Nobuo Uematsu, the composer, has said that he always considered it a rock song, even before the drums and electric guitar. The opening notes, he has said, were inspired by Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze", incidentally.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Not so much an earworm but I've been listening to the new(ish) Offpsring album and can't work out what this song reminds me of (notty words).

I thought it was Sophie Ellis Bextor but apparently not.
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 am

I've had Detective Dick Gumshoe's theme from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney stuck in my head since I first heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBOv1Ce6olA

Not sure why he's just standing there laughing in that video, but it's got the music.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Pythonist on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 pm

I've had "Robots" by Flight of the Conchords stuck in my head for the last few days now...
Pythonist
Chitarra Captain

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I love that song! Frankly, I love everything they do.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks to Roy

Roy Hunter wrote:..."Mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy, a kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:18 am

After reading the Brick testament I got stuck with 'Any Dream will do' from Joseph!!!!
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors