Smoked garlic

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Smoked garlic

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:48 pm

I like a nice paella during the summer, and paella tastes fantastic if you can get your hands on smoked garlic to make it with. Unfortunately, opportunities to buy smoked garlic are few and far between, so here's my question.

Given that I live in a flat and I don't have a garden, what is the best way for me to smoke garlic myself without incurring the wrath of my neighbours and the Fire Brigade, and without dyeing kitchen a dirty yellow colour? I have a fairly standard kitchen, a fairly standard stove, but I know absolutely nothing about smoking stuff. Oh - I should add that I am quite badly asthmatic, and breathing in lots of smoke could kill me.

I am expecting that Scott and PG will have something to offer, but does anyone else have any ideas?
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: Smoked garlic

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Saint Jamie Oliver has a home smoking instruction using a biscuit tin here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/smoked-salmon-with-chilli-salsa

It's for fish (and on the Jamie Oliver forum people have tried other meats and fish), so don't know how it would work with garlic, but worth a try. Saint Jamie does recommend doing it outside or on the BBQ if you don't want to make your kitchen smoky. I was looking at it and thinking that if it's a nice day, try doing it in your garden with your camping gas stove.

CF
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Depending on how bored you are you could probably cook up a pretty efficient indoor smoker.

A flowerpot with two circles of chickenwire to hold the charcoal and garlic. Duck tape a funnel upside down to the top and put a line of plastic hose on top of that. Running that through to an aspirator should pull the smoke through and dissolve most of it.

Should be able to do that on your hob. As usual actually following my ideas is probably dangerous and I accept no responsibility for anything :wink:
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby KC Observer on Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 pm

I have found that the best way to smoke garlic is to crush or mince it and use a water bong. Smoking it with rolling papers makes for a harsher toke. :jack: :wink:
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed May 19, 2010 3:48 pm

KC Observer wrote:I have found that the best way to smoke garlic is to crush or mince it and use a water bong. Smoking it with rolling papers makes for a harsher toke. :jack: :wink:
Twenty years ago, I might have tried that...

:crusty_old_FSM:
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby KC Observer on Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 am

I have also found that garlic shoots are tasty to use like chives on a salad. growing garilic is rediculously easy. weait for a few of your cloves to sprout and the just stick 'em in the ground, shoot side up. even of the clove doesn't produce well, one can use the shoots on their salads. You do have to be patient though; the cloves take some time to prodice mature bulbs.
KC Observer
Mod

Postby PantyGnawer on Mon May 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Whatever you do it will have to be outside. Do you have a grill?
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Return to Food