What happens when people actually start believing in FSM?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: What happens when people actually start believing in FSM?

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 am

I miss Iamtoo. :sad: :haha:

I left them a nice comment to cheer them up. :haha:
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby tehrabbit on Sun May 02, 2010 4:02 am

If his head must come off, may it be by His Noodly Will that it be done.
As for faith, it is good to have faith in something. I, for one, have a hard time with a lot of this "religion" stuff out there (ie Christianity), but I find myself in need of some kind of powerful entity to better represent my very vague, very mishapped belief structure.
The FSM embodies such an image and represents much of my skepticism, yet holds true to a lot of my values, so I am comfortable, as a new convert, in calling on His Saucy Name to guide me through this pasta walk we call life.

So what happens when people actually start believing in FSM? I dunno, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Teh Rabbit
tehrabbit
Ziti Zealot

Postby m610 on Sun May 02, 2010 11:29 am

I too, have accepted the FSM into my life, but it's not so much a matter of faith as it is a theme. Themes can provide a framework for those nebulous parts of life. Besides, the FSM "theme" already fit well with my other operating themes.

Taking something as faith means you take something to be fact, but provisionally. Like, you are driving a car, and based on experience and a certain amount of faith in the highway department, and there hasn't been any flooding lately, you "know" the road just over the rise or around the bend does not abruptly end.

Or fundie friends probably would not go with that provisional part, saying that their faith is absolute, or unshakable. What they have is not faith, but a firm belief in something that has no basis, proof, whatever. Basically, just word of mouth, and book. Therefore, their faith is not in their God, but in the person who taught it to them. So they've confused these things - the thing they were told, and the person who told it to them. Then they start having confirming religious experiences. Now they are delusional.

When someone says the FSM actually appeared to them, spoke to them told them to kill the heathen or give money, then the FSM will have arrived as a conventional religion.

I'm very happy with this FSM theme. Life is better.
m610
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon May 03, 2010 8:25 am

m610 wrote:…Taking something as faith means you take something to be fact, but provisionally. Like, you are driving a car, and based on experience and a certain amount of faith in the highway department, and there hasn't been any flooding lately, you "know" the road just over the rise or around the bend does not abruptly end.…

When I was driving (car, bus or motorbike) I always assumed that the road I could not see did not exist.

It is amazing how often that simple assumption saved me from having an 'accident' and possibly serious injury or death!

I once had a young passenger in my taxi who told me that he thought it was safe to drive at higher speeds round tight corners on narrow country lanes at night "Because you can see if anything is coming the other way from their headlights!"

I asked him "What about the escaped flock of sheep? The herd of cows going for milking? The old lady cycling home from her church meeting? The pedestrian walking home from the pub? The straying dog or horse? The tractor parked with all its ploughing equipment filling the lane whilst the farmer opens the gate?"

His incredulous reply was "I've never seen any of those!"

"Well," I told him, "I have; ALL of them and more. Broken down cars. Floods. Branches and whole trees. Lots more besides. If you drive all the time assuming that there is something dangerous just out of sight, you won't have a problem whether you are right or wrong."

I hope he went on to become a defensive driver.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm

People should do the same by their religion. Sure, they "know" their God exists, but that doesn't mean they should go on a genocidal rampage about it.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ham Nox on Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm

m610 wrote:I too, have accepted the FSM into my life, but it's not so much a matter of faith as it is a theme. Themes can provide a framework for those nebulous parts of life. Besides, the FSM "theme" already fit well with my other operating themes.

That's a interesting way of putting it... It's true for me as well. The FSM theme has been very useful in picking out a wardrobe, as before I could never decide on any one theme--Purple? Green? Fall or Spring or Summer? Psychedelic? Gothic? Emo? Sleek? Frilly? Simple or Elegant? Geometric? Plaid or Stripes? Retro? How Retro? Elizabethan Retro or 80's Retro?ARRRGGGH I HATE FASHION!!!. The pirate theme really helps narrow down the choices to a less head-imploding range :zen:

Now whenever I'm faced with a difficult decision, all I have to do is ask myself "What Would A Pirate Do?"
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby tehrabbit on Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm

m610 wrote:I too, have accepted the FSM into my life, but it's not so much a matter of faith as it is a theme. Themes can provide a framework for those nebulous parts of life. Besides, the FSM "theme" already fit well with my other operating themes.

Perhaps "faith" is too strong a word. I guess the term I should've used was "paradigm of values".
tehrabbit
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Agreed. I say "I believe in the FSM" but I don't literally think flying spaghetti made the universe. It's just a symbol and a set of values, as you say, that I prescribe to. Though there is a bit more faith in it for me, as I'm not 100% atheist, and the FSM is the "face" for whatever divinity is out there that I don't quite feel comfortable discounting entirely.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby DiabloDoc on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 pm

People could bown down and worship much, much worse. I don't see any harm in it. I'll admit, the concept of God being an enormous mass of carbs that constracted our world in order to satisfy his/her own warped sense of humor almost had me prostrating within half an hour. I think Henderson is onto something. Maybe God is more like us than we realize. If he wasn't the type of guy you could sit down and enjoy a few beers with, I think our existance would be a very plain one.
DiabloDoc
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ubi Dubius on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 pm

DiabloDoc wrote:Maybe God is more like us than we realize.

Well, at least one major religion believes we were created in his image.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby bacon on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 pm

DiabloDoc wrote:If he wasn't the type of guy you could sit down and enjoy a few beers with, I think our existance would be a very plain one.

Yes, I agree, it would be a shame if you couldn't sit down and throw back a couple with God - have a few laughs, share some wings . . .If we couldn't do that, then we would be living a life of constant fear and would be worshiping for the sole purpose of saving our butts. Doesn't make sense, if God wasn't cool to hang with, why give him all the extra attention? Find another God that could kick his butt then, and worship him.

Personally, I love my Flying Spaghetti Monster (may pesto be unto him), and would wager that he is a more honest god then some of these other types floating around.

:worship: :fsm_float:
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Phoenix Wright on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:48 am

I dunno, my assistant Maya sure seems to take this stuff just a little too literally...
But who can blame her? She's got an overactive imagination. And a constant craving for ramen.

In all honesty, this is just the kind of thing the world needs to reveal its hypocritical nature - and for all aspects of the world, not only for religion.

(I still feel kinda stupid for doing this, but I feel like Maya is watching me...)

May you be touched by His noodly appendages,
Ramen.
Phoenix Wright
Conchigliette Convert

Postby pnutcat on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 am

i no taht Spaghetti Cat egzist, coz He r mi bestest fwendy, so teh Fline Spagmonsta mussed egzists 2, coz he r Spagmogs dadi. Taht r Y teh FSM bez sending Spaghetti Cat 4 2 worlks amung us wiv His noodliwhiskerage, Kthxbairamen.
pnutcat
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: What happens when people actually start believing in FSM

Postby CommanderTako on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm

trellis wrote:A thought just occurred to me. What would happen if someone came to this site, and thought "that looks good" and actually starts genuinely believing in all of this?
If people can believe in any other religion, then it's not too much of a leap of faith to think people could actually believe in the Spaghetti Monster is it?

The CotFSM is nothing new. Back the late 1800s someone else got tired of people trying to pass off their pseudoscience theories....

PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION.

To the various critics who reviewed unfavourably the first edition of this work, and to those also who wrote and published replies to it, my thanks are due and now respectfully tendered. They pointed out several matters which, on proper examination, were not, as evidence, entirely satisfactory; and as my object is to discover and hold to that only which is true beyond doubt, I have omitted them in the present edition. The true business of a critic is to compare what he reads with known and provable data, to treat impartially the evidence he observes, and point out logical deficiencies and inconsistencies with first principles, but never to obtrude his own opinions. He should, in fact, at all times take the place of Astrea, the Goddess of Justice, and firmly hold the scales, in which the evidence is fairly weighed.

I advise all my readers who have become Zetetic not to be content with anything less than this; and also not to look with disfavour upon the objections of their opponents. Should such objections be well or even plausibly founded,
they will only tend to free us from error, and to purify and exalt our Zetetic philosophy. In a word, let us make friends, or, at least, friendly and useful instruments of our enemies; and, if we cannot convert them to the better cause, let us carefully examine their objections, fairly meet them if possible, and always make use of them as beacons for our future guidance.

In all directions there is so much truth in our favour that we can well afford to be dainty in our selection, and magnanimous, charitable, and condescending towards those who simply believe, but cannot prove, that we are wrong. We need not seize upon every crude and ill-developed result which offers, or only seems to offer, the slightest chance of becoming evidence in our favour, as every theorist is obliged to do if he would have his theory clothed and fit to be seen. We can afford to patiently wait, care-fully weigh, and well consider every point advanced, in the full assurance that simple truth, and not the mere opinions of men, is destined, sooner or later, to have ascendancy.
My vains run red with the Divine Marinara for I am The Bolvine of Truthiness.
Godzilla ain't got nothing on me! With the 4 stomachs in my gut, I got more Truthiness in any one of my 8 pinkies than he has in his entire body!
CommanderTako
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: What happens when people actually start believing in FSM

Postby FireCat on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 pm

If someone came here and started believing in Pastafarianism
they might read his gospel and actually start liveing by his 8
'i'd really rather you didn't"s. Hmmmm, what a concept.

RAmen

Mike :bounce:
FireCat
Conchigliette Convert

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM