The Meeting or spotting the famous game.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Meeting or spotting the famous game.

Postby black bart on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 am

No one famous on the train today...I could go and hang around the Houses of Parliament in my lunch hour...

No...I've got better things to do.

I did get presented to Prince Charles when I was a lad ie I stood in a line outside the newly opened 'Neath Civic Centre' and Prince Charles said to the lad next to me 'nice tie' and then he gave me a funny look.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 am

black bart wrote:Prince Charles said to the lad next to me 'nice tie' and then he gave me a funny look.
Well, he is a member of the Royal Navy, and you are a pirate. A funny look is the absolute minimum you could expect under the circumstances.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:48 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:Prince Charles said to the lad next to me 'nice tie' and then he gave me a funny look.
Well, he is a member of the Royal Navy, and you are a pirate. A funny look is the absolute minimum you could expect under the circumstances.

:shocked: I never thought of it like that...narrowly missed Execution Dock there matey!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Oh, I met Prince Charles once too. I was part of a ceremonial honor guard for him when he visited The College of William and Mary in Virginia founded 1693 (yes, that's the full official name - it's hell during football games: "Give me a "T"! Give me an "H"! Give me an "E"! Give me a "C"! . . .) back in 1981.

A friend of mine put on a suit during the Prince's visit, added an ear piece, and stuffed handkerchiefs in his pockets so they'd bulge and pretended to be security. He figured there were so many agencies, everyone would assume he was with somebody else. He got some funny looks, but nobody challenged him.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:30 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:Oh, I met Prince Charles once too. I was part of a ceremonial honor guard for him when he visited The College of William and Mary in Virginia founded 1693 (yes, that's the full official name - it's hell during football games: "Give me a "T"! Give me an "H"! Give me an "E"! Give me a "C"! . . .) back in 1981.

A friend of mine put on a suit during the Prince's visit, added an ear piece, and stuffed handkerchiefs in his pockets so they'd bulge and pretended to be security. He figured there were so many agencies, everyone would assume he was with somebody else. He got some funny looks, but nobody challenged him.

That's a trifle alarming...he could have been a looney bent on bumping off Prince Charlie.

We've got plenty of spare Princes this time though.

It's a huge coincidence that we've both been chosen as honour guards for Charles isn't it?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 am

black bart wrote:It's a huge coincidence that we've both been chosen as honour guards for Charles isn't it?

No, it just shows the level of esteem he's held in. None of the English or Scots wanted to do it so they drafted in the Welsh and Americans :haha:
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:It's a huge coincidence that we've both been chosen as honour guards for Charles isn't it?

No, it just shows the level of esteem he's held in. None of the English or Scots wanted to do it so they drafted in the Welsh and Americans :haha:

:haha: I have no love of the royal family. I remember watching some event on TV with my family in the late '80s (probably a film premiere, royal variety show thing, or something like that) where the queen was greeting people, saying hello and shaking hands, and my Nan saying that most people didn't treat her with respect by bowing or curtseying low enough. The only people she praised were Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue. :shocked:
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:14 am

Kylie Minogue! :worship: :love:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 am

I've never really met anyone famous. Stood in line to get a book signed by Orson Scott Card once, and used to trade IMs with R.A. Salvatore.

I'm particularly jealous of Bacon, because I'm a big Penn and Teller fan.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:52 am

Rainswept wrote:I've never really met anyone famous. Stood in line to get a book signed by Orson Scott Card once, and used to trade IMs with R.A. Salvatore.

That reminds me...I nearly met Leonard Nimoy at a book signing once...I could see him through the window but the queue was too long so I didn't bother going in.

If only I could have beamed myself to the front of the queue.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm

black bart wrote:
Rainswept wrote:I've never really met anyone famous. Stood in line to get a book signed by Orson Scott Card once, and used to trade IMs with R.A. Salvatore.

That reminds me...I nearly met Leonard Nimoy at a book signing once...I could see him through the window but the queue was too long so I didn't bother going in.

If only I could have beamed myself to the front of the queue.

If you could have done that, he'd have wanted your autograph.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby m610 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Danika Patrick a while back, in her team's paddock area, not the autograph line, so that sort of counts as meeting her. I talked to her a bit about a woman in our town that was just breaking into the pro ranks of road racing.

I had lunch with Scott Ritter (weapons inspector, Iraq)once. He was visiting a faculty member on campus and we all went out for lunch. He had some interesting stories to tell about that whole portable bio-lab business.

I had Christmas dinner with Scott Wright, formerly a famous NY and LA radio DJ, now making wine in Oregon. We picked his brain all night for juicy stories about the famous band members he had met. Also stayed at his home in Malibu for a few days. They were filming Bay Watch on the beach below while I was down there doing some bouldering. They asked me if I could sort of stay off to one end of the rock so I didn't end up on camera.

My friend met Janis Joplin, Lenny Bruce, and a lot of people in that crowd, back in the 60's when he was a kid. They stayed at his (mom's) house. He said Janis liked to wear the long robe-like coats and was really one messed up young woman. Half-points?
m610
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Janis Joplin messed up? :shocked: :grin:
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 pm

You've still got it.

I met Berke Breathed at a book reading/signing once. Mike McPhee sat across the aisle from me on a loooooong bus ride back around 1980. Not a particularly pleasant fellow. Darren Puppa and one other eventual NHLer whose name escapes me were also on that trip. I saw Brad Park on a golf course from several hundred yards away. I was doing my land surveying thing and looking through a transit with really good optics - he had on shorts and I could see all the scars on his knees from all the surgeries. Looked like hamburger. I see the guvnor once in a while - we work for the same company. And Senator Collins walks down Main Street right past my house in the Memorial Day parade every year - last year she came over and shook my hand and said hello. At work, I recently received a form from author Bernd Heinrich with his autograph - he has finished building his cabin. My wife's old roommate from 20 years ago in Arizona is a news anchor for the Faux News affiliate out there - I've seen her facebook page, does that count?

There's a good chance I'll be on a first name basis with the next guvnor. My old Commissioner is running, and he's the dumbest one of the bunch. That particular statistic has a strong positive correlation with winning elections in the US, the exception being the current President. I'm sure we'll elect another moron next chance we get.
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 pm

My friend's dad met John Lennon when John played a gig in Burnley back in the 50s. I think that was back in his The Quarrymen days.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors